DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

48 minutes ago, hammerva said:

so it looks like the A's will be looking for a new stadium and TV guy   apparently thinking the N in one of the baseball museum didn't mean Negro

Yeah that's... Even giving him the benefit of the doubt that it was a slip of the tongue... That's just a bad bad error to make.

FWIW, Bob Kendrick, the president of the Negro Leagues Museum, is calling for forgiveness for Kuiper.

I'm aware of the unfortunate slur made by Glen Kuiper. I welcomed Glen to the NLBM yesterday and know he was genuinely excited to be here. The word is painful and has no place in our society. And while I don't pretend to know Glen's heart I do know that my heart is one of forgiveness. I hope all of you will find it in ourselves to do the same!

According to a report from the Orange County Register’s Bill Plunkett, Betts took the unusual step of booking an Airbnb in Milwaukee rather than staying with the rest of the team at the Pfister Hotel because the 130-year-old hotel is said to be haunted.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Trolleydodgers decided to disinvite a drag nun group from their Pride Night festivities because *insert politics-laden rant here*

The LA LGBTIA+ Center (along with several other groups) is now threatening to pull out of all Dodgers Pride Night events in protest of this decision.  And I'd highly suggest, if you don't have a Twitter Blue filter/blocker on, don't read the replies.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Trolleydodgers decided to disinvite a drag nun group from their Pride Night festivities because *insert politics-laden rant here*

The LA LGBTIA+ Center (along with several other groups) is now threatening to pull out of all Dodgers Pride Night events in protest of this decision.  And I'd highly suggest, if you don't have a Twitter Blue filter/blocker on, don't read the replies.  

As a Dodgers fan in Music City, I am disappointed in their decision to disinvite The Sisters.

Caving in to the haters is no way to do this.

Look, if the Dodgers don't want that particular group there, fine. You can easily make a case that they are mocking religion, etc. Fine, whatever. Doesn't bother me, they're welcome to do whatever and the Dodgers can invite (or not) whoever they want. 

BUT... if you don't want them there, don't invite them. You can't invite and then rescind. That's just bad. If you think you're going to take backlash if they're there, well, take the backlash. Be aggressive and tell people to screw themselves if they complain. But yeah, don't invite and then back out. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 3

Apparently the Catholic League went crying to Manfred about the Sisters.  One day later they got uninvited.   

"Manfred... Stop ruining my favorite sports you stupid fuckface Challenge"

• Like 2

Apparently one of the factors in his firing was "information uncovered in the internal review," which makes me wonder WTF came up there. Big yikes.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 1:43 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Update:

• Like 2

Several teams do these; the number waxes and wanes from season to season depending on how many yokels on their roster yammer for one, whether there is a presenting sponsor, etc.

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So now they’re just throwing anything against the wall in a futile attempt to make everyone happy

This was entirely predictable. 

On 5/26/2023 at 4:09 PM, Hamhock said:

Several teams do these; the number waxes and wanes from season to season depending on how many yokels on their roster yammer for one, whether there is a presenting sponsor, etc.

The Royals have pretty much done a Faith and Family Day every year for at least 20 years. The main events for all that happen post-game. They just held "Faith Night" on a Saturday afternoon this weekend, which is an amusingly vague enough name for a promotion for a team 20 games under .500 before Memorial Day with a bunch of young guys.

Royals were also a late adopter to the whole concept of a Pride Night at the ballpark.

When a team is trying to attract crowds, having a wide variety of theme nights makes sense, even if some of them aren’t for you personally. I bet if I look at a random team’s promotion list, maybe I’d qualify one or two of them, be they religious, vocational, ethic or other. If I was offended by any of them, I’d prob just not go that night. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 9:00 AM, odessasteps said:

When a team is trying to attract crowds, having a wide variety of theme nights makes sense, even if some of them aren’t for you personally. I bet if I look at a random team’s promotion list, maybe I’d qualify one or two of them, be they religious, vocational, ethic or other. If I was offended by any of them, I’d prob just not go that night. 

You seemingly reasonable thinker!

Sorry to use that language, but when I read stuff like posted above I just lose my cool.

Meanwhile the Nationals are having more pitchers with shitty opinions about gays.  As if awful overpaid Patrick Corbin was enough.   Given that they have a Pride Night coming up in a week with a bobblehead of the mascot holding a rainbow flag, I am sure it is going to get really bad in the next couple weeks.    

Max Scherzer, who seemed to like the strict pitch clock earlier this year when he was trying to quick pitch and abuse the system, is now no longer a fan.  Seems he got less than 8 warmup pitches because his catcher made the last out in the previous half-inning and wasn't quick to the plate to catch Scherzer's pitches.  So Max didn't get his 8 tosses in 2 minutes in.  And he's up in his feelings about it:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37776091/mlb-strict-pitch-clock-enforcement-frustrating-max-scherzer

Apparently Max has never seen a backup catcher or coach or whoever go out to the plate to catch warmup tosses before.  I've seen it dozens of times in games I've watched or attended.  Heck, I've DONE it when I was coaching.  

Good grief.

Blue Jays reliever Anthony Bass shared a video on Instagram at the end of May in support of the anti-LGBTQ boycotts of Bud Light and Target which described the brands as "evil" and demonic." This led to an inauthentic apology with talk of more to come. He and GM Ross Atkins took questions from the media today, and it's clear he most regrets sharing his beliefs publicly rather than holding those beliefs at all. 

All this leading to: Bass catching the first pitch tomorrow night to kick off the Blue Jays Pride Weekend. Not sure the organization could have gotten this more wrong. 

• Like 2