DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Better or worse than the guy (i think an Oriole) who missed a game from sunburn. 

Is that better or worse than going on the DL with a knee injury suffered when you kick an electric fan in the dugout?  I'm not referring to Kyle Farnsworth.  

(NARRATOR - He was extremely referring to Kyle Farnsworth.)

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You could always punch the fan, like Jouquin Andujar.

Pretty sure the fan puncher was John Tudor.  Now Andujar had all sorts of other crazy things going on.

Yep.  It was Tudor in the 85 World Series - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-11-05-sp-4411-story.html

Edited by EdA

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You could always punch the fan, like Jouquin Andujar.

When I was a kid, my friend's dad referred to him as "Walking Underwear" and I thought that was the funniest thing I'd ever heard.

• Like 1

Hunter Renfroe went on a Boston radio show and was blaming Boston's COVID outbreak on how MLB told the Red Sox to stop testing people and just focus on folks with symptoms.

MLB and, possibly more importantly his own team, both said he was full of shit

For context - Chris Sale today became the 9th Red Sock to test positive and 11 others are out due to symptoms or close contacts (reminder that only unvaccinated have to be out if deemed a close contact)

For more context - Boston is one of the teams under the 85% threshold

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This post is specifically referring to the Rangers but in the comments someone pointed out the Astros did the same thing

And that "thing" is making sure to delete the part that said "LGBTQ+ youth"

• 1 month later...

Its an interesting situation. The initial reports on Ozuna sounded bad, like "will he play again" bad. But then he got a really light legal punishment for it, and now the MLB suspension is basically nothing compared to other DV suspensions they have dealt out. MLB in recent years has not shied away from suspending people for DV issues, even if there was no criminal prosecution. It just feels like the investigation by the DA and MLB came to a different conclusion than the initial police report, whether it be the report wasn't accurate, there were other circumstances, etc. etc.  This implies that the initial reports were not what really happened, which would explain the charges changing so much:

Hopefully Ozuna takes his family-violence intervention program seriously and improves himself as a person. I am curious to see what the Braves do. They won't cut him, so the only options are to play him (and force him first to read a statement for PR) or find a trade partner and probably have to eat part of the cost.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 6:50 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Former LA Angels employee Eric Kay has been Federally charged with drug possession and intent to distribute, in connection with the overdose death of Tyler Skaggs.

The trial for Eric Kay is underway and Matt Harvey is a key witness.  

Which of course makes this picture make a HELL of a lot more sense:

Spoiler

FLpo6QYXMAMCZU5?format=jpg&name=large

Matt Harvey's admission that he distributed opioids means that he can be suspended by MLB... if a team signs him.

The following players all testified that they used - which is not subject for suspension, just opens them up to requiring treatment (its the difference between using PEDs and using "drugs of abuse")

• C.J. Cron
  • Mike Morin
  • Cam Bedrosian
  • Blake Parker

Eric Kay has indeed been found guilty

A Fort Worth jury has convicted former Angels communications director Eric Kay on charges of distributing fentanyl resulting in the death of pitcher Tyler Skaggs. Kay was also convicted on a charge of conspiracy with intent to distribute controlled substances (via T.J. Quinn of ESPN and Sam Blum of the Athletic).

Skaggs passed away on July 1, 2019 after a drug overdose. The jury determined beyond a reasonable doubt that Kay was responsible for supplying Skaggs with the drugs that led to his death, as well as that the distribution occurred in Texas (where the Angels were playing a road series against the Rangers).

Throughout the trial, five more former Angels players (C.J. Cron, Matt Harvey, Mike Morin, Cam Bedrosian and Blake Parker) testified they’d received opiates from Kay during their time in Anaheim. Harvey admitted he’d also supplied Percocet pills to Skaggs — for which he’s reportedly facing possible suspension by MLB — but the jury found that Kay had given Skaggs the drugs that resulted in his death.

Kay will return to court for sentencing on June 28. He faces a minimum of twenty years in prison.