DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I don't know, is an arrogant rich guy who gets away with things mainly because he's rich really that interesting?

He does seem to see himself as a criminal genius when he clearly isn't, though, I'll give you that. Maybe that's an interesting aspect of the character.

It's like, dude, you're not Machiavellian. It just happens you have money and most of the cops and jury members aren't terribly bright.

Durst sorta comes off as the anti-Adnan, interestingly enough. I think they're both murderers, but Adnan at least has the charm, social skills and charisma to win people over. And there is still a fair amount of humanity there, or at least enough that he can fake it sufficiently.

Durst has none of that and mostly just comes off as entitled and spoiled and someone who can't even put much effort into maintaining some sort of mask.

Also, the twist with the letter was amazing. That was like something out of a movie.

Bad spelling can lead to your doom, folks.  

Anyone know if this Bloodline series on netflix is worth watching?

Well it's got Linda Cardellini in it, so it's at least worth a chance.

it has Coach Taylor. I'll definitely be watching it this week.

Oz from Season 1 up until Adebisi dies is one of my favorite series ever.

BTW, has anybody watched Dean's new show on CBS? It's a procedural, but it has to be entertaining with Dean involved.

I actually just did a rewatch of Oz last month and you're right. The show noticeably falls off a cliff after Adebisi's death.

Man, I must be weird because I loved 30 Rock but couldn't make it past episode 2 of Kimmy Schmidt. My two least favorite parts of 30 Rock were yokel Kenneth and Jenna...and this show seems like it's basically built around a female Kenneth while the Jenna actress plays a variation on the same character. Maybe it finds its footing as it goes along but after watching the first couple, my reaction actually was, "Whelp, I totally get why NBC passed on this thing."

It does take a few episodes to find its footing. The middle episodes are really strong, then it kinda takes a weird (but I suppose, necessary) detour that, while still funny, isn't quite as good as the middle and plays more like PARKS & REC LITE than it's own unique thing.

Really, it's impossible to watch anything set in Durnsville and not think of Pawnee.

I think season 2 will be tremendous now that they've figured out what works about the show and they've closed the door (hopefully) on Durnsville.

Watching one of the later, lesser 1990s ABC COLUMBOs and who shows up playing the wife of Rip Torn?

BETSY "Pamela Vorhees" PALMER!!!  YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! marked the fuck out.

I know she's been in tons of stuff, but I don't think I've actually bumped into her in anything other than F13.  She was magnificent doing a southern drawl and swooning around spending Rip Torn's murder money.

I love the Trailer Park Boys.

Would love to see Ellen Page return to that show.

I'd also like to see Doug Benson and Snoop Lion appear in the park.

The Boys have appeared with both and have great chemistry with them.

Season 9 to Netflix on the 27th and Season 10 starts shooting in May.

Over the last, I've been binging on a pretty great show on Netflix:

The Fall - Agent Scully plays Stella Gibson, a tough, cool high-ranking detective with a penchant for one-night stands, who has been placed in charge of a case review (and later task force) investigating what turns into a serial killer. Fifty Shades of Grey guy is Paul Spector - the serial killer. This is a Netflix original series produced in cooperation with the BBC and takes place in Belfast. The entire show is very dark, often disturbing, understated, and very compelling. Spector is charismatic, able to charm women into doing whatever he wants. His 15-year old babysitter practically throws herself at him, is real close to figuring out he's the killer and he is able to draw her onto his side by NOT seducing her. His wife lies for him. Etc. Meanwhile, Gibson is inquisitive, probing, dedicated but realistic. The show obviously revolves almost entirely around the search for Spector but there are other stories going on as well. This is good stuff - really creepy, well-acted, and dark. There's only a handful of episodes on Netflix (11 total covering the only two seasons made so far) but they're really good. Check it out - 8/10.

Its funny to see it called a netflix show made in cooperation with the bbc, since it aired first on the bbc last year.

It has "Netflix Original" splashed all over it. If it's actually a BBC show that Netflix just picked up, blame them for lying to me :)

The Fall started out great but I feel it lost something towards the end. Spector's not really as interesting as he thinks he is and is more than a bit pretentious.

Also, I get she's meant to be liberated and all, but I think Stella would have found herself charged with sexual harassment at some point.

Probably for the best the US remake never came to fruition. Don't think the format could cope at all with 22 or even 13 episode seasons. 

Its funny to see it called a netflix show made in cooperation with the bbc, since it aired first on the bbc last year.

It has "Netflix Original" splashed all over it. If it's actually a BBC show that Netflix just picked up, blame them for lying to me :)

That's exactly what it is.  Netflix is essentially just acquiring the US (and other markets) syndication rights.  They have nothing to do with the funding or production of the show.  It's basically the same thing the SyFy network does with their "SyFy Originals".  A lot of the shows are produced for SyFy and have their first run on SyFy Network.  The rest of the shows - Bitten, Lost Girl, Continuum, etc. - are produced for Canadian networks (specifically Space) and air first in Canada.  SyFy then picks up the US rights and re-airs the shows as "originals"

(Note: Taking your marketing cues from SyFy is probably a sure way to fail).

I thought "The Fall" got tiresome pretty quickly for the reasons already mentioned.  It's clever, but nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.

Watching "We Could Be King" on Netflix. It's a documentary about the merger of Germantown and MLK highs in Philly in the wake of the insane budget cuts we dealt with here not too long ago. Their football team really came together and the documentary is about that. I live just a little bit from these high schools. My college is sort of in the no-man's land between them. I also lived in Germantown for a while and volunteered at a homeless shelter right next to the hold high school. It's really crazy seeing local scenery in a ridiculously well-done documentary. People thought that high school was going to become a bloodbath. The schools were athletic rivals. But there's also all sorts of city nonsense -- neighborhood beefs, drug corners, etc. -- on top of it that it looked like a nightmare. But it didn't really become as crazy as everyone assumed, and the football team is a huge reason why.

Great stuff. I might be partial since I live right by here but it's so well done. A+.

Anyone know if this Bloodline series on netflix is worth watching?

Well it's got Linda Cardellini in it, so it's at least worth a chance.

it has Coach Taylor. I'll definitely be watching it this week.

Well I'm halfway through it so far and it's kept my interest, though at this point it's probably more of wanting to see what the resolution is more than anything else.  Saying the plot is a slow burn is an understatement, each episode has bookends hinting at some big event that's going to happen, but so far everything leading up to whatever the denouement is has been very slow or not lead to any massive payoff.  Part of that is probably the trend of drama/crime series being super ultra gritty with some incredibly fucked up plot points that the "bad stuff" that's happened in this show coming off as kind of minor in comparison.  Even though the show hasn't been all that original so far, it's definitely a case of the cast and performances being a lot stronger than the unremarkable storyline.  I don't see anyone winning an award or anything, but all the principal members have been really impressive in their roles and the cinematography has been on point - nothing about the characters seems over the top or unbelievable.  I should finish the rest of it tonight and I'll give a final verdict then. 

THE X-FILES is officially returning for a 6-episode run. Filming starts this summer. Very exciting.

Although, for my money, I'd prefer if they did 6 stand-alone episodes, rather than a big mythology arc.

The thing that would really put this over-the-top, though, is if they can get guys like Vince Gilligan, Darin Morgan, and John Shiban back to write an episode each.

Unfortunately, Carter doesn't think there's a problem with how the mythology ended up.

From an interview that Alan Sepinwall just published today:

I've had this conversation with Vince, with Frank, with Howard, and they all tell slightly different versions of the same story about "The X-Files" mythology. Which is, "Chris genuinely, at the beginning, he had a plan, he knew, and then the show was too successful, it ran too long, and eventually it folded in on itself." Is that how you would assess it?

Chris Carter: No. I think some of the best work was done in seasons 6, 7, 8 and 9. I would point to those seasons, and there are episodes in those seasons that I think are among the best.

I'm not talking about the quality. I'm talking specifically about the mythology of the show.

Chris Carter: When you set out to do a show, you don't imagine it's going to go nine years. And all of a sudden, you have to start looking at it in new ways. The mythology was complex, and I think complexity equals, in people's minds, confusing. I don't accept, necessarily, this idea that it folded in on itself. I think if you go back and watch it from beginning to end — I've actually talked to people who have done that recently, and they say, "It all holds up. It works together." Whether you like where it went after season 5, you can cavil with me there. But I think all of the choices were still lovingly made, and I would back every one of them.