DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

We watched about 12 minutes of the first episode of Kimmy Schmidt, decided it was pretty damn stupid and not all that funny and shut it off to watch an old episode of Carol Burnett on MeTV instead.

I adored the first 2-3 minutes with them freeing the girls from the shelter, but it lost me pretty quickly after that.  Tina Fey's comedy is just not my thing, I guess.

On a completely unrelated note, is anybody watching 'The Jinx' on HBO.  It's a series of interviews with Robert Durst, the NYC real estate heir millionaire who most likely murdered several people over the years, got away with them all, and then decided to an interview with filmmaker Andrew Jarecki who made the film 'All Good Things' which is the Durst case with the names changed.  It's completely engrossing stuff.  I just got to the end of Episode 4 and

The part where Durst basically brags that he didn't tell "the whole truth" on the stand, how is lawyers instructed him to leave stuff out that made him look bad and Jarecki asks him what stuff he left out, and Durst says that he can't think of anything specific and they take a break and Durst, thinking the camera and mics are off starts quietly repeating to himself "I did not purposefully or intentionally lie" and is basically rehearsing his responses until his lawyer comes steaming in and goes "Your mic is on and everyone can hear what you say!" is my favourite TV moment in SO long.

• Like 1

I really don't like 30 Rock, but I love just about anything else that's silly and irreverent. For whatever reason, I could not get into 30 Rock at all.

Me neither and I tried. I just found it grating.

Loved Kimmy Schmitt, though. Loved, loved, loved.

http://www.cracked.com/article_22214_6-insane-easter-eggs-that-totally-change-famous-tv-shows_p2.html?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crackedtwitter

These are all good, but my favorite, and one that's not on there, is "Cooper looking like an old man in the Red Room" in the third episode of Twin Peaks. Poor guy was doomed from the start. And the whole "25 years" thing in general.

That's some long term planning, right there.

Entourage's 5th season was legit good as far as I remember, after that it was complete drek sprinkled with the occasional funny gif from Fat Spanish Waiter.

Is season 5 the Vince on drugs season? Because that was so weird. 

I thought it was good, but not what a fan would want to see.

Nah. Drugs is the 6th and the lame recovery/everything is alright is the 7th season.

Those took a lot of strong will to get through.

I liked the drugs season until they wimped out the next season.

We watched about 12 minutes of the first episode of Kimmy Schmidt, decided it was pretty damn stupid and not all that funny and shut it off to watch an old episode of Carol Burnett on MeTV instead.

I adored the first 2-3 minutes with them freeing the girls from the shelter, but it lost me pretty quickly after that.  Tina Fey's comedy is just not my thing, I guess.

On a completely unrelated note, is anybody watching 'The Jinx' on HBO.  It's a series of interviews with Robert Durst, the NYC real estate heir millionaire who most likely murdered several people over the years, got away with them all, and then decided to an interview with filmmaker Andrew Jarecki who made the film 'All Good Things' which is the Durst case with the names changed.  It's completely engrossing stuff.  I just got to the end of Episode 4 and

The part where Durst basically brags that he didn't tell "the whole truth" on the stand, how is lawyers instructed him to leave stuff out that made him look bad and Jarecki asks him what stuff he left out, and Durst says that he can't think of anything specific and they take a break and Durst, thinking the camera and mics are off starts quietly repeating to himself "I did not purposefully or intentionally lie" and is basically rehearsing his responses until his lawyer comes steaming in and goes "Your mic is on and everyone can hear what you say!" is my favourite TV moment in SO long.

Can't wait to finish Episode 5 tonight! Completely engrossing and I'm not really drawn to true crime shows.

And yes, that moment is just unreal after what they show you up to that point.

• Like 1

Broad City was a riot last night. Ilana fell in love with Alia Shawkat from Arrested Development fame because they looked identical (can you blame her?) and Abbi went on a search to give a jacket back to Kelly Ripa, of all people, with debauchery ensuing. Fuck Girls, if I'm going to watch a show about self-absorbed Brooklyn hipster women it's gonna be this. Also funny how talkative Abbi was and how subdued Ilana was on The Daily Show, I thought their personalities in real life would be the opposite. 

• Like 1

I've now watched 4 episodes.  I can't really decide on it.  I liked half of the first episode, but cooled on it when she got to NYC.  I liked some of the second episode.  I liked some of the third episode and really liked a couple parts (Mainly the parts with Jacqueline's Native American father: "I hate it here, too much litter, makes me cry.") but I thought the fourth episode was listless and almost laugh-free.  I mean, a send-up of the plastic surgery industry?!  It feels remarkably dated.

Can't wait to finish Episode 5 tonight! Completely engrossing and I'm not really drawn to true crime shows.

And yes, that moment is just unreal after what they show you up to that point.

Episode 5 was nearly as good with the big reveal

Of the letter that Durst wrote that matches the anonymous letter detailing the whereabouts of Susan Berman.  I also read that since that episode, they are re-opening the Berman murder case based off this evidence!

• Like 1

They absolutely should. I'm looking forward to the face to face with him. Everytime he seems uncomfortable talking about something he blinks his left eye pretty hard. He should have a full blown astigmatism after that. 

Edit:

LMAO! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this:

http://morningafter.gawker.com/robert-durst-blinks-every-goddamn-time-he-tells-a-lie-1691283820/+richjuz

lcvfnkn7sgv9fqjptw33.gif

I enjoyed Kimmy Schmidt, although I think the show is better when it was focused on Kimmy and adjusting to New York and life. I really liked the first six or so episodes, but I felt the later ones were essentially written just to fit guest stars in. I guess some people might hate spoilers, so I won't name names or anything, but there is a scene when one of the guest stars starts to play American Pie on an acoustic guitar while everyone applauds, and I thought it worked as an unintentional metaphor for the direction the show had gone. I don't want to just sit around and applaud an appearance because someone was funny or charming on another show, I want to laugh because Kimmy Schmidt is a funny show in it's own right. I hope the second season relies less heavily on this.

Broad City was a riot last night. Ilana fell in love with Alia Shawkat from Arrested Development fame because they looked identical (can you blame her?) and Abbi went on a search to give a jacket back to Kelly Ripa, of all people, with debauchery ensuing. Fuck Girls, if I'm going to watch a show about self-absorbed Brooklyn hipster women it's gonna be this. Also funny how talkative Abbi was and how subdued Ilana was on The Daily Show, I thought their personalities in real life would be the opposite. 

That show this season is hitting every single one of my laugh buttons. Broad City, Kimmie Schmidt and Last Man On Earth make me really happy.

Eh, it sounds more original than most stuff on CBS, which is a bit depressing but still. And it can't be any worse than the last Rush Hour film. Really it can't.

Oh, and this upcoming CW pilot is the most CW thing ever.

CHEERLEADER DEATH SQUAD (Drama)
WRITERS: Marc Cherry, Neal Baer, Dan Truly
CAST: Alan Van Sprang (Reign), Gia Mantegna (The Middle), Aylin Bayramoglu (The Glee Project)
When a disgraced CIA agent-turned-teacher at an elite Washington D.C. prep school realizes that his students have high-level access through personal connections, he trains a select few to be his eyes and ears into the world of international espionage and help him earn his way back into the agency.

A Minority Report show is also being planned at Fox and NBC have a "Wesley Snipes is a former military guy who kicks ass" pilot in the pipeline, which I would probably watch.