DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Dauber (as in Mud Dauber, a bee, as in how he got the nickname, not Dobber) wouldn't even be able to find the fucking burial site and the nursing home probably wouldn't let Luther off the grounds. Coach Fox would then tell the same bullshit story about losing to Notre Dame again and by that point, Coach Taylor would have rounded up some shit kickers from the Pemberton Pioneers to take out Coach Fox while chanting "CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE!"

Yeah motherfuckers, I know some Coach. I know some Coach real well.

According to an early description, the updated "Coach" (which is being called a "continuation" or "sequel") will see Hayden Fox come out of retirement to serve as an assistant coach for his son (the one Hayden and Christine adopted near the end of the show's original run -- the final episode mentioned that the child "grew up to be just like Hayden") , who is helming an "Ivy League-like school" in Pennsylvania that's launching a college football program. 

I can definitely see the silliness of the original show coming back -- especially the Foxes dealing with "jocks" who are academically focused and are more concerned about term papers and research projects than enjoying college.  I can also see Hayden clashing with his son's wife and have goofy moments with a grandkid or two.  I could also see them dealing with issues affecting football today, like concussions and off-the-field behavior.

At this point, only Craig T. Nelson is confirmed for the show.  Fabares hasn't acted in over a decade and has had her share of health issues in recent years (including a liver transplant).  You could have Christine staying put at their Florida home while Hayden goes north -- she could pay a visit on one episode or appear for Skype chats with Hayden and the family.  Jerry Van Dyke is semi-retired, but should be game for a guest spot.  I can see Bill Fagerbaake return full-time as Dauber.

JD

According to an early description, the updated "Coach" (which is being called a "continuation" or "sequel") will see Hayden Fox come out of retirement to serve as an assistant coach for his son (the one Hayden and Christine adopted near the end of the show's original run -- the final episode mentioned that the child "grew up to be just like Hayden") , who is helming an "Ivy League-like school" in Pennsylvania that's launching a college football program. 

I can definitely see the silliness of the original show coming back -- especially the Foxes dealing with "jocks" who are academically focused and are more concerned about term papers and research projects than enjoying college.  I can also see Hayden clashing with his son's wife and have goofy moments with a grandkid or two.  I could also see them dealing with issues affecting football today, like concussions and off-the-field behavior.

At this point, only Craig T. Nelson is confirmed for the show.  Fabares hasn't acted in over a decade and has had her share of health issues in recent years (including a liver transplant).  You could have Christine staying put at their Florida home while Hayden goes north -- she could pay a visit on one episode or appear for Skype chats with Hayden and the family.  Jerry Van Dyke is semi-retired, but should be game for a guest spot.  I can see Bill Fagerbaake return full-time as Dauber.

JD

Isnt "an ivy league like school in PA" where mrs coach got hired as dean of admissions?

• Like 1

So Helix is.... batshit crazy this year.  Not sure it's really good.  In fact, I kinda think it's not really that good a show.  There's a decent serious drama in there somewhere, but the producers apparently think "24 with infectious diseases" is the way to go. Unfortunately, they seem to be aping the more annoying characteristics of 24.  The wacky plot twists, the overstuffed plotting, constant red herrings, multiple red herrings.  Did I mention we've had three big bads just in the last four eps.

Not exactly loving the show, but I am tuning in each week.

BTW, does anyone understand how anyone is still alive on this island?  First, Steven Weber's character "Jim Jones" his cult, which should have wiped them out, but seems to have left an awful lot of them around for no obvious reason.  Then, the military gassed the island with a gas "that kills everything it touches" as a way to contain the outbreak, but the way to survive the gas was apparently to go inside and shut the (non airtight) door.  Why would you use a gas that can be thwarted by a screen door?

Helix this season is so terrible. The first half of season one before it completely flew off the rails and went insane was great. This season is just an extension of the 2nd half of last season but worse. It reminds me alot of American Horror Story where it seems like halfway through each season the show turns a corner and just gets absolutely insane and godawful.

The new show Breaking Borders on the Travel Channel is really good. It's got that Brasilian (or Portuguese, one) journalist lady from the Vanguard documentary series and her chef friend making meals for people on differing sides of international conflicts to get them to break bread with each other and discuss their issues. Last night they went to Egypt and almost got arrested twice just for trying to film graffiti. It was pretty scary and totally Orwellian. Knowing things are worse currently than they were under Mubarak was chilling. The other one I watched was in Belfast with a Republican and a Monarchist sitting down with a neutral reporter from back in the Troubles. I knew about all the murals but had no idea about some of the stuff like the giant wall and the burning in effigy of the a mockup of the Irish flag, which just seems like a massive yearly provocation along with the Protestants marching through mixed neighborhoods. 

Also, China, IL last night on Adult Swim was hilarious. The best part was Babycakes freaking out, running down the neighborhood trying to jerk off trees and lightpoles and shit because he didn't know how to masturbate. 

Being sick for a week and having no energy to do anything leaves a lot of time to watch stuff on Netflix:

Bloodline - Coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) is John Rayburn, the #1 (but not oldest) son of the Rayburn clan. Linda "Good God, I was annoying on ER" Cardellini is Meg, his sister. They have two brothers, Danny and Kevin. The show is set in south Florida, with the Rayburns being the wealthy owners of some kind of resort hotel down there. On the surface, they're the All-American family. But things are not quite what they seem. "We're not bad people. We just did a bad thing", John says. And the show spends just about all of the 13 episodes of season 1 getting around to that bad thing. This is a reaaaaaaaaaaallllly slooooooooow burn of a show. Lots and lots and lots of build. Lots of hint at past issues in the family that are sloooooowly revealed. Lots of meaningful glances, sentences with double meanings and so on. That's mixed with a sometimes confusing structure that mixes dreams, flashbacks, looks forward, and so on in a way that sometimes isn't real clear. And all of that adds up to a show that might just lose a lot of its audience along the way. The pacing is pretty glacial but it does pay off eventually (you can argue whether that payoff is worth it or not). The cast, which also includes Sissy Spacek as the Rayburn mom, is stellar. I was entertained but this isn't quite the home run I'd hoped for. And the big reveal at the end of season 1 to set up season 2 was pretty laughably obvious, which was a letdown. Still, I liked it and I want another season. 7/10.

Houdini - Man, what a mess this was. I can't even imagine the discussions that went into writing this. "OK guys, we're gonna do a mini-series on Harry Houdini, one of the most amazing and fascinating characters of the early 20th century. He lived an incredible life, was world famous, STILL is world famous, and did all kinds of remarkable stuff. But forget all that. LET'S JUST MAKE STUFF UP INSTEAD!" Good grief. Adrien Brody is Harry Houdini, the world-renowned magician and escape artist of the early 20th century. And he does a tremendous job of looking the part. He is in incredible shape - kudos to him. But...man. They mangle just about every detail of his life, altering stuff for no apparent reason (having Houdini jump off a bridge into icy water for his famous escape instead of being inside a crate as actually happened), or just making stuff up (putting Houdini into an affair he never had, making his wife a pothead, and so on). I suppose it's appropriate this was done by The History Channel - they long ago abandoned their dedication to actual history and truth, so this fits right in. What a joke. 3/10.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - I like Ellie Kemper. She was great on The Office. I like the premise - woman from a cult unleashed on NYC after thinking the world had ended. I wanted to like the show but...man, I couldn't even make it through one full episode. This was just so unbelievably bad. Really easy to see why NBC passed on it. I won't give this a rating because I didn't watch enough of it - but what I saw was terrible.