DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this belongs here, only because he probably should have kept his mouth shut, regardless of what he may have heard from his son:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/andy-van-slyke-implies-clayton-kershaw-wants-yasiel-puig-off-the-dodgers-190716117.html

SVS would stand to gain quite a bit of playing time, so for all I know, Andy is just trying to stir up some shit and get his boy some more time in the field.

True or not, probably not something he should have started spouting off about.

Correct or no, it's the wrong place to open your mouth about it. And as a former player, he should understand that better than anyone.

He waited 20 years to make the claim that he had told Bonds to come in a few steps to play Cabrera in the 1992 NLCS. Whether or not that's true, we will probably never know, but it's odd that he didn't throw Bonds under the bus then, especially seeing as there was no way he was going to be back with PIT the following year.

Andy has never really been one to not speak out, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that he said it, it just strikes me as improper.

• 3 weeks later...

Dusty Baker shared some really bad thoughts today.

Q. Dusty, you had Aroldis Chapman when he broke into the majors. What was that process like? Were you surprised by the report?
DUSTY BAKER: I don't believe reports. Who knows why? I'm not one to judge on how the whole thing happened.

OK, that's fair, I suppose. He wasn't there. Moving on.

Q. Were you surprised by -- I don't know how much you read about the allegations.

DUSTY BAKER: I didn't read it.

Sure. No one wants to speak from a position of ignorance. Best to just let it go.

Q. Are you surprised that this popped up?

DUSTY BAKER: I don't read most of the stuff you guys write. No, I don't.

...Seems like a non sequitur. Kind of an unnecessarily combative one, too?

Q. I believe you. I didn't know if you heard anything.

DUSTY BAKER: I heard it from my son. I mean, who's to say the allegations are true, number one. And who's to say what you would have done or what caused the problem.

Uh...

Q. Dusty, do you believe that it's a good thing that baseball now has a domestic policy?

DUSTY BAKER: Yes.

Q. Domestic violence policy?

DUSTY BAKER: Yeah. I think it's a great thing. I mean, I got a buddy at home that's being abused by his wife. So I think this policy needs to go further than the player. I think the policy should go to whoever's involved. Sometimes abusers don't always have pants on.

Hoo-fucking-boy. Dusty rounded the bases from "I don't believe reports..." to "but my buddy's wife is a nag and not all abusers wear pants" in breakneck speed. The kind of speed you only find in, say, Latin or African American ballplayers.

What? Oh, right. Dusty said something like that, too.

Q. Dusty, you've talked to Mike and people in the front office, is there anything that you've specifically said that you think you'd like to have on a roster that you don't necessarily have at the moment?

DUSTY BAKER: Yeah. You're always in need of left-handed pitching, left-handed hitting, and in need of speed. I think that's the number one thing that's missing, I think, in the game is speed. You know, with the need for minorities, you can help yourself —you've got a better chance of getting some speed with Latin and African-Americans. I'm not being racist. That's just how it is.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=115385

DUSTY BAKER: Yeah. I think it's a great thing. I mean, I got a buddy at home that's being abused by his wife. So I think this policy needs to go further than the player. I think the policy should go to whoever's involved. Sometimes abusers don't always have pants on.

Hoo-fucking-boy. Dusty rounded the bases from "I don't believe reports..." to "but my buddy's wife is a nag and not all abusers wear pants" in breakneck speed.

Way to go, reinforcing that false stereotype that women don't abuse men. Nope, she must be a nag, can't possible actually be abusive. I mean, heck, that whole Tawny Kitaen thing was just a bit of nagging, right?

• 5 weeks later...

He has to continue being associated with the Cardinals Way until he dies. This seems sufficient enough punishment. This will be done by making him Tony LaRussa's personal assistant.

Maximum sentence would be 25 years and 1.25 million in fines.

Also, the guy who he hacked is a fucking moron.

Less a hacking, and more a "Luhnow didn't change any passwords" sort of deal is what I remember reading. Not real fucking bright, for sure. And yet, pretty smart about baseball type stuff. It's like that friend you have that can do complex mathematics, but can't remember to turn off the stove after using it.