DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/26/2019 at 7:42 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

MLB respectfully disagrees. 

Baer has been suspended without pay until July. 

The fact that they suspended him doesn't refute what I said.  

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That's not what you said. You said that anybody that thinks he was grabbing his phone is a MRA. I don't want to speak for Tabe but he said the guy was in the wrong to wrestle his phone away from her but it's pretty clear he didn't grab her shoulder and didn't hit her. I feel the reactions were OTT and at the same time think he was clearly in the wrong. I understand the thousands of years history of men physically abusing women with carte blanche and the need to stamp that shit out. However, overreactions like with this case are not the answer and I feel undermine that cause by giving the people you bring up ammunition they don't need. 

Exactly.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Yankees have stopped playing Kate Smith's 1939 version of "God Bless America" during the 7th Inning stretch because they found some heretofore unknown songs she made back in the 30's, that were - even by the standards back then - horrifically racist.  

https://deadspin.com/yankees-stop-playing-kate-smiths-god-bless-america-re-1834148314

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Yankees have stopped playing Kate Smith's 1939 version of "God Bless America" during the 7th Inning stretch because they found some heretofore unknown songs she made back in the 30's, that were - even by the standards back then - horrifically racist.  

https://deadspin.com/yankees-stop-playing-kate-smiths-god-bless-america-re-1834148314

I presume that means they will just switch the version they play.

#atheistslovebaseballtoo

BTW, this got as high as #12 in the billboard charts in 1931.

The song was also recorded by Paul Robeson the same year. 

Edited by odessasteps

Without offering an opinion on the Anderson situation, I'll just say that I'm surprised Stroman is pushing this "you can't suspend someone for language" horseshit. Is the implication that he thought it was fine when Pillar was throwing around homophobic slurs a couple years ago? Or did he forget? Probably the former. "Normal slang trash talk" is a likely pretty wide net.

Also, Marcus Stroman not believing in "beef" is a lark. What's next? The sky is green?

Of course I've been done with Stroman since he cropped his dog's ears, so I'm a little biased and have an ax to grind. 

On 4/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, odessasteps said:

I presume that means they will just switch the version they play.

#atheistslovebaseballtoo

BTW, this got as high as #12 in the billboard charts in 1931.

The song was also recorded by Paul Robeson the same year. 

The movie Idiocracy was based around the idea that society would become too stupid to survive in 500 years. This ridiculous "controversy" and the cowardly response by both the Yankees and Flyers shows they got the timeline wrong by about 486 years.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's the 40th Anniversary of the Disco Demolition night this year and the White Sox have plans to commemorate it on Thursday.

This is your reminder that the "Disco Sucks" movement was *VERY* based in racism, misogyny, and/or homophobia.   

The White Sox should reconsider this.   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kuetsar said:

They are seriously going to revisit one of the biggest riots ever? (That's what the laugh is for, not the other part of the post).  Did the Indians acknowledge ten cent beer night?

And if you want more info on either or you just want a good laugh, go an listen to the Dollop episodes about Disco Demolition Night and Ten Cent Beer night. Ten Cent Beer night in particular is hilarious.

While you're at it, you may as well also listen to the episode about the Rube.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And if you want more info on either or you just want a good laugh, go an listen to the Dollop episodes about Disco Demolition Night and Ten Cent Beer night. Ten Cent Beer night in particular is hilarious.

While you're at it, you may as well also listen to the episode about the Rube.

There's also an episode about Glenn Burke that will make you want to shoot yourself. And an episode about Lenny Dykstra that will make you want to shoot Lenny Dykstra. 

• Haha 1

LOL I forgot about the Lenny Dykstra episode. Their episodes about baseball are better than damn near everything else that isn't the tickle fighting episode, the toxic woman episode, or the two indigenous actors episode.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's the 40th Anniversary of the Disco Demolition night this year and the White Sox have plans to commemorate it on Thursday.

This is your reminder that the "Disco Sucks" movement was *VERY* based in racism, misogyny, and/or homophobia.   

I would celebrate simply because I do think disco sucks.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 6:51 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

That was undoubtedly a factor. I think most people, however, were just sick of the Bee Gees. 

• Like 2

I think that my cred as not being racist, misogynistic, or a homophobe is pretty well-established, that said, I find disco to be a pretty vile assault on the eardrums; sort of like one of Victator's posts set to music eeeef you weeeel...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

NYM is the dumbest of the goddamn dumb. What a colossal fuck up that doesn't really do any damage to anyone. But it's A+ funny, and exceptionally stupid:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/01/mets-botch-apology-to-1969-players-they-thought-were-dead/

They already thought the guy was dead, and then they misspell his name in the apology!! I love it!

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, OSJ said:

I think that my cred as not being racist, misogynistic, or a homophobe is pretty well-established, that said, I find disco to be a pretty vile assault on the eardrums; sort of like one of Victator's posts set to music eeeef you weeeel...

That's what Steve Dahl, the architect of Disco Demolition Night claims. 

On 7/1/2019 at 1:43 AM, grilledcheese said:

NYM is the dumbest of the goddamn dumb. What a colossal fuck up that doesn't really do any damage to anyone. But it's A+ funny, and exceptionally stupid:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/01/mets-botch-apology-to-1969-players-they-thought-were-dead/

They already thought the guy was dead, and then they misspell his name in the apology!! I love it!

so business as usual for the Mets

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

so business as usual for the Mets

Well on a more positive note they seem to at least be aware that Cleon Jones, Ron Swoboda, and Ed Kranepool are alive.

• Haha 1

I'm not posting it, but if you follow Baseball Crank on Twitter, you really will need to wash off after you read his thoughts on Tyler Skaggs death. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm not posting it, but if you follow Baseball Crank on Twitter, you really will need to wash off after you read his thoughts on Tyler Skaggs death. 

We need to gas up the Beatdown Bus, what a complete tool this McLaughlin guy is. I should have known what to expect when he brags about being a "Reaganite" in 2019; who the fuck does that?

6 minutes ago, OSJ said:

We need to gas up the Beatdown Bus, what a complete tool this McLaughlin guy is. I should have known what to expect when he brags about being a "Reaganite" in 2019; who the fuck does that?

I try to be as tolerant as I can of other people's religious beliefs. That said, I'm pretty sure Supply-Side Jesus is a false prophet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1