DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 23.

The Natural

Watching Tanahashi vs Ishii reminds me of Kojima vs Yasuda from the 1998 Climax. Neither Ishii or Lurch are/were particularly good, but they're really sky-high over as the cult mid-card guys getting a chance to shine on the company's biggest stage and punching way above their weight in the process. Fun stuff.

Ishii/Shibata is like Choshu/Maeda in the year 2013 and it's glorious. Completely different style of match from the Tanahashi beauty a couple of days ago and almost as good. I adore both of these guys. Ishii spitting all over the place while in the sleeper was a great touch. Haven't seen much of Ishii since his humble beginnings in Riki Pro and early New Japan days but he's been a fucking superstar during this tournament.

Okay...hitting the G1 must-see matches. Just watched Ishii/Shibata. I think it's my MOTY, but I assume that'll change a few more times before the tournament is over.

And yeah, this board has really helped me get more into puro. I checked out after Kobashi's epic NOAH run because it seemed like all the puro companies were in the doldrums. Did not expect New Japan to have this epic renaissance.

It's amazing what finding an owner who knows how to run a modern company and also gives a damn about it can do with New Japan.

• Like 1

I reviewed Day 4 of the G1 Climax 2013 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/njpw-g1-climax-2013-day-4-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: Well what can you say. This was a great show and literally everything was good here. NJPW booked this really well as they put the stuff that wouldn't be so good out first while saving the good stuff for top half. However, the stuff that wasn't supposed to be that good was and therefore made for a great card. Everyone really performed well and the Shibata/Ishii match is a MOTYC and might be my runner up for MOTY. Definitely see this show as it's one of NJPW's best.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm having G1 withdrawals. Yesterday's show was so good.

Tomorrow's (today's?) card doesn't look great on paper, but that hasn't meant much up to this point. I'm very excited for Shibata vs. Goto in Sumo Hall in the penultimate show. Ishii's got a run of Kojima, Davey Boy, Okada, Makabe (YES, FUCK YES - violence!), and Goto. Those could all be great.

I'm having G1 withdrawals. Yesterday's show was so good.

Yeah I totally feel you. It's tough trying to sit through a 3 hour Raw after that amazing show. I'm watching Kofi vs Fandango and thinking how much happier I would be with a Ishii run in.

Ishii had a fantastic match with Kojima earlier this year, so their G1 match should be great. I reviewed Kojima/Ishii here: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/njpw-new-japan-cup-2013-3112013.html

So far, what's your pick for match of the G1 Climax 23? For me, it's between Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi. Looks like I'm in the minority who preferred the latter match to Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata on my first watch of both. What other matches do I need to watch? Thanks.

Nakamura vs. Ibushi was ok, but it went a little overboard, especially with Ibushi kicking out at 1 in the final stretch. I know the crowd loves him, but he really doesn't do it for me.

Ishii/Shibata on the other hand, was so damn good. The finish was perfect, and it left me wanting more (in a good way).

Ibushi comes off as a super generic modern Japanese wrestler, right down to the shitty trunks, shinguard boots even though he doesn't do a tonne of kicks, and lame haircut. His athleticism is off the charts but that's the only thing that stands out to me. Nakamura's always been a disappoint in my eyes but watching a handful of his matches from this year, he's  progressed quite a bit from when I last regularly watched ('07-'08) when they were still were forcing him down everyone's collective throat. He's got some really weird mannerisms, but weird in a good way. Their match from day 4 was good, but nowhere near the level of either Ishii instaclassics. 

I'm also not getting the love for Naito. Comes off much like Ibushi though his match with Suzuki from day 4 improved my opinion of him, but that was like 90% Minoru's doing. What matches of his should I check out to get a better appreciation of him?

Natural, check out all of day 4 if you have time. Great top to bottom card with the only thing falling flat being Shelton/Nagata but even that was decent enough. Kojima/Tanahashi from day 1 was good as well.

Natural, check out all of day 4 if you have time. Great top to bottom card with the only thing falling flat being Shelton/Nagata but even that was decent enough. Kojima/Tanahashi from day 1 was good as well.

Thank you.

So far Ishii and Shibata are my MVP's for this year's G1. Worst performer is Tenzan, he really is past his prime and I wouldn't be sad if this was his last G1.

My Top 5 matches so far (I've only watched up until Day 4):

1. Tanahashi vs Ishii - Day 2

2. Shibata vs Ishii - Day 4

3. Nakamura vs Ibushi - Day 4

4. Tanahashi vs DBS Jr. - Day 3

5. Shibata vs DBS Jr. - Day 1

Honourable mentions: Tanahashi vs Kojima - Day 1, Naito v Ibushi - Day 2, Nakamura vs Suzuki - Day 2, Okada vs Makabe - Day 4.

Man, I need to re-watch Ishii/Shibata or something.   I am not close to the love everyone else seems to have for it.   It was a faux 90's AJPW big 4 match to me.  1 Count kick outs, no selling, then weird selling... 

Yea that is how I am feeling. I enjoyed Ibushi/Nakamura more than that. But like you said, maybe I need to go rewatch Ishii/Shibata. But I am a big fan of Ibushi so I might be biased

Also, (sorry if late), but John Pollack of LAW is doing a daily rundown of the G1 on the Fight Network. Anyone listening?

• Like 1

I preferred Ishii vs Tanahashi over Ishii vs Shibata. Don't get me wrong it's a brutal match and I love it but I'm down on the I hit you, you hit me stuff this match had. Once ok, this match was too much. After 2 trade offs I was hoping Shibata was going to just kick him in the face. The Shibata match was a great fight the Tanahashi match was great pro wrestling. That finish, ouch.

I'm left thinking where to go with Ishii post G1. I still can't see him with the IWGP title but he could have a solid run with Nakamuras belt.

The only thing I didn't care for was them traded chops and kicks for two minutes, that was too much. Still an awesome match, though.

Also interesting that Shibata has inherited that running corner dropkick and the GO 2 SLEEP from his BFF KENTA.

I'm hoping Shibata comes out with the NOAH team for that tag later this month. If that match leads to KENTA working some more NJPW guys I'd be pretty excited. Like maybe they could do KENTA/Shibata vs Okada/Nakamura on 9/29.

Y'all are sleeping on Yujiro's "ALL NIGHT LONG" towel.

Ibushi still does some really stupid stuff, and if he toned it down with the contrived spots, he'd be fine. Couple things in the Nak match showed he could hang with the heavyweights. Even threw a good lariat.

They need to call an audible with Ishii. Take advantage of how over he is. Already beat Tanahashi, meaning he has it set up to beat anyone on the roster. If Karl Anderson can make a G-1 Final, Ishii can.

I'm hoping Shibata comes out with the NOAH team for that tag later this month. If that match leads to KENTA working some more NJPW guys I'd be pretty excited. Like maybe they could do KENTA/Shibata vs Okada/Nakamura on 9/29.

That match would make my balls explode.