DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

On 7/2/2018 at 5:19 PM, grilledcheese said:

You are skipping the real question that needs to be asked, what color was he? Last time I saw him, he was a very weird shade of pink.

The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh, by the way, which one's Pink? 

• Haha 2

Something someone pointed out a while ago made me think twice about the idea of PED users being pariahs: in the 60's/70's/80's all those guys were being fuelled by pills to the point that bowls of greenies in the clubhouse became a longtime gag. Can't it be argued that they were a performance enhancer as well because they were basically drugs that allowed players to play at a high level and get through a long season? I don't know if I fully agree with it but it really made me think and at least challenged my assumptions on the issue.

• Like 4

I have long thought that the rampant amphetamine use in baseball should be taken into account when talking about PEDs, but writers back then were so allegiant to the team that they would turn a blind eye to anything they saw so as not to besmirch the good name of the franchise and also fuck up the gravy train they had going with covering the club.

A lot of these dudes that crucify guys on the gas have no issue with Mantle ripping through a handful of greenies to pick him up off the floor after a late night of boozing. If you take issue with one, you should probably be pissed about the other.

Cooperstown is a place full of guys that don't belong for one reason or another, a number of them just for being friends with Frankie Frisch. Who gives a shit if some drug users are in there? I respect the hell out of the HOF as a museum, but who gets enshrined there hasn't mattered to me for a real long time.

• Like 2

I’m in the minority on this, so, hate me for it: I have no issue with the amphetamine epidemic of yesteryear. 

I know it’s, I guess, up there with Tim Raines always keeping a glass vial in his back pocket (which is why he never slid feet first), so he could do bumps in the outfield. Same with Dave Parker and Keith Hernandez and the others, ducking off to the toilet. It is a stimulant, yeah. But I think it’s basically the same as drinking a metric fuck-ton of coffee. 

Again, feel free to disagree. 

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Can't it be argued that they were a performance enhancer as well because they were basically drugs that allowed players to play at a high level and get through a long season? I don't know if I fully agree with it but it really made me think and at least challenged my assumptions on the issue.

I actually do subscribe to this viewpoint. I completely believe that the main reason baseball players back then were doing coke and other amphetamines was to keep them getting out of bed, and keep going through the long-ass baseball season. I don't know whether it's "better" or "worse" than more recent PED use; but I completely think that they were using illegal drugs to gain a competitive edge.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Personally, I'm in the "take whatever" camp, since a lot of lines about what is/is not "okay" are arbitrary and often moralistic. Why is lasix okay but not blood spinning? Etc... 

Exactly.  I know a lot of national class runners and cyclists (and a few world-class).   I know guys who take every legal supplement known to man, sleep in oxygen tents to simulate the effects of living at high altitude, practically mainline caffeine before races because they think it might give them an advantage, try over-the-counter medicines for ailments they don't have because they think it might give them an advantage, etc.  Used to be in contact with a national-class swimmer who took over 100 pills a day - over 30 different meds and supplements, all completely legal.  It's a fairly arbitrary line to decide that all the stuff he/she was on is in the spirit of competition, but a PED is not.

No matter where you draw the line, someone's going to take a lot of meds and do some wacky stuff that will take them right up to the line without going over.  And the reasons people do this stuff aren't always cut-and-dried.  Even if it was, taking PEDs to run or cycle faster, or build muscle to hit a baseball farther is pretty low on the list of crimes against humanity.  I've known people who took something illegal or otherwise artificially enhanced performance and they weren't bad people.  

If Lance Armstrong is a bad person, it's more likely because he's kind of an arrogant jerk more than what he did to compete in bike races.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 8:02 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

This can be read: "Wait, people can find old tweets?"

And now he's just stupid. Fuck him.

• Like 3

They had the greatest team in baseball (the Braves), now they have the former Seattle Pilots, karma is a bitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Add Hawk Harrelson to the list of people who think athletes should "shut up and play".    

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/hawk-harrelson-wishes-lebron-keep-nose-out-of-politics.html

This is especially rich because the remarks are coming from Hawk fucking Harrelson. 

In case anyone was wondering what Mo Vaughn is up to these days, he's selling ridiculously overpriced clothing for fat guys like me.:

https://www.kingsizedirect.com/k/brands/mvp-collections/?affiliate_location_id=17&affiliate_id=009&mid=5555622028905&sssdmh=K181403100002&cid=K181403

This is by far the best e-mail I got today.  First 100 customers get a free autographed MVP hat with their order.  Don't delay, order today!

On 9/17/2018 at 12:37 PM, gatling said:

In case anyone was wondering what Mo Vaughn is up to these days, he's selling ridiculously overpriced clothing for fat guys like me.:

https://www.kingsizedirect.com/k/brands/mvp-collections/?affiliate_location_id=17&affiliate_id=009&mid=5555622028905&sssdmh=K181403100002&cid=K181403

This is by far the best e-mail I got today.  First 100 customers get a free autographed MVP hat with their order.  Don't delay, order today!

I just got a catalog from JCPenney with Shaquille O'Neal (looking slimmed down a bit!) selling suits on the cover.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 2:19 PM, RIPPA said:

Cubs have placed Addison Russell on administrative leave after Russell’s ex-wife came out with a detailed report of what a piece of shit he is

And as a follow up on this, MLB has officially suspended Russell 40 games.   Retroactive to 9/21, when the Cubs put him on leave.    

This will carry over to next year, meaning he'll miss the first month or so of the season.