DVDVR Message Board

Zimbra

I figured we should have one of these for general strategizing.

Prison Architect is part of the new Humble weekly sale, but the catch is you have to pay at least $20 to get it.  It looks wicked interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm into it for twenty.  It looks like one of those games where everything will go to hell eventually no matter what you do and you just have to deal with the consequences; that's my favorite type of game.

In my latest CK2 game Holland just declared war on me (as the emperor of Britain) and somehow mustered up a 24k doomstack despite having just finished a civil war.  Between retinues and personal levies I can only pull about 16k, and most of my vassals are none too happy with me right now due to law changes.  So I might be well and truly screwed.

Don't suppose you got enough gold for a merc levy or two, do you?  Outside of that, pray to god you got guys with better marshal ability than your adversary.  

I can not get enough of the Song of Ice and Fire Mod for CK2.  It'll be even better when they get Essos up and running, but even without, its pretty damn awesome being Tohennen Stark and telling Aegon and his dragons to fuck off, and actually WINNING.  

Guest The Magnificent 7

I just haven't had the time to play much of CKII lately.  I dig hearing about others games in it, though.  I need some MAPS screenshots though with said doomstacks, son.

Best thing I did with CK2 was learning how to fight defensive wars, setting up armies, not linking the armies together so I can doomstack, and using the terrain to my advantage.

Saved me a TON of times once I figured out the engine.

How the hell are you an Emperor of Brittania and only have 16k?

My personal play was massively upgraded thanks to Arumba and his videos. The guy's really good and explains a lot of game mechanics in his videos (he went through game files and did some experiments and stuff).

I love CK2 and I love A Song of Ice and Fire, but that fucking mod is the most boring thing I've ever played. I've tried several scenarios and characters, but it's always so slow and static apart from the occasional mega-war (which I think is a great mechanic in theory, but just doesn't work that well when push comes to shove) and Dragon's are just the most OP thing of all OP things.

Currently I'm waiting on my friend's character to die and see what we're up with on Cumania.

My other games, which are kinda on halt, are:

- A Norse one where I started as a count in Iceland and I'm now the Emperor of Scandinavia and I'm just holy waring Francia and most of central Europe. Super easy stuff, norse pagan's are brutal.

- A double county Duke that is now the Sultan of most of the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa. I came to power in a fluke basically, since I started with a strong claim on the Kingdom.

- An alternate timeline of the succession game I'm playing with my friend, the split is right after the first character died but the game is massively different.

Arumba's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/arumba07?feature=watch

How the hell are you an Emperor of Brittania and only have 16k?

No idea; this is the first time I've made Emperor so I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be, troop-wise.  This is my first major war, so I haven't focused at much on my military as I should have.  Plus, his Royal Highness is quite the dumbfuck, so my demense is fairly small.  I can pull another 33k or so men from my vassals so I'll likely be fine if I manage the war.  I think I'll also put my idiot son in charge of an army and use this as an opportunity to get him killed.

You know what sucks in CK2,

Spending 3 Generations after winning the War of the Roses usurping and conquering all of England, Wales, Ireland, and a couple southern counties of Scotland, so that you can crown yourself Emperor of Britiannia.  Then not being able to destroy the Kingdom of Wales and Kingdom of England titles because you answered your Son-in-law's call to arms because he's got a jihad against him in Spain...

Then when you go incapable, you take over the heir, who gets hit with TWO succession wars at the same time, and while you manage to win one, you immediatly take a loss in the other and lose that work.  Then you get fucked right over again and get pushed into Seniority Succession because I *did* manage to keep the King of England title, but the Succession fucked my carefully arranged and plotted out for highest attribute and skill dynasty...

I both fucking hate and fucking love this game sometimes.

So, I've been looking at it, and has anyone else gotten the Old Gods DLC, or the Celtic packs yet?  I know I'll get the Celtic packs as I want to start in 1000 with an Irish Earl and try to work to Emperor of Brittiana (unlikely, but its worth a shot).  And yeah, I know it'll take money and a couple real good Chancellors to get claims, but I wanna try it,

But I really want to try a Norse Raider or the Golden Horde.  Or seeing if I can start unlanded and do something awesome.