DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

40 games for fucking up your spouse, 80 games for a 1st time PED pop. What the fuck is wrong with the backwards fucking punishments in this league?

Beating up your spouse (while heinous) does not affect the outcome of games, a guy taking PED's does.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Beating up your spouse (while heinous) does not affect the outcome of games, a guy taking PED's does.

So does stealing signs, and no one is getting suspended for that. That's a horseshit take on why the disparity exists.

14 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

So does stealing signs, and no one is getting suspended for that. That's a horseshit take on why the disparity exists.

So you are saying guys shouldn't be punished for taking PED's? Stealing signs is part of the game, a better example would be scuffing a ball or corking a bat (both of which will get you a lengthy suspension).

Edit: and I don't care about about baseball punishing a guy who beats the hell out of his wife, I want the US legal system to punish him by throwing him behind bars for a long time.

14 minutes ago, elizium said:

I don't think guys should be punished for PEDs.

The past 40 years of pro wrestling suggest that would be a very bad idea. Just like in wrestling if they are allowed they essentially become mandatory to compete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

So you are saying guys shouldn't be punished for taking PED's? Stealing signs is part of the game, a better example would be scuffing a ball or corking a bat (both of which will get you a lengthy suspension).

Edit: and I don't care about about baseball punishing a guy who beats the hell out of his wife, I want the US legal system to punish him by throwing him behind bars for a long time.

No, that isn't what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that I believe that a person that beats on their spouse should be punished to a greater extent than a 40 game pop. I don't give a fuck about a guy trying to get a chemical advantage in comparison to someone who mentally and physically abuses someone. And the law isn't going to get involved, since she said that she wouldn't cooperate with a police investigation. So while that would be ideal, it won't be happening here. 

And I'm not quite sure what you consider lengthy, but Sosa got 8 games for corking, as did Wilton Guerrero. Jay Howell got popped in the 88 NLCS with pine tar in his glove and got 2 days (originally 3). Pineda got 10 games a few years back, but didn't appeal and for sure it would have come down had he done so. 

I don't really think that it's crazy for me to think that a professional organization like MLB would have a stricter punishment for these types of things. Weirdly, Osuna just got 75, and Jose Torres got 100 at the beginning of this year for violations of the DV policy. So the precedent was there, they just misfired on the punishment length, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Osuna getting the privilege of pitching in the post-season with a 75 game domestic violence suspension under his belt which he didn’t feel emboldened to appeal is horseshit. 

As for wanting the legal system to do its job, sure. But in Osuna’s case, the system failed in a situation where something clearly happened. Does the legal system being a joke mean we’re obliged to let this guy continue to enjoy the privilege of being a hot shit sports star? 

The legal system being a joke is why people feel the need to socially enforce some standards of conduct. Leaning on MLB and similarily popular entertainment outlets to be a part of that social enforcement is part of that process. So I understand why someone would care about MLB punishing these dudes. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hey, that's a cool explanation. I wonder if Samson's joke will be funny when:  

The City of Miami-Dade has to lay off police officers, librarians, social workers, and firefighters.

Or when a kid who could grow up to be a jazz prodigy never gets a chance because his school has to cut music education. 

Or when a kid gets bit or mauled by an animal because Animal Control couldn't get funding.   

Or when an expectant mom gets into a car accident because the road to the doctor's office didn't get repaired. 

Or when a study to determine just how FUCKED the city of Miami-Dade is, as global warming keeps coming for it like fucking Jason Voorhees, has to be abandoned.   

Jeffery Loria and David Sampson LITERALLY stole billions of dollars from the city of Miami and he is bragging about it in an attempt at humor.  Because, you know, it's 2018 and nothing matters. 

But it's fine. 

I don't get the show. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hey, that's a cool explanation. I wonder if Samson's joke will be funny when:  

The City of Miami-Dade has to lay off police officers, librarians, social workers, and firefighters.

Or when a kid who could grow up to be a jazz prodigy never gets a chance because his school has to cut music education. 

Or when a kid gets bit or mauled by an animal because Animal Control couldn't get funding.   

Or when an expectant mom gets into a car accident because the road to the doctor's office didn't get repaired. 

Or when a study to determine just how FUCKED the city of Miami-Dade is, as global warming keeps coming for it like fucking Jason Voorhees, has to be abandoned.   

Jeffery Loria and David Sampson LITERALLY stole billions of dollars from the city of Miami and he is bragging about it in an attempt at humor.  Because, you know, it's 2018 and nothing matters. 

But it's fine. 

I don't get the show. 

Samson is absolutely a grade-A a-hole.  But this also confirms what I've always thought about LeBatard - he's a piece of trash as well.

I get the David Sampson hate, honestly I do, but there are people who are supposed to protect the taxpayers and David Sampson isn't one of them.  David Sampsons job was to get the most money he possibly could for his stadium and the sale of the team and he did that.  The people who were voted in to be in charge are the ones who sold Miami down the river.  Sampson asked for something astronomical, it isn't his fault the city of Miami said yes to his offer.  With that said, he's about as unlikeable of a human being as possible.  Did anyone listen to the LeBatard show when they actually discussed this?  It is pretty clear that the only reason they have him on is because he's an asshole.  The producer has actually banned him multiple times because no one like dealing with him, but he produces good radio because he's one of the few people in sports who doesn't give a fuck about how people view him.  There is a reason to hate David Sampson, but he's pretty far down the list of irresponsible people when it comes to that stadium deal.  At any time the people in charge could have said no, but they approved the project...which is not his fault.  They didn't have to give him what he asked for.  

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I get the David Sampson hate, honestly I do, but there are people who are supposed to protect the taxpayers and David Sampson isn't one of them.  David Sampsons job was to get the most money he possibly could for his stadium and the sale of the team and he did that.  The people who were voted in to be in charge are the ones who sold Miami down the river.  Sampson asked for something astronomical, it isn't his fault the city of Miami said yes to his offer.  With that said, he's about as unlikeable of a human being as possible.  Did anyone listen to the LeBatard show when they actually discussed this?  It is pretty clear that the only reason they have him on is because he's an asshole.  The producer has actually banned him multiple times because no one like dealing with him, but he produces good radio because he's one of the few people in sports who doesn't give a fuck about how people view him.  There is a reason to hate David Sampson, but he's pretty far down the list of irresponsible people when it comes to that stadium deal.  At any time the people in charge could have said no, but they approved the project...which is not his fault.  They didn't have to give him what he asked for.  

Without a doubt, there's a whole lot of politicians and officials that were more than happy to rip off their own city.