DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

It was a shitty apology of the "I didn't mean to offend so I'm sorry to anybody who was offended" variety. 

Yeah that's some bullshit. I had so many people do that same gesture to me, and call me a chink(why racists just call all Asians Chinks, I'm forever unsure. Chinese didn't bomb Pearl Harbor), BUT I've never met one person that didn't do it with the intention to offend. There's no other reason to do it unless you've got something in both your eyes. 

Yu Darvish is a class act with that response.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

5 game suspension that will be served at the start of the 2018 season

What a bullshit decision. Gurriel should have been suspended for the remainder of the playoffs. That would have been the best way to send a message that MLB won't tolerate racism.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:48 PM, jaedmc said:

Yeah that's some bullshit. I had so many people do that same gesture to me, and call me a chink(why racists just call all Asians Chinks, I'm forever unsure. Chinese didn't bomb Pearl Harbor), BUT I've never met one person that didn't do it with the intention to offend. There's no other reason to do it unless you've got something in both your eyes. 

Yu Darvish is a class act with that response.

Gurriel flat out said that he knows the gesture and the slur - don't forget the slur - are considered offensive. So when he says he didn't mean to offend, he's lying. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Man, Aubrey Huff is fucking DUMB

Me, looking at Huff's Twitter: "What, the gun thing? That seemed more like a lament about violence rather than...*scrolls down*. Oh, that. *scrolls more* Oof. *scroll* Wait how did we get from the Large Hadron Collider to dragons?

• Like 2

As a former Seattle resident, believe me, I've heard all sorts of ridiculous shit come out of Boone's mouth, (including his belief that he should be in Cooperstown). To my knowledge they don't yet have a wing for roided-up dwarfs who could hardly play their position. If it wasn't for his last name and the roids he would likely have spent his career in places like Tacoma and Salt Lake City.  I didn't like him when I interviewed him when he was on the Mariners and I like him even less now. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on, roided-up little jerk.

Again, why do we care what dumbass athletes say more than anybody else? Stop putting people like that on a pedestal. They are not role models. It's like people being taken aback by Madusa, a professional wrestler/monster truck driver, making ignorant ass comments. I don't get it.

• Thanks 1

That you shouldn't be shocked when athletes say dumb shit. I understand why people get upset but I do feel like we are in the territory of people looking to get outraged. The way I see it, the majority of athletes (at least in North America) are conservative because they believe their hard work and determination are the major reasons for their success and if others only had the same drive that they wouldn't be poor. It doesn't take into account the incredible amount of varieties of luck needed to make it as a pro athlete. This often times bleeds over into social aspects too. And clubhouses and the like are just awful places in terms of social aspects of humanity. There are horror stories of junior hockey dressing rooms and hazing initiatives/rituals in Canada.

Why do we care what Bret Boone or any other pro athlete has to say because he or she can hit a ball really hard or hit somebody upside the head real good? 

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That you shouldn't be shocked when athletes say dumb shit.

Is shock and outrage the emotional state you believe most people in these threads are posting in or is it HAY GUYS LOOK AT THE STUPID SHIT SCHILLING SAID NOW?

I mean I guess you can argue there's an element of schadenfreude in watching people who are put up on those pedestals fall, but really, it isn't a "fall", most of the time. Bret Boone's life will presumably not be significantly altered by him again having been exposed as a dumbfuck.