DVDVR Message Board

Stupid Crap Baseball Players Say or Do

Dolfan in NYC

If you're referring to me, I apologize to this man that I've never met before, that I heard a word that sounded a lot like another.  

I further apologize to all of you for bringing this to the board.  

I will do better in the future. 

37 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If you're referring to me, I apologize to this man that I've never met before, that I heard a word that sounded a lot like another.  

I further apologize to all of you for bringing this to the board.  

I will do better in the future. 

Actually was referring to all the people in my Twitter timeline who were pitching a fit the other night.  Was not aiming my comment at you in any way.

Interesting that you thought you fit the description, though.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

... and now the fan in question is saying he's afraid of the blowback from the Twitter mob.  To me, this shouldn't have become a story.  I feel like the guy is clearly saying "Dinger" and in some of the video footage, he appears to be trying to attract the attention of the nearby skills.  Sigh.  Oh, yeah, the guy was at the game with his grandkids and wanted a photo of the kids with the mascot.  You shouldn't have to be Colombo to figure this one out.

I feel like this situation should have been defused before it got started.  And, annoyingly enough, the folks that rushed to judgment and were wrong are now curiously silent on the matter.  Not that I'm surprised.

I thought he was saying the slur the first time I saw the video.  Or, at least, it sounded like it.  It definitely struck me as bizarre that somebody would yell that so loudly in public.  Having seen more video, I'm pretty comfortable saying he was yelling "Dinger".

Still LOTS of headlines calling it a "racial incident" or something similarly inflammatory when reporting that the investigation cleared the guy.  No public apology from the Rockies yet either.  Heck, their Twitter feed doesn't even mention that they investigated and cleared the guy. 

• Like 2

I dunno. Based on what I've read about the first Bauer accuser, they had consensual rough sex...which was egged on with lots of racy back and forth texts prior to their encounter. At no point during did she say stop. A she actually had a second encounter with him. Am I getting any of these main points wrong? 

I'm not sure if I see any punishable offenses...? Again please correct me if I'm wrong, if there are any facts that I'm missing I'd welcome them, this isn't a hill I intend to die on lol.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I dunno. Based on what I've read about the first Bauer accuser, they had consensual rough sex...which was egged on with lots of racy back and forth texts prior to their encounter. At no point during did she say stop. A she actually had a second encounter with him. Am I getting any of these main points wrong? 

I'm not sure if I see any punishable offenses...? Again please correct me if I'm wrong, if there are any facts that I'm missing I'd welcome them, this isn't a hill I intend to die on lol.

This is from the initial Athletic report regarding that case. So in this one specific case

The woman said that she met Bauer on Instagram in April 2021 and traveled from San Diego to Los Angeles to meet him in person on April 21, which she said was when the first of the two encounters occurred. She said the second time occurred on the evening of May 15.

The woman said both encounters began in a consensual manner before Bauer committed acts that she did not provide consent for.

The woman also said the second encounter resulted in her suffering "two black eyes, a bloodied swollen lip, significant bruising and scratching to one side of her face," per Ghiroli and Strang. She said her medical notes also stated that she suffered "significant head and facial trauma" and that she showed signs of basilar skull fracture.

(Note: Following publication of this story, representatives for Bauer contacted Bleacher Report and noted that a later CT scan did not show the woman suffered an acute fracture of the skull despite the initial diagnosis reported by The Athletic.)

The woman also stated that she lost consciousness during the first encounter and woke up to Bauer penetrating her anally.

"I woke up face down on the bed, disoriented. I began realizing that he was having sex with me in my anus, which I never communicated that I wanted, nor did I consent," the woman said in the declaration, which was signed "under penalty of perjury of California state laws," per Ghiroli and Strang.

I bolded the parts just since that is relevant to this as if she changed her mind or if Bauer went far beyond - that is absolutely punishable

And just to make clear

At no point during did she say stop.

We have no idea what happened so, in general, I would caution against statements like this

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

...and that's a drive deep to left field...

That's the worst Charlie Chan impersonation I've ever heard.

I give him a pass just for how shitty that try was.

Had a friend in the 90s that would do that style of voice whenever we went to a Chinese buffet, except his impersonation was spot on.

Had to stop going out in public with that guy.

• Like 2

Bauer “won” in court today.  The judge denied the petition for a permanent restraining order against Bauer and dissolved the temporary restraining order.  Per the ESPN article, it wasn’t proven that Bauer was an ongoing threat to the woman seeking the order.

Also:

The judge said the "injuries as shown in the photographs are terrible" but added, "If she set limits and he exceeded them, this case would've been clear. But she set limits without considering all the consequences, and respondent did not exceed limits that the petitioner set."

(The section quotes above was cut and pasted from ESPN’s article on the decision.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32051068/woman-denied-restraining-order-trevor-bauer

Not really sure to make of this result. 

On 8/11/2021 at 11:39 AM, Craig H said:

It makes me laugh that euphemisms for a dick, like dingers and dongs, are just widely used and accepted in baseball.

Yeah, there's an Onion headline in there to be had: "Fan cleared of using racial slur: 'I like shouting about dicks, though'."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Woah. So, uh, RIP Topps?

Get your answers here

(Link should go directly to where I posted it and the discussion - not sure why Dolfan put it here)

• 3 weeks later...