DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

I will put this here

Outside the Lines has released evidence showing that Pete Rose bet on baseball and the Reds while he was playing

Truly, I am shocked. . . :( (sarcasm). Personally I always thought he did bet as a player, just because he was a player-manager for a while. . . . 

So who is baseball going to spin this...players and mangers can't but it's ok for us to own 1/3 of a company that is gambling fronting as fantasy sports?

...pretty much, yeah. Fantasy sports is like a poker game where players are wagering money against each other and the house just takes a cut, whereas betting on the outcomes of games meant Pete had a financial stake (outside of his actual job) in who won or lost a specific game. The former has zero impact on the integrity of the game itself, the latter does not.

I just wanna hear from the chorus of Rose apologists who have been beating the "put him in as a player since he only bet as a manager" drum.

I haven't seen not heard the otl but when he bet on the Reds was it to win only? Or did he bet both ways? Cause he as a manager would have had more possible ways to make the team lose then when he was a player.

It doesn't matter. Betting to lose, or not betting at all, are also really terrible.

He only bet on them to win as both a player and a manager, which brings up all kinds of possibilities of whether or not he played/managed differently if he had money on the game.

This.

By not betting, he tacitly bet against them. Would he save a reliever for a game when he was going to bet so they would be fresh? Etc

So, we need to plant a big corn field next to the HOF building and find some people to wander around it hearing voices? A fool-proof plan.

The point is the rule's been in place for-fucking-ever seeing as how the most famous offense was committed NINETY-SIX YEARS AGO.

Pete Rose can wait exactly as long as Shoeless Joe has, and if that means never, then so fucking be it.

• Like 2

The point is the rule's been in place for-fucking-ever seeing as how the most famous offense was committed NINETY-SIX YEARS AGO.

Pete Rose can wait exactly as long as Shoeless Joe has, and if that means never, then so fucking be it.

THIS, especially since Joe didn't lie about it for twenty something years, then admit part of it, then lie again. . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am putting this here just because the HOF tends to be stupid

Bill Shaikin ✔@BillShaikin

Hall of Fame decides BBWAA members more than 10 years removed from actively covering the game can no longer vote for Hall of Fame.