DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow last night. Not much to say other than it was a fun ass movie.

EDIT: Watched Divergent today and it was just dreadful.  Everything felt so weightless and boring.  Kate Winslet is too good for this series.

Killer Joe (Friedkin, 2011). This film is fucking nasty, man. McConaughey bringing the sleazy bastard, but with real charisma... the movie is cast and acted to make his character seem vastly more important and significant than anyone else, and everyone defers to him. So it's like he becomes the hero of the movie, even though his character is a dirty cop, contract killer, perverted probable rapist. So basically it's a movie with a black hole where the moral centre should be, which it more or less gives away itselfin the first three minutes. With a close up shot of Gina Gershon's naked bush, as she opens the door to her step-son minus panties. And when he says she shouldn't do that, she says she didn't know who he was, as if that's a reasonable explanation.

Also, it's violent.

Watched A Million Ways to Die in the West last night. Not as terrible as I'd been led to believe, but it has some serious lulls and needed about 30 minutes chopped off of the run time. Charlize Theron is the MVP here because she's so damn likable. They do a shit joke with Neil Patrick Harris that starts out unpromisingly but ends up being the funniest thing in the movie because of his interaction with an extra. It's the epitome of a, "watch it if it's on until you lose interest," movie.

Watched A Million Ways to Die in the West last night. Not as terrible as I'd been led to believe, but it has some serious lulls and needed about 30 minutes chopped off of the run time. Charlize Theron is the MVP here because she's so damn likable. They do a shit joke with Neil Patrick Harris that starts out unpromisingly but ends up being the funniest thing in the movie because of his interaction with an extra. It's the epitome of a, "watch it if it's on until you lose interest," movie.

It would have been A TON better if Mcfarlane hadn't acted in it.  Might have been better as a straight western as well. . . .

Just watched this at the theater. It's somewhere between Four Rooms, Pulp Fiction, and Tales From The Crypt (the Amicus version). If you don't watch it you're seriously missing out. 

I love horror anthologies so I will check this out.

This one has been in my Netflix queue for awhile:

From the Rough - I'm a sucker for "based on a true story" sports movies. Love 'em. This one tells the story of Catana Starks, the first black woman to be the head coach of a men's college golf team. Starks was the head coach at Tennessee State University. And in those last two sentences I have captured literally everything the movie gets factually correct about this story - Starks's name, her school, and her historical significance. It gets EVERYTHING ELSE COMPLETELY WRONG. I don't know that I've ever seen a "based on a true story" sports movie miss so many other details before. They shift the time from 1980 to present day. They change ALL the people. They make up schools. They Starks getting static for "failing" after ONE WEEK ON THE JOB. They have TSU winning a national title in their first season. And you know what? None of that would matter if the movie itself were any good. It's not. It's terrible. The golfers are a mishmash of stereotypes and caricatures. The storylines are cliched to the max. The dialogue is just awful and was clearly written by somebody who knew nothing about golf ("when I'm a golf player" being one egregiously bad example). The acting is terrible. The golf scenes are terrible - in one, a guy strikes his putt and it's clearly at least a foot to the right of his line and then they cut to the ball rolling straight in. Ugh. So, yeah, this sucked. 1/10.

Wild Tales isn't necessarily a horror anthology... in a literal sense it is I guess, in that a lot of horrifying things end up happening to people, but it's not a genre piece. Another film it reminds me of is Amores Perros which is one of the highest compliments I could give it. It's going down as one of the best films of the year for sure. Ebertfest already threw it on their bill here in Champaign. 

There's a segment in the film that, after the Germanwings mass homicide, will leave you with your jaw on the floor. Too eerie in comparison for words.

Oh! And there's another one that nails a certain segment from Creepshow 2 to a tee. You can probably guess which from the trailer.