DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Eh, it sounds more original than most stuff on CBS, which is a bit depressing but still. And it can't be any worse than the last Rush Hour film. Really it can't.

Oh, and this upcoming CW pilot is the most CW thing ever.

CHEERLEADER DEATH SQUAD (Drama)

WRITERS: Marc Cherry, Neal Baer, Dan Truly

CAST: Alan Van Sprang (Reign), Gia Mantegna (The Middle), Aylin Bayramoglu (The Glee Project)

When a disgraced CIA agent-turned-teacher at an elite Washington D.C. prep school realizes that his students have high-level access through personal connections, he trains a select few to be his eyes and ears into the world of international espionage and help him earn his way back into the agency.

A Minority Report show is also being planned at Fox and NBC have a "Wesley Snipes is a former military guy who kicks ass" pilot in the pipeline, which I would probably watch.

Considering how much we made fun of Jane the Virgin and how that turned out to be, I'm not judging a CW show until I see it.  We'll start ripping it, and it'll end up being the best thing on TV.

Unbreakablee Kimmy Schmidt is ridiculously fun. I get the feeling that Tina Fey had some say in the casting because there are plenty of 30 Rock extras and SNL cameos, hell Tituss Burgess is gold and I remembered him playing D'Fwan on 30 Rock. Its just a really fun show and I'm already waiting for season 2 (yeah I marathoned the damn thing)

James

• Like 1

Just in time for the finale of THE JINX, Robert Durst has been arrested in New Orleans on a warrant for murder in Los Angeles.

I heard about this show. It sounds like an interesting story and I might check it out, but I don't see how it's some Serial-style murder mystery.

He did it, obviously.

I guess the story is meant to be how money can help you get away with anything?

Just in time for the finale of THE JINX, Robert Durst has been arrested in New Orleans on a warrant for murder in Los Angeles.

I heard about this show. It sounds like an interesting story and I might check it out, but I don't see how it's some Serial-style murder mystery.

He did it, obviously.

You're not going to have much faith in the criminal or judicial system after watching all six episodes. At least now there's a chance that the families of both women can get some closure for what happened.

Edit: Perhaps not. There's already debate on the timeline, the true intentions of Andrew Jarecki and how a lawyer can get around the audio of his "confession/admission of guilt". Unfortunately there's plenty of lawyers who will defend him without a bit of remorse and sleep soundly at night on a pile of Durst's money.

http://morningafter.gawker.com/what-happened-between-robert-dursts-confession-and-his-1691626885/+richjuz

I remember that rich kid in Texas who went drunk-driving, crashed his car, killed four people and turned his friend into a vegetable.

The judge let him off with no prison time whatsoever and six months at a fancy rehab place (they did yoga and pottery-making!) essentially because he had so much money he was too spoiled to know the difference between right and wrong.

I will check out the show because it sounds interesting, but it's not really telling anyone anything they didn't already know, by the sounds of it.

Although this seems particularly egregious since Durst might actually be a serial killer if he actually has been linked with more deaths than just the three he's accused of.

All caught up with American Crime.  This show is kicking my ass. Soooo awesome and heartbreaking. 

The total dysfunction in the relationship between Timothy Hutton and Felicity Huffman is so great because I have seen shit like that go down in real life.

Failed marriage, not knowing that your kid has turned out bad,  all too real and hard hitting.

II thought it was interesting that Huffman and Hutton  didn't speak to each other except when cameras were rolling and they had a scene together.  Apparently, to get down the sense of estrangement and awkwardness, they wouldn't even interact with each other on set.  It seems to be working, because there characters seem really uncomfortable around each other (with a fair bit of bitterness mixed in).

After reading that Durst admitted to dismembering his roommate and ditching the pieces of his body I don't think there's any doubt in my mind what he is.

And the jury let him off after that.

It wouldn't shock me if some of them showed up with new sports cars or bought a fancy yacht after that one.

He did it, obviously.

The Jinx is less about whether Durst did it or not (although that element is there), and more about the man himself and how he's avoided conviction. It's definitely different from Serial's style.

Edited by _MJ_

Watching the last Jinx episode.

Oh my God. That juror.

He may also have served on the OJ and Casey Anthony cases, I'm not sure.

He's just always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bad luck is all! Who among us hasn't coincidentally been around during multiple grisly murders?

I caught the end of The Jinx a minute ago and wow, what a great ending. Him stumbling through the interview, talking to himself in the bathroom, then the fade to black to let his final comments sink in... woof. I'm actively interested in where this is going from now on.

Watching the last Jinx episode.

Oh my God. That juror.

He may also have served on the OJ and Casey Anthony cases, I'm not sure.

He's just always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bad luck is all! Who among us hasn't coincidentally been around during multiple grisly murders?

I remember in the aftermath of the Casey Anthony a lot of talk was about how high-priced defense lawyers will specifically pick jury members who don't follow the news or read much or have any interest in, well, anything really, outside of that night's TV.

Which overwhelmingly means you get ignorant people.

Phil Spector's first trial was hung basically because one jury member didn't understand the concept of "reasonable doubt" and thought if was there wasn't actual video footage of someone committing the crime, they had to let the defendant go. (By the thinking Ted Bundy would go free too.)

There was another famous story about a jury member who asked someone, when the jury were sent away to deliberate, what they were supposed to do since no one had confessed on the stand like she'd seen in episodes of Perry Mason.

Veronica Mars fans might want to take note of this 

DC Comics strikes again. 

IZombie_-1_cover.jpg

The surrender of the silver screen in order to take over television completely is paying huge dividends.

Anybody watching American Crime? I saw a ton of ads for it while catching up on Revenge, and a big fan of Felicity Huffman, so decided to give it a shot. Two episodes in, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It's hardly the OMG, IT'S SO INTENSE AND EDGY thriller that ABC pitched it as - at least not yet. So far, it's a multi-layered crime drama where nothing is really fleshed out yet. We get that Felicity and ex-hubby (Timothy Hutton) are divorced and don't like each other. We get that their son was murdered and his wife attacked. Beyond that? Oh yeah, Felicity is a little bit racist and has a problem with "illegals" and "those people". But not really enough has been revealed about anything else to even decide if the show is good. It has a bit of an awkward style, with audio that's time-shifted in comparison to the action on-screen and also editing that cuts out a couple seconds of stuff at a time. Very obviously trying for "edgy" and "dramatic". Anyway, jury's still out for me but I'm going to keep watching for now.

Sad pretty alienated girl. Angst.  Sarcasm. cheesy stunts. nerdy but sympathetic platonic friend.  Mysterious platinum blonde guy in a long coat offering a hand toward the dark side.  Episodic plots that will gradually reveal a more serialized mythology.

I sense something...a presence I haven't felt since...

• Like 1