DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

Trevor Bauer has had his leave extended again - this time until at least April 22

I don't remember where I read it but apparently part of the reason it keeps getting extended is A) he refuses to co-operate with MLB investigators and B) the lawsuit he filed against the Athletic

• 2 weeks later...

Bauer is the first player to appeal his suspension via this process (normally MLB, MLBPA and the player negotiate a settlement in lieu of the player appealing)

That's a uh long time for something that didn't even lead to any criminal charges. I'm not condoning what he allegedly did at all but still seems like an over-reach based on past punishments they've given out for past domestic issues. Sam Dyson only got one year but was accused of far worse. Odúbel Herrera was actually charged but only got half a season. Curious to see what happens with the appeal. I was figuring he'd get 80 games or something.

• Like 1

was Bauer represented by anybody who graduated from an accredited law school because somebody poked a bull and got gored with that suspension

At the moment his suspension is 16 times as long as what Marcell Ozuna got and I think this is twice as long as every non-ban suspension in MLB history. It seems like the sort of thing that could complicate the scale when it comes time for a future suspension, which might not entirely be a bad thing in the scheme of things.

13 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Well, let's be honest, this is a soft-lifetime suspension.   Bauer's 31 already and having been out for the equivalent of 3 1/2 seasons is going to essentially  have him be blackballed by any team worth its salt.  

Based on previous comments from reporters - Bauer has refused to cooperate with MLB investigators so it is possible that is being factored into the length

Again that is just speculation at the moment 

soft-lifetime in Major League Baseball, but it would be a bit of a surprise if any team in Mexico had the money to get Bauer down there or if a KBO/NPB team wanted to rock the boat in those leagues by bringing in Bauer. Not just rock the boat for the ethical reasons, but because if Bauer rebounded after missing a year and a half, he'd probably be a top pitcher in Japan or Korea.

Not to the point of how Alexi Ogando dominated the Dominican Summer League because he was banned from entering the USA due to visa fraud, but if Bauer wants to pitch instead of being the Kaepernick for Chuds, his options are kinda limited.

Anyways the measuring stick for suspensions could be changing and Bauer kinda got a Show-Cause penalty suspension because he's a giant fucking idiot.

• Like 1

I left out the scenario where Bauer pitches in some independent league, none of which could probably afford him unless Bauer gets Elon Musk to found a baseball league.

It's been 30 years since Steve Howe (sorry if that makes some of you feel old) and I suspect enough has changed that they're not reinstating Bauer within 6 months

Its not in my personal scope of knowledge, the kind of stuff that he and his partners were into, but it definitely appears he is the type that had an understanding of what was consensual and then pushed it past that line enough to get his pleasure out of it but not quite enough (until last summer) for it to become a legal issue. I find all of it off but regardless of my personal views, consent is still consent, no matter where the line is.

I don't think we'll be seeing Bauer again. I don't see an American multi-gazillionaire with his ego going to Mexico or Japan to play, he'll be a nuisance with his constant bitching online but he won't be on a field.

Bauer having the Japanese translation of his name(?) because he was reaching out to Japanese fans as a Dodger is gonna inspire more NPB rumors that he merits. Japanese society isn’t exactly huge on the sort of individualism that Bauer brings and while I’m sure Bauer wants to throw 130 pitches regularly, he would be too much of a status quo disrupter (due to skill or his personality) if he’s successful for some team to want to do that in their league.

Bauer going to Japan due to this would be like if a top NBA player (someone not quite as good as Kobe post-Colorado) got a long suspension and went to Europe and instantly made their team a contender.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...