DVDVR Message Board

All in the Game - The Wire Appreciation Thread

RonL21

• 4 months later...

Finally finished watching this last night.  I actually loved Season 5.  The final stretch set to the first season's theme was incredible and

(I don't want to ruin anyone else who has yet to watch it)

Bubs getting to sit down with his family with the door open was the most heart-warming scene in the run of the show

I'd probably say Season 4 > Season 2 > Season 3/Season 5 > Season 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished the fifth season, and I feel safe in saying "best show ever" (with the obvious caveat being that I haven't seen every other show ever) This is easily a show I could rewatch every few years.

Favourite character was probably Bodie. Even though it was obviously coming, I was still pissed when he was taken out. Snoop was somewhat magnetic every time she was on screen. I liked Carver's growth from jerkoff to responsible, by the book cop. Bunk probably had the best lines in the whole show. All 4 of the kids left a huge impression in season 4. Hell, little Bug probably had the most emotional scene for me when Michael is dropping him off at his aunt's and he has tears rolling down his face.

I bought the first season of Treme for $2 at a thrift store, so I'll be starting on that soon. Any good? How about Homicide? I've heard Generation Kill is worth checking out. And I think I'll definitely be picking up Simon's books.

• Like 1

The Corner (the book and likely the miniseries, which I haven't watched all of) will wreck your shit. Treme will too but it is also gorgeous in the spirit of humanity that it lets the actors show and is a small treasure you don't get very many of. 

1. The Wire

2. Breaking Bad

3. Deadwood

4. The Sopranos

5. Game of Thrones

In that order. I think The Wire will pretty much always be unfuckwithable at number one on the list. Few years back I was one of those super annoying Wire nerds that talked constantly about how good it was and urged everyone I knew to watch it but, whatever, the more people I got to watch it, the better,

The more I watch it, the more I love the second series. Frank Sobotka is pretty much one of my all time favourite characters.

• RIPPA locked this topic