DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan in NYC

Fuck Duke.

More like fuck college basketball. It's almost as bad as the 60's with UCLA now. Only a handful of teams get to win. Last year we were supposed to buy a team winning its 2nd title in 4 years and its 4th in 15 as an "underdog". Bullshit. And all the fogies who have defended Shitzewski for years with that "plays the right way" garbage need to realize that he's no better than Calipari with the "rent-a-player" crap.

I'm pretty sure Calipari isn't a good coach. It's really hard to say because his team is a total outlier. I don't remember another coach that has had to deal with the "This team is disappointing if they don't win every game" deal. Maybe Tark in UNLV's prime? But he sort of set himself up for failure by doing this every year. Dude also lost to Robert Morris in the NIT.

Coach K certainly uses that method and has had his down years/upsets in the tournament. But five titles says it all, even though he's the worst.

Fuck Duke.

More like fuck college basketball. It's almost as bad as the 60's with UCLA now. Only a handful of teams get to win.

How is that any different than it's always been? If you look at the history of the tournament, it's mostly the same names over and over again. Since 1980, I think only 6-8 of the tournament winners have just the one tournament win. The haves tend to win more than the have-nots in college sports. It's one of the perks of being a have.

We've also seen George Mason, Butler, VCU and Wichita State sneak into the Final Four. Butler came 1/4th of an inch from winning the tournament. Mid-majors and oddball teams can make a deep run. It's hard and requires a ton of luck. But getting over the hump requires some help.

I would like to echo the fuck Duke sentiment. Grayson Allen in particular.

How disappointing was Wisconsin's offense in the second half? They were settling for bad jumpers, tentative to drive to the basket or feed Frank on the post. It's like their guards didn't think they could lob it in to Frank even though he was covered by somebody half his size. Just weird. I know Duke's strong team defense played a big part in this but even Hayes missed a wide open layup. Where was Sam Dekker in the 2nd? Frank was also hesitant when he got the ball. The idiots on the TSN panel even made a good call in the intermission, noting that there were several times where he would catch the ball and not be ready, allowing the defense to shift. That's not like him, because he almost always gets it, pump fakes and then drives. This hesitancy only got worse as the game wore on.

The officials did them no favors but the loss lies primarily on their inability to execute offensively in crunch time. It's too bad we're unlikely to see them in the big 4 any time soon as losing Dekker, Kaminsky, and to a lesser extent Gasser, is a big blow. Koenig and Hayes will be really good but their supporting cast... 

I get the Big 10 Network for some reason and it's going to be interesting to see how they do next year. I'll watch closely.

Wisconsin was in the double bonus for about 25% of the game, despite being the team that fouled the least all year.

One of the refs last night was Joe DaRosa. I only know the name because he does a ton of A-10 games. I've seen him ref La Salle no less than 20 times. He is absolutely awful. I wouldn't let him ref a 4th grade game, let alone a NCAA National Championship game. He's beyond inconsistent and you can always see coaches influence him going both ways. He is absolutely awful.

Coach K completely worked him and the other refs.

Small thing, but I hated the decision by Wisconsin to foul in the final minute when they pulled within three points. There was like 35 seconds left, and I get that you're trying to extend the game, but I don't like giving away free points. You just got three straight stops, so buckle down one more time and force Duke to make a play.

• Like 1

Small thing, but I hated the decision by Wisconsin to foul in the final minute when they pulled within three points. There was like 35 seconds left, and I get that you're trying to extend the game, but I don't like giving away free points. You just got three straight stops, so buckle down one more time and force Duke to make a play.

Big mistake.  No one wants to talk about it.  Tell'em Fallacy!

I think I was still too much in shock that Duke let them up with that fucking stupid run out to fully register that decision.

In retrospect, yeah, at least try to get a stop first, then foul around twenty seconds left if they still have the ball.

For those questioning whether Duke gets favoritism from the NCAA:

NCAA officials have admitted that the on-court referees did not the see the TV replay that showed Duke deflecting the ball out of bounds. Viewers at home and the announcers all did but the referees did not. This despite the fact that they're supposed to get the same views as the ones TV viewers get. After turning back to the court, the alternate referee saw the angle, realized they were wrong and...decided not to call back the on-court refs to look again, something that was within his rights/powers. He "didn't want to change the balance of the game". Uh...