DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

I can understand why the White Sox made the request and don't think it's at all unreasonable.  That said, congrats to Adam Laroche for being willing to walk away from that sort of money instead of spend another summer seeing his son part-time.

My son is almost 19.  If I could dial him back to 14 and afford to take the summer out to hang out with him, I certainly would.

I'm glad I'll never know if Laroche makes the same decision if he hit .325 last year.

• Like 1

My son is almost 19.  If I could dial him back to 14 and afford to take the summer out to hang out with him, I certainly would.

Yeah but would you pass up $13M to do so? I get that it's the end of his career, and maybe he's already made that fuck money, (BR says over $71M) but still, that's a hell of a last payday to walk away from when you're gonna have at least a few years before the kid goes to college.

Yeah but would you pass up $13M to do so? I get that it's the end of his career, and maybe he's already made that fuck money, (BR says over $71M) but still, that's a hell of a last payday to walk away from when you're gonna have at least a few years before the kid goes to college.

Dunno.  Hopefully.  Especially if I had made at least $71 million over the previous decade or so.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.  If he still wanted to play, more power to him.  If he simply wants to collect the money due him from a legally binding contract, more power to him for that.  It is an insane money to walk away from considering you could be home full time anyway six months from now.  If it really isn't worth it to him to spend six months away from the family and not be able to take his son to work (as much), more power to him for that too.

Of course, three's some other factors.  I'd be a little less interested in taking the $13 mil if I thought I was going to hit .200, get booed regularly at home games, and have people talk shit about me everyday on the internet and talk radio.  That contract and his production last year basically make him a pinata for fans, especially if the White Sox don't have a good year,

I heard some discussion on the radio this morning about this.  My thoughts are good for him that he can afford to put family first and walk away.  But it also sounds like he really had been pushing the limits for years now.  I have no backup on these claims, just going by what I heard on the radio but supposedly he had the White Sox make a uniform for the kid, and supposedly the kid was in the locker room DAILY when he was with the Nationals and they were playing at home.  There was speculation that maybe the kid is why he's changed teams so much in recent years.  So it sounds like this may have been a long time coming.  I don't know for sure how I feel about kids being in a locker room in general but I'm sure it's not the worst thing in the world for players to have to clean up what they talk about in a locker room.

Fuck him he's a douche. I hate when people put other people in that position. It's not enough for you to just bring your kid to the park once in a while, you have to keep pushing the limits and bring him every single day and force someone to tell you to stop. Have some damn common sense.

• Like 1

Not sure if they could get away with it but at the very least if he wants the kid there everyday make him a club house attendant or something like that so there's at least a reason for him to be there other then I have more money then most and my kid wont have to work a day in his life before he leaves college.

A big clarification on this is that they didn't say he couldn't bring his son, they said he couldn't bring his son every day.  So, the kid is allowed in the clubhouse from time to time, just not daily.  If your 14 year old kid can't figure out something to do when you're at your $13 million a year job, you and your kid are losers.

• Like 2

One thing that's being missed here is Laroche's connection to his son and this was something always allowed in the past and for this season, it's no longer allowable. For Laroche, that was enough to call it quits. I don't think anyone is necessarily in the wrong and it's adults making decisions for 1) Their team and 2) Their family.

The shit talking towards Laroche is a little overboard.

• Like 1

My first thought when I heard Laroche's reason for retiring was that his son may be a special needs child. However, I haven't seen that reported anywhere. Even if that was the case, I can't imagine an MLB clubhouse would be the best environment for someone with developmental disabilities. 

That's fine. It's Kenny's team and he should run it in a way that he thinks would be better for future success. No one is really in the wrong, though. Kenny made a policy change in support of the team and clubhouse while Laroche made a career change in support of his family. I just don't get the side picking and stuff.

Apparently there was a really unpleasant players meeting with Kenny about the whole thing

David KaplanVerified account @thekapman 16h16 hours ago

Sources tell me one of the players very upset w/Kenny Williams was Chris Sale. The meeting yesterday was very contentious and Sale spoke up.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan 3h3 hours ago

F-bombs aplenty flew during the White Sox's meeting with Kenny Williams. Players so pissed they considered boycott, as @karlravechespn said.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan 2h2 hours ago

The main thrust of Chris Sale's anger with Kenny Williams was that he's not around enough to understand the dynamics of White Sox clubhouse.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan 2h2 hours ago

After GM Rick Hahn and manager Robin Ventura OK'd Drake LaRoche's presence, for Williams to unilaterally say otherwise set the players off.

I don't have time to find it right now, but there is something out there about LaRouche thinking that a baseball clubhouse is a better learning environment than a school.  Of all the bullshit people act like their job is allowed to tell them to do or not to do, not brining your kid every single day isn't too much to ask.  Occasionally people bring their kids to my job, but if they did it every day someone would say something to them.  There is no reason to bring your kid to work every day, especially when that kid is old enough to stay at home by himself. 

I don't have time to find it right now, but there is something out there about LaRouche thinking that a baseball clubhouse is a better learning environment than a school.  Of all the bullshit people act like their job is allowed to tell them to do or not to do, not brining your kid every single day isn't too much to ask.  Occasionally people bring their kids to my job, but if they did it every day someone would say something to them.  There is no reason to bring your kid to work every day, especially when that kid is old enough to stay at home by himself. 

Or if you think the clubhouse is better then school work with the club to get him a job as a clubhouse attendant or something.