DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

41 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

There's two ways to look at that. Neither are wrong, but he shouldn't have said it. 

That's pretty close to what I was thinking. I would disagree with the "shouldn't have said it" part. I think folks can say whatever they want and should have to deal with what comes of it, be that good or bad.

In reading that quote, I took it as him saying that there is no wrong way to play the game, and he hopes that young folks watching don't think that the US team cares for what is happening any less than the guys from the DR or Puerto Rico.

Or maybe he's being a total shithead. We may never know. I'm sure he's going to catch a ton of shit for it, if he hasn't already.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Red Sox are coming down like fucking anvils on fans who use racial slurs.   They just banned a guy for life from the stadium:  http://deadspin.com/red-sox-ban-fan-who-used-racial-slur-at-game-for-life-1794912656

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to just send/confine them all to the stadium forever, or at least to the Boston a metro area and fence it in like Escape From New York?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Red Sox are coming down like fucking anvils on fans who use racial slurs.   They just banned a guy for life from the stadium:  http://deadspin.com/red-sox-ban-fan-who-used-racial-slur-at-game-for-life-1794912656

The MSN article on that story said the guy was banned FROM life which seemed a tad harsh. 

Seems a justifiable punishment to me. Can it be handed out at random to people I choose? I have the power...

• Like 2

Thought you were complaining about the appearance of Schilling in this thread, not the media. My mistake. 

As for the media, Schilling is a human car wreck. As much as we might decry it, the fact is that when a media outlet documents whatever latest shit his brain took, people will read/watch/click.

Here's an interesting pair of questions, considering that the first party was one of my heroes until he finally started talking to the media and we all learned what an asshole he was... So, without further ado:

1. Better pitcher: Steve Carlton or Curt Schilling? 

IMO this ain't even close, when a pitcher's nickname is "Lefty" and everyone knows who you're talking about when you say the name, he's not just pretty good, he's an immortal. If Schilling had to play on any of those shitty Philly teams that Lefty dragged kicking and screaming to somewhat respectable seasons, he'd have fucking retired or gone to Japan or Korea. Schilling belongs with guys like Jack Morris and David Cone in the Hall of the Pretty Good. If he didn't bray like a jackass every chance he gets no one outside of Boston would remember him. When you get right down to it, he's Milt Pappas with a big mouth. Carlton in his prime was the best left-hander I've ever seen and I've seen a LOT. Carlton past his prime was still terrifying to opposing hitters.

2. Most Offensive Dipshit: Steve Carlton or Curt Schilling?

If I had a nickel for every stupid, right-wing dipshit that has played MLB, I could have retired at 40 instead of 50. Schilling is a fucking jackwagon, no doubt about that. However, when you get right down to it Carlton is a lot nastier in his views and while I disagree with almost everything he says, you can't doubt the man's intelligence, it's just frightening the conclusions that he comes to, but he's not a dumb jock. Schilling on other hand is a typical dumb jock with a loud mouth that the sports media has glommed onto in a big way. He's a more verbose John Rocker, that's all. Let's put it this way, if either man were elected to an important political office, Schilling would be business as usual, Carlton in such a position would scare the hell out of me. 

Your thoughts, please.

I know nothing of Steve Carlton, so I had no clue he was that type of fellow. Disconcerting to say the least.

I have a theory that @OSJ is really named Ollie and used to be Green Arrow which would make @Tabe Speedy.

• Like 1

I'm re-nicknaming Carlton as Righty because I can. It'll be ironic in a baseball sense, but also not ironic in reality.

Edit: Digging up his 1994 interview. Holy shit is he a pre-cursor of a lot of weirdos now. Every conspiracy theory in the book. Anti-semitic. Doomsday Prepper. Etc.

• Like 1

Matt Harvey needs to learn NYC sports media has spies everywhere.  

The night before he missed the game, he was at a club in Manhattan until 4am. Then, impressively, had a round of golf in the morning.  He roughly said, fuck that, when it came time to punch into work, said he had a migraine (Read: "hung over") and apparently called the ball boy to call out sick. 

His dumb ass is going to end up getting traded to some place awful to live like Kansas City or Phoenix and we can then all laugh at how he thought he was the 2010's Derek Jeter. 

The best thing is that when he hits free agency some team will be dumb enough to give him a huge contract despite having more red flags than a Soviet mayday parade.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 9:07 PM, Tabe said:

My thought is that "Lefty" is Grove, not Carlton. 

You are old, my friend.

No love for Gomez? Infinitely more quotable than either Carlton or Grove. Example, when asked why he only wore his glasses for one inning and then discarded them. "I could see really clearly and when I looked at home plate Jimmie Foxx was standing there and I never wanted to see anything like that again."

• Like 1