DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

On 5/7/2017 at 1:00 AM, Ryan said:

I'm re-nicknaming Carlton as Righty because I can. It'll be ironic in a baseball sense, but also not ironic in reality.

Edit: Digging up his 1994 interview. Holy shit is he a pre-cursor of a lot of weirdos now. Every conspiracy theory in the book. Anti-semitic. Doomsday Prepper. Etc.

Yeah, absolutely loved the guy when he wouldn't talk to the media. Once he spoke, I wished to God that he would shut the fuck up. A more unpleasant fellow is hard to imagine.  That an obviously well-read and intelligent person has views like that is far more frightening than a ditto-head like Schilling spouting the current right-wing bs. I guess the moral is be careful about who your baseball heroes are, I've had rather bad luck over the years. Below are guys that I revered since childhood and what I later discovered...

Deadball era: Rogers Hornsby - Such an unpleasant bastard he was shit-canned as a manager after leading a team to the WS. Just a venomous prick. I heard that he mellowed somewhat in his later years, but the stories about him in his prime make him a veritable legend in the annals of nastiness.

Early Childhood: Bazooka Joe Adock & Eddie Mathews: The former, as fine a Southern gentleman as has ever lived, graciously wrote back when I sent him a fan letter in the 1980s advising that he'd be happy to sign anything I sent him. I sent him a stack of cards and he signed all but one, a card from the late unlamented "Ted Williams Card Co." which was actually run by Williams' son. He paper clipped a note saying: "I'm sorry, but I don't sign this one or acknowledge it as the rascal never paid me." Hope the enclosed will be a satisfactory substitute." Guy sent a signed color 8 x 10 that would have run me $30 at any cardshow. Eddie Mathews: Drunken buffoon who spent most of his signing time trying to look up womens' skirts and generally acting like an old fool.

1970s-1980s: Steve Carlton and Eddie Murray. The former has been covered and it appears that Steady Eddie is a white-collar criminal. Oh, well...

1990-2000s: Barry Bonds and Matt Williams. I'm not going to defend Bonds except to say that for his supposed virulent hatred of white folks he was very pleasant and courteous to me. Kind of aloof, but nobody ever said that you have to be Mr. Congeniality to be the best fucking player that the game has ever seen. And before any GRiffey fans run in, I'm a Seattle boy and probably saw as much of Griffey as anyone. Fantastic player and Barry Bonds was better in every single way except fielding. Matt Williams, seems a good guy, just a fairly ineffective manager. 

I'm all about Silver King. Oddly, he never writes back. His ghost does haunt me though as does the lucha versions deceptively stocky physique.

• Like 1

Rogers Hornsby did mellow later in life, but he was still very much disliked.  When Bill Veeck fired him as St. Louis Browns manager in 1952, the Browns players gave Veeck a trophy to thank him.

1 minute ago, Hoffman said:

Rogers Hornsby did mellow later in life, but he was still very much disliked.  When Bill Veeck fired him as St. Louis Browns manager in 1952, the Browns players gave Veeck a trophy to thank him.

It's that extra "S" man.  There's a parallel universe out there where a guy named Bruces Hornsby is an agro skinhead hardcore douchebag.

And another where a guy names Carl Jr. pays his employees a living wage.

• Like 4

Just now, Kuetsar said:

Hornsby was the guy people think Ty Cobb was. . .

Now I want to see "Ultimate Make Me Laugh" where the Unknown comic has three minutes to make Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, or Tommy Lee Jones corpse for a million dollars.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Hornsby was the guy people think Ty Cobb was. . .

Balderdash! Mr. Hornsby was right-handed, did not own significant stock in Coca-Cola, and didn't drink. Yeah, at least Cobb had the latter as an excuse for awful behavior, the Rajah was just like that cold sober.

28 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I don't believe in Carl Everett Jr.

Isn't he in the Bible?

I had no clue Carl Everett was actually Carl Everett III when I made that joke, his father is definitely in the bible or not.

17 hours ago, OSJ said:

You are old, my friend.

No love for Gomez? Infinitely more quotable than either Carlton or Grove. Example, when asked why he only wore his glasses for one inning and then discarded them. "I could see really clearly and when I looked at home plate Jimmie Foxx was standing there and I never wanted to see anything like that again."

Old soul.  And you're older than me, ya bastard!

Lefty Gomez was a great talker and all that but Lefty Grove won 31 in 31.  When I was a kid reading the Baseball Encyclopedia for fun, stuff like that mattered.  Plus Grove won 300.  Exactly 300.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Old soul.  And you're older than me, ya bastard!

Lefty Gomez was a great talker and all that but Lefty Grove won 31 in 31.  When I was a kid reading the Baseball Encyclopedia for fun, stuff like that mattered.  Plus Grove won 300.  Exactly 300.

Grove was amazing, this is true. I really should do a comparison between Grove and Carlton, Grove played for better teams (Philly and Boston in the AL weren't the Yankees, but they weren't bad very often.) Carlton's teams were almost an embarrassment to the game, I've got to crash now, but I'll look at it when I wake up this afternoon, unless you beat me to it (which I have absolutely no problem with after the night I've had (see: Land of Confusion: This Weather Sucks), either way, should be an interesting comparison.)

Didn't Carlton once win 27 games for a Phillies team that only won 57 all season? Nothing can top that for insane stats.

• Like 1

I once hit a single in little league. That's pretty outstanding for someone with two astigmatisms who couldn't see the ball clearly.

15 hours ago, sabremike said:

Didn't Carlton once win 27 games for a Phillies team that only won 57 all season? Nothing can top that for insane stats.

Pretty much. They won 59 in 1972, so yeah, that's pretty crazy.

In a similar vein, but on a good team, Hoss Radbourn won either 59 or 60 in 1884 for a Providence Grays team that won 84, and also got the win in all three games of the "World's Series" against the New York Metropolitans. So 62 or 63 total wins of 87 that the club recorded that year. Pretty nuts.

Of course, the average player was 4'6" back then and the ball was made of a hardened piece of wrapped up twine that if they lost the game had to be called a tie. Also, everyone threw underhand.

3 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Pretty much. They won 59 in 1972, so yeah, that's pretty crazy.

Yeah; it's a 12.0 WAR season for Carlton - for perspective, it was the highest for a pitcher since 1920, and only surpassed since then one time (Gooden in 1985 had a 12.2).

So if you took him away they would have had 47 wins? The amazing thing about that is it goes to underscore how truly awful the '03 tigers were that the '72 Phillies would still have finished four games ahead of them. Right there with the '09 Doves and the '11 Rustlers.

Is 15 wins really a replacement level on a team that horrid? A confusing stat. He also started 41 games which is 6-9 more than average now for a guy who doesn't get hurt. They also only used 4 starters. A bunch of relievers had starts.

“If he wants to maintain the lie he made here, that’s fine. No one denies racism exists, but when people like him lie about an incident and others just take him at his word, it perpetuates a mythical level of racism,” he explained. “And for some reason, it appears blacks believe only blacks can talk about racism and only whites can be racists. I promise you if some scumbag yelled the N-word at Adam Jones in Fenway, it would have been on Twitter, Facebook and every other social media site asap, like every other ‘incident.’ Not to mention the liberal Boston media would have broken its neck to identify the racist. But just taking him at his word means there are a bunch of white cowards and racists living here, because no one stood up to the guy. Adam has an agenda and one needs to only look at his past commentary on race and racism to see it. But see, when you question fake hate crimes in this day and age it somehow makes you a racist. If you use this use every word or none at all.”

Yes, that's exactly who you think it is saying this.   (Emphasis all mine btw.)

OK, Adam Jones never said that the person who said it was white...don't get me wrong odds are that is the case, but Jones never said that.  What exactly is Adam Jones' agenda?  Does Shilling think that black people go around telling people that they are called racial slurs, because there is a profit in it?  Trust me, there is no upside to being called a racial slur.  How many fake hate crimes have you heard of in your entire life?  Especially how many black people go around claiming that a white person did something to them, and it turned out not to be true.  

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

when you question fake hate crimes in this day and age it somehow makes you a racist.

If you are more concerned about fake hate crimes than actual hate crimes, yes you are a racist.  It goes double if you assume every hate crime is a fake hate crime.  It goes triple if you think it is up to the victim to gather all the evidence, and present it in a way that is acceptable to your racist ass.  

Is this the thing he said back when Jones' report first came out or did he decide he'd revisit it 2 weeks later cuz not enough people were talking about what a racist piece of shit Curt Schilling is?

EDIT: It's a whole fresh batch of stupid. Jesus what a cock.

• Like 1