DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan in NYC

The best part about Kentucky losing is they lost.

The worst part about Kentucky losing is a Duke/Wisconsin championship game. The ultimate evil against my least favorite program from a style perspective. I might be sitting Monday out.

Funny. As an IU alum, Rooting for Duke for stop kentuckys undeafeated season for me would have been like rooting for United to stop the red team from winning the premier league or the cardinals to stop the yanks from winning the world series.

And I'm trying to enjoy Frank the Tank before he gets destroyed by NBA bigs. I want his game to translate but I don't think it will.

Speaking of Kaminsky, I thought it was clever of Kentucky to double up on the drive 'n spin move he has perfected. It worked so well for the first half but then Wisconsin made adjustments and he posted up more and they spaced out their offense more, taking away the help D. Brilliant stuff.

Edited by Oyaji

Dirk made a living (and then some) with that impossible to defend fadeaway. Kaminski doesn't have that. I don't think he's going to be able to take most bigs on the dribble from the 3 pt line like he can in college. That's where he generates half of his offense. His post moves are really good and he's tricky but he won't be as effective.

Some people come from the school of "cheer for your conference if your team isn't in it."

Others, myself generally included, comes from the school of "fuck every other team in the conference I hope they all lose"

But then there's the whole "fuck Duke" thing and, I mean, seriously, fuck Duke.

• Like 4

Some people come from the school of "cheer for your conference if your team isn't in it."

Others, myself generally included, comes from the school of "fuck every other team in the conference I hope they all lose"

But then there's the whole "fuck Duke" thing and, I mean, seriously, fuck Duke.

It makes a certain logic to root for the conference, since it means some $$$ trickling down to your own school.

I mean, i would have rooted for iowa or Wisconsin or Minnesota or Michigan State or Northwestern in the Rose Bowl or March Madness, but not Michigan or OSU or Purdue or Illinois.

If it was Kentucky/Duke, I would just not care. If it was Kentucky/MSU, I'd root for MSU. I don't care that much about rivalries to matter. It's not like I went to UW-Madison or love this state so much that I stand by it like my life depends on it. #ONWISCONSIN #REDBRIGRADE #BADGERSWOULDKILLWOLVERINESANDSPARTANS #ILIKECHEESE

• Like 1

It would be nice to get the no national titles since 2000 despite being generally the best conference overall thing off the B1G's back, although ironic if it happened this year when it wasn't very good.

As a pretty much lifelong Wisconsin fan I not sure what I like to see more.

That the UW basketball team has finally worked past the final four not because they go out and recruit a team full of NBA ready big kids, but instead teach fundamental solid team basketball.

or

The Big 10 which gets shit on constantly might have both the football and basketball national champs this year.

• Like 1

I wish the shot-clock didn't exist and they did away with the three-point line and you could just hold the ball in the half-court set forever.

Keep It classy, Kentucky

The most damning thing about Harrison's racial slur is that Kaminski is not a black person.

What goes for white people goes for black people.  If you are going to be a douchebag and use racial slurs, at least be smart enough to correctly identity the ethnic origin of the person you are trying to offend. 

Poor choice of words, indeed.

• Like 1

What's wrong with Wisconsin's style of play? They play a beautiful game on offense.

I think Gregg thinks the Badgers are still coached by Dick Bennett and his slow-down offense.

#ILIKECHEESE.

Wisconsin had the fifth slowest pace in all of college basketball this season. They hold the ball consistently. I'll give them credit because they make their shots and have a good PPP as a result. Also, they get fouled on over 25% of their possessions. They're Top 40 in the country in that stat, so it's largely a parade to the FT line after they pound it in to Sam or Frank.

They seem like a lovable bunch of goofballs, so I'll give them credit for that. But you all need to stop acting like they're Loyola-Marymount or an aesthetically brilliant slow pace team like when Princeton has it going. They what they are. It works, but it's a fucking chore for me to get through.

It's a toss-up for me. I mean, I hate Duke like every American should but this is the most enjoyable Duke team ever. They don't have anyone who makes me want to drive to Durham with a prison weapon. In fact, I could not possibly love Justis Winston more. He's one of my favorite big-program college players in years.

... That wasn't a racial slur. It's still dumb that he said it, but it wasn't a racial slur so ease off on the pitchforks.

He dropped the n-bomb, bro.  Last time I checked, it was a racial slur.  Saying it in the wrong context doesn't make it any less offensive. 

I've used it as a term of endearment before in reference to my homies (i figure I'm allowed to since I am black), but then I still feel uneasy with that word slipping past my teeth.

I am slowly embracing the Wanda Sykes wisdom of, "If you don't want to hear that word anymore, don't use that word anymore."

I am not getting rid of any of my NWA CD's so I will still maintain some level of comfortable hypocrisy.

• Like 2

What's wrong with Wisconsin's style of play? They play a beautiful game on offense.

I think Gregg thinks the Badgers are still coached by Dick Bennett and his slow-down offense.

#ILIKECHEESE.

Wisconsin had the fifth slowest pace in all of college basketball this season. They hold the ball consistently. I'll give them credit because they make their shots and have a good PPP as a result. Also, they get fouled on over 25% of their possessions. They're Top 40 in the country in that stat, so it's largely a parade to the FT line after they pound it in to Sam or Frank.

They seem like a lovable bunch of goofballs, so I'll give them credit for that. But you all need to stop acting like they're Loyola-Marymount or an aesthetically brilliant slow pace team like when Princeton has it going. They what they are. It works, but it's a fucking chore for me to get through.

It's a toss-up for me. I mean, I hate Duke like every American should but this is the most enjoyable Duke team ever. They don't have anyone who makes me want to drive to Durham with a prison weapon. In fact, I could not possibly love Justis Winston more. He's one of my favorite big-program college players in years.

I think that's a little harsh. They aren't just holding it to wear down clock. The Kentucky game was a great example of constant motion, off and on-ball screens to get mismatches, and consistent attempts at probing from outside (from any and everybody, not just guards). They aren't all that reliant on posting up, even if Bo is a huge proponent of it. I actually felt they should've done more of it during the UK game because of all the mismatches they were setting up. Also, if they have the ball and don't give it away much, it means they are scoring and the opposition isn't. It's like possession tactics in sawker. In my mind, Wisconsin does the half-court game the right way and it's a joy to watch. Maybe if I'm watching all of their regular season games, it may get a bit more tedious, but I'm not.

Wisconsin is not one of these teams that holds the ball and then starts to run their offense with ten seconds. They are methodical but it's an appealing brand. Good passing, quality shots.  I don't see an issue.  More than half the country doesn't run a real offense. They do.

Pace is a misleading stat in this case because Wisconsin plays perhaps the most conservative defense in the country. If you only account for half court possessions, their offense would look much better for some metrics.

Personally, I think saying you think Wisconsin plays boring basketball is like when people the past three years still said the Spurs were a boring defense first team. It's just not that true any more and Bo Ryan should get a bunch of credit for changing his style depending on his players.