DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 23.

The Natural

Shame this section is still recovering from the server change thingy because this G1 has been awesome so far. Day two was unreal. I think back to those Inoue/Ishii matches that we all loved on here in 2008 and now seeing Ishii main event a G1 show and beat Tanahashi in the way he did is absolutely incredible.

Kojima has brought major working boots to this, Archer has been a pleasant surprise and all the usuals have been as great as usual. So many stories flowing through the tournament and so many diverse characters and working styles. I love it!

Ibushi being 3-0 so far is a pleasant surprise. I figured he would win maybe 2 matches but now he is a top of his block!

How long he stays in the hunt is another matter entirely though

James

Ibushi being 3-0 so far is a pleasant surprise. I figured he would win maybe 2 matches but now he is a top of his block!

How long he stays in the hunt is another matter entirely though

James

I think he's going to the final

Just catching up on this, and from the little I've seen from this year, Tanahashi/Ishii is the best match of 2013. Awesome Korakuen crowd, great use of the headbutt, and really smartly worked throughout (though perhaps one too many back'n'forth exchanges). Disgusting SSD.

Anybody else finally remake their account to talk about how baller Ishii's big win was?

I'm loving Shibata's flavour being added on the nightly, and really digging the majority of the work from the gaijin. On a negative note , consider this tournament the final statement as to why Shelton Benjamin wasn't and shouldn't have been anybody important in WWE.

I reviewed Day 3 of the G1 Climax here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/njpw-g1-climax-2013-day-3-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: The good and bad stuff here was about equal. Goto/Kojima, Smith/Tana, Naito/Nagata were all good but the Benjamin, Tenzan and Shibata matches were disappointing. I do recommend checking out the three I mentioned though as they were good and were worth the time. Stay away from the first two or three though.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nagata is so easy money for screen caps.

I've finished days 1, 3, and most of 2. Kojima/Tanahashi from day 1 was pretty decent and then Red Shoes fucks up that pin. Fucking hate the delayed third count that he and most refs do nowadays, but to go the extra step and completely blow it like that? Ole Anderson says, "that's a firing."

Posted Image

I haven't watched much puroresu the past four or five years, so this may sound silly, but... Are there many matches that don't go through the extended, predictable finishing stretch where both guys go through every one of their big moves at least once, usually twice? Why should fans bother popping until both guys have emptied their arsenal? Sorry for the rant, but watching that much stuff in the day, how formulaic most everything seemed just stuck out like a sore thumb. That said, it's still been a good three days of rasslin' for the most part after I came to accept that.

I enjoy Shibata matches because they usually avoid this and are short'n'brutal.

That's any wrestling if you watch too much of it and only look at the in-ring part. Especially if the styles are quite similar. That main event finishing stretch style has been common forever. Especially in a G1. It's a little different when the undercards mean nothing.

That's any wrestling if you watch too much of it and only look at the in-ring part. Especially if the styles are quite similar. That main event finishing stretch style has been common forever. Especially in a G1. It's a little different when the undercards mean nothing.

To an extent, but barring a few exceptions, many of these matches have felt like the same routine, the same story just with interchangeable participants. G1 wasn't like that years ago when I watched. You'd have the bigger guys taking out smaller guys without going through 10 finisher level moves, to tell a broader story of career progress for those young lions/midcard wrestlers. You'd have more unique matches with the individuals telling stories catered to their characters they'd built up over the years. It's like dudes are scared to lose if they don't get hit with two finishers.

I agree that, from what I've seen, it does seem a broader issue than just this tournament, but WWE isn't nearly as guilty outside of the majority of Cena big PPV matches.

I'll shut up now because this is probably a conversation better suited for one of the many generic threads 'round here. Having fun watching the tournament but a little disappointed with how the style has evolved, I guess. I haven't seriously followed Japanese wrestling since about the mid-part of the last decade, only watching in spurts and lately just the highly praised stuff.

Yeah there was a bit of a struggle to differentiate among the upper card even before Okada started blitzing through everyone, Devitt turned megastar and Shibata joined the party. The last twenty man G1 they held had a lot more fodder.

On a brighter note for someone like me who hasn't bought the shows the coverage from everyone has been fantastic, especially rzombie's unprecedented next-day giffage. Getting feedback from matches as they happen is helping cement the individual happenings in a way the usual post-tournament highlight listmania never could.

Speaking of Ishii: He and Shibata beat the shit out of each other today (day 4), and it was glorious. Their match was everything you want to see when you take two wrestlers known for beating the hell outta their opponents and put them in a match against each other.

Although I am concerned that possibly nobody has bothered to tell Shibata that pro-wrestling is a work.

When the fuck did Ishii get so over & when did he become Tenryuito?

He was in WAR before he was a Riki disciple, so probably from that, but I think he was a junior then.

On a brighter note for someone like me who hasn't bought the shows the coverage from everyone has been fantastic, especially rzombie's unprecedented next-day giffage. Getting feedback from matches as they happen is helping cement the individual happenings in a way the usual post-tournament highlight listmania never could.

This, this, and more this.  Seriously I've been an absentee wrestling fan for they last few years, but this board and especially rzombie's gif recaps have got me back into wresting pretty heavy these days.  I still can't bring myself to watch Raw every week, but NXT has become must watch TV and NJPW has been pretty fantastic recently as well.  Well I'm about to start Day 2, hopefully Day 3 will be uploaded in the next couple of days.