DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

Anthony Rizzo came out and said what a lot of people have said, which is that this isn't just limited to the Astros and his feeling is that a lot of teams are doing this shit. He's probably not wrong and sadly, the punishment handed down to the Astros isn't going to be enough to deter teams from continuing to cheat.

Jeff Passan:

"This is the greatest thing I've ever seen," one general manager said midafternoon, when -- and this is a real thing -- he called to ask whether the fired New York Mets manager actually had a niece who was tweeting about the 2019 Houston Astros wearing buzzers under their uniforms that let them know which pitch was coming. "I want to take this day and freeze it in time so I can keep living it."

Someone might like drama even more than I do.

• Haha 6

59 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Jeff Passan:

Someone might like drama even more than I do.

I've heard tell that David Cone used to wear a buzzer under his uniform for reasons... 

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:17 AM, RIPPA said:

And Carlos Beltran has stepped down as Mets manager

Hilarious, but only because I told the wife at around 9AM that Beltran would resign amid much handbag waving and posturing about preserving the dignity of the game,  yadda-yadda-yadda...  Not that I think he's doing this to try and protect his HOF chances over managing a shitty team that in true Donnie Baseball fashion is the best gig he can get now or ever, no I'm not thinking that, no, not at all... Funny thing is that I always liked Beltran despite the team he chose to play with, and I would have probably done the exact same things.

I am torn

I definitely think we are so far into "all of this is silly territory" but I also fully support ruining Tony La Russa

Here is Jack McDowell saying La Russa had a camera aided sign stealing system in Chicago

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503160/jack-mcdowell-says-tony-la-russa-had-sign-stealing-system-white-sox-80s

Former Cy Young Award winner Jack McDowell on Friday accused Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa of having a camera-aided sign-stealing system installed when he was with the Chicago White Sox in the late 1980s.

McDowell, who made his major league debut for the White Sox in 1987 and pitched for 12 seasons in the majors, never played for La Russa, who was fired by the White Sox during the previous season. However, in an appearance on The Mac Attack on WFNZ in Charlotte, McDowell described a system that he said was put in place by La Russa.

"We had a system in the old Comiskey Park in the late 1980s," McDowell, who coaches at Queens University, told the radio station Friday. "The Gatorade sign out in center had a light; there was a toggle switch in the manager's office and [a] camera zoomed in on the catcher.

"I'm gonna whistle blow this now because I'm getting tired of this crap. There was that -- Tony La Russa is the one who put it in. ... He's still in the game making half a million, you know? No one is going to go after that. It's just, this stuff is getting old where they target certain guys and let other people off the hook."

-------------

McDowell alleged in the radio interview that the next day's starting pitcher would sit in the manager's office, watch the catcher's signals and would alert White Sox batters with the light in the Gatorade sign.

"I've never said anything about the old system we had because once we got to new Comiskey [in 1991], I didn't know if there was one or not," said McDowell, who won the Cy Young Award in 1993. "There were rumors that we had one, but it wasn't as out there as the first one was where they forced the pitcher who was pitching the next day had to go in there and flip on the toggle switch and stuff."

• Like 2

"I'm gonna whistle blow this now because I'm getting tired of this crap. There was that -- Tony La Russa is the one who put it in. ... He's still in the game making half a million, you know? No one is going to go after that. It's just, this stuff is getting old where certain guys who are worried about getting into the HOF start waving their handbags and throwing other guys under the bus. Quite frankly, I have no business anywhere near the HOF without buying a ticket, and Carlos Beltran is like the perfect doorman, but we're both going to wax all sanctimonious  and shit because it will make people feel sorry for us and it worked for Phil Rizzuto!" stated McDowell, the former Cy Young winner, who is the very poster boy for the Hall of the Very Good. He has everything going for him, catchy nickname, solid post-season appearances, all the intangibles, in fact everything that matters except for you know, actual statistics that prove his claim...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

• Like 1

Seriously though, you've got three plum managerial jobs that just opened up (Mets, Sox, Astros) literally within like 48 hours of each other. If Meulens doesn't get ANY of them, he should just retire because it's never gonna happen.

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Is it getting bad enough for anyone else that they are considering taking a break from baseball for a while? Just thinking about this stuff has been annoying me.

This stuff? Wouldn't bother me at all. Another year of 90% strikeouts and solo dingers is more than I can take though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Just when you thought the world was full of chaos and things are changing left and right, one thing we can always count on - Aubrey Huff is a moron:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/01/17/aubrey-huff-criticizes-giants-hire-alyssa-nakken-first-woman-coach/4498281002/

Isn't he a little young to be a boomer? 

20 hours ago, Pete said:

Seriously though, you've got three plum managerial jobs that just opened up (Mets, Sox, Astros) literally within like 48 hours of each other. If Meulens doesn't get ANY of them, he should just retire because it's never gonna happen.

Considering that hiring a person who has never managed before less than a month before Spring Training starts is probably in no one's best interest - he isn't getting considered

Plus - if all three were to hire an unproven manager - they all have in house choices that they would go with first

There is a reason the most common names mentioned right now are Dusty Baker, Buck Showalter and John Gibbons

22 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Is it getting bad enough for anyone else that they are considering taking a break from baseball for a while? Just thinking about this stuff has been annoying me.

I'm very strongly considering taking a break from Major League baseball, but I'd just fill in that hole with high school baseball and the summer wood bat league that has a a handful of teams near-ish to me, or Modesto or Stockton or Visalia in the California League. You can't get much better than low level baseball when it comes to fun factor and watching young guys really get started on a professional career.

MLB (the league itself) has shown me time and time again that they have no interest in cleaning up the game in any meaningful way, be it about steroids or international signing or DV issues or cameras in CF to feed batters the pitch. All of these things make me think baseball sucks, and that is a hard thing to swallow for me, because of the really special feelings I have for the game. So I'll ditch the Bigs for a while and supplement my need for baseball with the lowest levels of the game. I have a little league team to coach coming up at the start of March, so I'll use that to keep my eyes on baseball.

Fuck the Bigs for right now.

26 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I'm very strongly considering taking a break from Major League baseball, but I'd just fill in that hole with high school baseball and the summer wood bat league that has a a handful of teams near-ish to me, or Modesto or Stockton or Visalia in the California League. You can't get much better than low level baseball when it comes to fun factor and watching young guys really get started on a professional career.

MLB (the league itself) has shown me time and time again that they have no interest in cleaning up the game in any meaningful way, be it about steroids or international signing or DV issues or cameras in CF to feed batters the pitch. All of these things make me think baseball sucks, and that is a hard thing to swallow for me, because of the really special feelings I have for the game. So I'll ditch the Bigs for a while and supplement my need for baseball with the lowest levels of the game. I have a little league team to coach coming up at the start of March, so I'll use that to keep my eyes on baseball.

Fuck the Bigs for right now.

I say go watch a bunch of Ports games and give me some scouting reports on A's prospects. ?

• Like 1

They should strip the titles, put all the rosters back together the way they were in those years and replay the series against the losing ALCS teams, including any retired players. It could work!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 2:47 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

LOL someone very clearly went to Mendoza's office and said, "Clean. This. Up.  OR you're next, stupid."

And to follow up on this...  Jessica Mendoza was just fired, er, resigned as special assistant to the Mets. 

She's also gone from the Sunday Night Baseball ESPN team -- but will remain doing other things in "an expanded role." (lol)

On 1/22/2020 at 12:35 PM, Ryan said:

They should strip the titles, put all the rosters back together the way they were in those years and replay the series against the losing ALCS teams, including any retired players. It could work!

Or this:

https://sports.theonion.com/seattle-mariners-offhandedly-suggest-astros-red-sox-1841281318