DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

I don't have time to find it right now, but there is something out there about LaRouche thinking that a baseball clubhouse is a better learning environment than a school.  Of all the bullshit people act like their job is allowed to tell them to do or not to do, not brining your kid every single day isn't too much to ask.  Occasionally people bring their kids to my job, but if they did it every day someone would say something to them.  There is no reason to bring your kid to work every day, especially when that kid is old enough to stay at home by himself. 

Or if you think the clubhouse is better then school work with the club to get him a job as a clubhouse attendant or something.

Or stop thinking stupid things like a baseball clubhouse is better for your child than school.  I'm sure he can teach his kid all the math and English, but figuring out how to deal with your peers as a high school student kind of provides you with the ground rules of how to deal with all the assholes you meet in life.  Here's the article I referenced above...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-chicago-white-sox-adam-laroche-drake-best-classroom-031716

lf he's home schooled, neither of his parents have the education themselves to do it properly. If it's a tutor, whatever.

You say that as if the majority of people that homeschool actually have the education to do it properly and don't just do it to keep their legacy away from the various "agendas" they believe school to push.

That's fine. It's Kenny's team and he should run it in a way that he thinks would be better for future success. No one is really in the wrong, though. Kenny made a policy change in support of the team and clubhouse while Laroche made a career change in support of his family. I just don't get the side picking and stuff.

No Laroche is clearly in the wrong. You're forcing your fucking child on all of your coworkers and bosses every single day because you can't figure out a better way and you're making them develop a policy because of it. That's stupid as hell. Fuck that guy.

• Like 2

That kid is going to have a really warped view of social life and how the real world is when he becomes an adult. That would matter if he didn't have the type of father who will make sure he has anything he wants.

That kid is going to have a really warped view of social life and how the real world is when he becomes an adult. That would matter if he didn't have the type of father who will make sure he has anything he wants.

Maybe he'll end up with giant sandbox in the middle of his living room, while high out of his mind like Brian Wilson. That seems like where this behavior would lead. 

Maybe he'll end up with giant sandbox in the middle of his living room, while high out of his mind like Brian Wilson. That seems like where this behavior would lead. 

This reminds me of a girl I used to work with named Cindy Jr.  Cindy Jr. was not her real name, but she looked like the younger version of one of our managers.  My first job was at a national retail chain as it was for plenty of 16 and 17 year olds.  So basically 30% of the work force were high school students, and for the most part we all got along.  So one day me and a couple of friends walk into the break room and see a new girl.  One of my friends, let's call her Milhouse, strikes up a conversation with her and she asks, "What school do you go to?"  Cindy Jr., who is clearly annoyed that this very friendly girl had the nerve to speak to her, tells her that she is home schooled.  Milhouse, then asks, "Have you ever wondered what it was like to go to public school?"  Cindy Jr., who was clearly drinking ether with her lunch replies, "No, I know exactly what public school is like.  It is full of people like you."  Cindy Jr. then storms out of the room leaving all of us either stunned silent or laughing hysterically.  Her reaction to another person trying to be her friend was hostility.  The worst part about that job was the work.  The best part is that it is the best collection of coworkers I've ever had.  I have more friends from that job than I did in all of high school.  There was a group of about 30 people who we'd hang out with all the time.  The only person at that job that every single person in the group had a problem with was Cindy Jr.  She wasn't socially awkward, she was socially poisonous. 

Am I wrong to come away form this as a huge Cindy Jr. fan?

I can't even front, Cindy Jr. was hilarious when she happened to someone else.  There was always a grace period between when someone got hired and when someone encountered Cindy Jr.  Everyone had the same exact response to Cindy Jr. and it was something like, "What the fuck is her problem?"  She was the world's youngest curmudgeon.  One day I'll tell you guys about the deaf guy, who was also the world's biggest asshole.

And he grew up to be the spectator who shouted "It's Enrico Palazzo!" in Naked Gun. If you ignore when movies came out. Still the same actor.

Washington National players (and front office) are speaking out in favor of LaRoche.  White Sox players are doing the same.  Apparently, Drake had the manager's blessing, and at least a couple people in the front office.  It certainly doesn't sound like Drake had anything to do with Adam changing teams during the past few years.

It was a big enough problem for Chris Sale, so whose side are you going to take? Your ace pitcher or the 36 year old who hit .207 last year? The White Sox were not wrong. I saw that Bryce Harper spoke out in support of LaRoche and his son, which doesn't surprise me at all. Sure, he's insanely talented at baseball and makes more money than I'll ever see, but I feel pretty comfortable saying Bryce Harper is likely still on the maturity level of a teenager in some ways. 

It was a big enough problem for Chris Sale, so whose side are you going to take?

How is it a problem for Sale?  He's busy ripping White Sox management publicly for allegedly telling the players three different versions of the LaRoche story and proclaiming that it's time for the players to "rebel against bs" and hung jerseys signed by both LaRoches in his locker.  If he isn't on LaRoche's side, he has an odd way of showing it.

The initial story I read said Chris Sale was one of the ones that complained about about Drake LaRoche being in the clubhouse too much. At this point, I don't even care anymore. I'm ready for the season to start and for this to be forgotten about.

The initial story I read said Chris Sale was one of the ones that complained about about Drake LaRoche being in the clubhouse too much. At this point, I don't even care anymore. I'm ready for the season to start and for this to be forgotten about.

Ah, didn't hear that.  Sale seems to have changed his mind.  His signed Drake jersey reads "Chris, Thank you for taking care of me, Drake" and he told ESPN today the only problem in the clubhouse this spring is Kenny Williams.

I don't see how this is a story either.  White Sox are within their rights to limit clubhouse access and LaRoche is within his rights to walk away from his contract.  I half think this is some wacky Kenny Williams plot to get out from under LaRoche's contract.

The most surprising thing is that LaRoche apparently opted to retire outright instead of telling the team he wanted to retire and trying to negotiate a buyout to do so.  The player's association will not be pleased.

Edit: LaRoche now says Williams first asked him to scale back Drake's club house time, then told him not to bring Drake at all.  And that Drake's presence was discussed and agreed to a year ago before he signed the contract.  Assuming that's true, I'm 100% LaRoche. 

If that is true, it makes me this really is Vince McMahon Kenny Williams trying to get Mark Henry LaRoche to quit and get from under a bad contract.

Oh for fucks sake, apparently there was a Drake LaRoche Access clause in Adam's contract.  The MLBPA is now involved. 

Chris Sale is irate about the whole thing and has been chirping non-stop about this. 

Oh for fucks sake, apparently there was a Drake LaRoche Access clause in Adam's contract. The MLBPA is now involved.

Chris Sale is irate about the whole thing and has been chirping non-stop about this.

If that is indeed the case than all debate over this subject is moot and the team is 100% wrong here. A contract is a contract.

What are the odds that if he does come back he only bats .240 at best?   Ever since that huge contract with the Pirates I think he has maybe 3 solid years.  

My biggest problem is listening to sports talk radio guys trying to prove their manhood to other men talking about how a 14 year old is terrible for the locker room because it doesn't allow them to say offensive things (like he hasn't heard them before) or apparently talk about how much pussy they are getting on the road. If that is an issue then it perfectly explains why there were a Meh team last year

The 50's-early 60's Yankees were led by two alcoholics, in Ford and Mantle, with Billy martin in tow, and they won an obscene amount of pennants, and cheated on their wives all the time. I would bet that similar behavior takes place on last place clubs. . . .Just as an aside, do the bat boys ever spend time in the locker room? I would doubt they avoid exposure to regular locker room antics. . .