DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Saw KINGSMAN yesterday. Matthew Vaughn has a superpower for turning Mark Millar's shitty comics into tremendously entertaining movies.

Their working relationship fascinates me. Millar is, like, the first author in history to seemingly be thrilled when a director junks 75% of their story and basically makes the movie something completely different with the same title/general premise.

Saw KINGSMAN yesterday. Matthew Vaughn has a superpower for turning Mark Millar's shitty comics into tremendously entertaining movies.

Their working relationship fascinates me. Millar is, like, the first author in history to seemingly be thrilled when a director junks 75% of their story and basically makes the movie something completely different with the same title/general premise.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who does it for the art.

I watched Under The Skin last night. Great soundtrack, horrible and pretentious everything else.

I take umbrage at this, if for no other reason than the soundtrack is just as pretentious as anything else in the movie.

I loved it, though.  I thought it was a great movie with 2-3 scenes that are just nightmare fuel 

The guy imploding in the goo, the beach scene, and the closing moments

Visually, I don't think there's another movie that comes close to this one.  It's just this unbelievable exercise in unending DREAD.  Every single scene feels like something bad is just about to happen (And usually does!).  Which is funny, because as I was watching it I wasn't really sure I was into it.  Then, a couple hours later, I found myself reading up on the movie, listening to the soundtrack, and realized I was totally into it and had really liked it after all.  It just took me a while to realize it.

And, again, that beach scene.  Good God, that was tense and horrible and upsetting.

Scarlett seducing the Czech surfer, who immediately dives into the water to try to save the man who is trying to save his wife, who is trying to save their dog.  So he struggles back ashore with the man, unable to save the woman or dog, and the husband goes right back into the water and disappears from view, like his wife and their dog.  All the while the baby on the shore is crying.  Scarlett walks up and BASHES the samaritan surfer in the head and drags him away, but you keep waiting for her to help the baby...and she doesn't.  It's just something that doesn't even register on her radar screen as being worthy of her attention.  Then the clean-up guy shows up, and the baby is not bawling and right down by the water and you think/hope that he'll help the baby, and he walks right by it, totally ignoring it.  Later, you hear on the radio that the whole family is missing and presumed drowned and it's so UPSETTING.  One of the most disturbing scenes I've seen on an emotional level.

I finally got around to watching John Wick last night.  Just a really well-made, simple revenge movie.  Hey, Kevin Nash had a bit part.  How did I not hear about that?

John Wick is fucking great.

Focus was a movie.  Not horrible but not great either.  Too twisty for its own good.  Chemistry between Smith and Robbie could tear matter into basic elements.  It is legit.

I think I would've been more impressed with this if it were Will's second or third movie.   By this stage in his career, I expect a lot more from him.

I haven't seen it, but I would consider Focus a reboot for Smith's career.  If he can build himself back up near his peak (it's not possible to be as nuclear hot as he once was), then this movie will be good for him.

And I said it before--if Jada had issues with Will working with Margot Robbie, I would 100% understand.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS...

Whiplash: About 5 minutes in, I turn to my girlfriend and say, "I'm going to love this." My God. What a fucking spectacle. J. K. Simmons BRRRRRINGS IT. And I saw the double cross coming, I think everyone could see that coming, but I liked the kid nutting up and taking ownership of the performance. The movie was over and sure enough, I loved it...

...then came the next day where I was just kind of stewing over what I watched. It's a really fucked up movie. Simmons is a colossal piece of shit. Just a horrible person who drives one former student to do something awful and here he is doing it to another student. Simmons should get his comeuppance and instead, he gets what he wanted, when that kid fulfills his potential if just for one night. Simmons is then justified in his horrific behavior. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Nightcrawler: And then I watched the same exact fucking scenario play out, except with Nightcrawler, you figure he's going to get caught at some point. Movie was alright, but Jake was creepy as hell.

Begin Again: This was...ok...Like, it's about as textbook of a movie as you're going to see. There's nothing special about this, everyone does an OK enough job, and if you and your special lady/guy are looking for something to watch together, then this will suffice.

I haven't seen it, but I would consider Focus a reboot for Smith's career. If he can build himself back up near his peak (it's not possible to be as nuclear hot as he once was), then this movie will be good for him.

And I said it before--if Jada had issues with Will working with Margot Robbie, I would 100% understand.

At least she's clothed in this film.

Which might be why I haven't gone to see it, but...

Whiplash: About 5 minutes in, I turn to my girlfriend and say, "I'm going to love this." My God. What a fucking spectacle. J. K. Simmons BRRRRRINGS IT. And I saw the double cross coming, I think everyone could see that coming, but I liked the kid nutting up and taking ownership of the performance. The movie was over and sure enough, I loved it...

...then came the next day where I was just kind of stewing over what I watched. It's a really fucked up movie. Simmons is a colossal piece of shit. Just a horrible person who drives one former student to do something awful and here he is doing it to another student. Simmons should get his comeuppance and instead, he gets what he wanted, when that kid fulfills his potential if just for one night. Simmons is then justified in his horrific behavior. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

The movie ends on a high note, and it looks like a happy ending, but it's not.  Paul Reiser's expression as he's watching the whole thing unfold is a big indicator of that.

There's an interview with the writer/director where he's asked what he thinks happens after the last scene.  He says that he thinks the kid probably burns out and dies in his thirties.

Focus opened with just under $20m for the weekend, a number that has to be disappointing, despite the movie being #1. I definitely want to see it myself but not sure I'll pay full price to do so.

The movie ends on a high note, and it looks like a happy ending, but it's not.  Paul Reiser's expression as he's watching the whole thing unfold is a big indicator of that.

There's an interview with the writer/director where he's asked what he thinks happens after the last scene.  He says that he thinks the kid probably burns out and dies in his thirties.

That's what I had in mind and it's why the end didn't sit well with me. That is really dark. 

Hit the theater yesterday and saw...

McFarland, USA - Kevin Costner is Jim White, the cross country coach at McFarland High School, an almost entirely Latino high school in a very poor agricultural area of California. White takes his rag tag band of kids, who work in the fields before school and after practice, and transforms them into a real team. This movie is based on a true story* and is made by Disney, so you can probably guess how most of the movie will play out. Still, it has some nice moments, the cast is good, and the movie is entertaining. Costner is Costner. Personally, I love the guy and enjoy his work in pretty much everything. He's a great "everyman" and fits that role here very well. Bottom line: liked this a lot. 8/10.

* - I have something of an insatiable desire to know the actual true story behind movies that are "based on a true story". This almost always leads to me (after the fact) being disappointed with the way a movie portrays the story. I don't expect documentaries, I just like accuracy with things that are changed having an actual reason for the change. Sometimes movie makers really get it right (Miracle and Unbroken, though Unbroken got right the story it told, it also left off a good portion of the story), sometimes they get the general idea but change more than I'd like (42). Sometimes they get the general idea but change things that alter the entire movie (We Are Marshall). And other times, they change tons of things so you end up with a movie that's only sort of resembling the story it tells, with McFarland, USA being one of those (Hoosiers and When the Game Stands Tall being two more). I sometimes wish I could resist the urge to learn more about the true story behind the movie but I can't. It just isn't in my nature.

• Like 1

That's what I had in mind and it's why the end didn't sit well with me. That is really dark. 

Yeah, but you get a preview of what Andrew is going to be like if he gets anywhere near fame or power. He is going to step on people and he ain't having any loving, healthy relationships. Teacher and student kind of deserve each other.

Well, I watched the Bourne Legacy. It was OK, and with the Bond films having been Bourneified I can see that they'd want to change the Bourne movies to differentiate them, but... it's a really pointless film and there's noreason for it to exist. And although they tried really hard to sell us on the idea that Renner's character was everything Jason Bourne was AND MORE...

having the guy in the cabin say he broke the record for completing the exercise, and then showing that Jason Bourne himself has previously done the same exercise... establishing that Bourne hasn't been topping up his Super-Soldier serum whilst Renner is still on his chems until the end when he's virused out

... Renner really doesn't come across as being the resourceful, relentless bad-ass that Damon did in the first three movies.

The '21 Jump Street' commentary track is AMAZING.

-Jonah Hill says his appearance at the start ("Not-so-Slim-Shady") is how he looked in high school.  When one of the directors describes the scene where Jonah wipes a tear away as not being intended to be funny but audiences always laughing, Hill says it's because he looks "like a fucking idiot"

-The directors (Phil Lord and Chris Williams) tell a story about how it was so hot on set that one of the goth girls passed out.  The girl had a prosthetic arm, and after they carried her back inside and revived her, they asked if she was okay.  "I can't feel my arm," she said, to which Lord responded "Which arm?....because you have a prosthetic arm" and Channing Tatum (on commentary) goes "Ohhhh noooooo" as Lord tries to defend it as a joke.

-Jonah Hill's favourite line is " Hey, hey! Stop fuckin' with Korean Jesus. He ain't got time for yo problems, he's busy wit Korean shit!"
-Channing Tatum's favourite line is " I am one gay black kid getting punched in the face away from a nervous breakdown."

- The original line of "I was doing cocaine with Willie Nelson's horse" was "I was doing cocaine with Whitney Houston's niece" then Houston died, and the only thing that fits the mouth-movement properly was Willie Nelson's horse, so they re-recorded it.
-Channing Tatum trashing the band room and screaming "Fuck you Miles Davis" was entirely unscripted and just Tatum improvising.

• Like 3

The movie ends on a high note, and it looks like a happy ending, but it's not. Paul Reiser's expression as he's watching the whole thing unfold is a big indicator of that.

There's an interview with the writer/director where he's asked what he thinks happens after the last scene. He says that he thinks the kid probably burns out and dies in his thirties.

And I adore that. The sabotage was basically the cymbal thrown at his head. And he responds by becoming in that moment, Bird. I just watched Whiplash and I fucking am worshipping at it's alter. If they did an ending where Andrew blows away the crowd but then does some sort of. "Fuck you" to Fletcher and walks away with his Dad after throwing down his sticks, it would have stunk. This movie was fucking perfect.
  • Like 1

Yeah, WHIPLASH works so well because it's about two incredibly driven, high-functioning sociopaths. If it was just JK Simmons picking on the poor kid it would still be good, but not great.

Nightcrawler: And then I watched the same exact fucking scenario play out, except with Nightcrawler, you figure he's going to get caught at some point. Movie was alright, but Jake was creepy as hell.

It's not the same scenario at all whatsoever.  Its the exact opposite.  Miles is a guy who wants to be one of the greats And Simmons pushes him to be better to a violent extreme.  And Miles makes it thanks to Simmons violent behavior.  Miles acts in a way he never thought he would.

Jake is a person who will do whatever it takes while everyone else tells him how horrible he is (which he is.) He gets to be in the right place at the right time and builds from there.  Literally, he has no talent and no ability.  Other people have to tell him how shitty his camera is.  His only talent is breaking the law and hoping no one notices. 

I loved both movies..but:

The problem is that I work in TV, and while NIghtcrawler was great, the right people would notice.  I fucking noticed.  I'd be on the phone to rat that station out the moment I saw it.  And so would half the people I work with.

Not to mention a morning show wouldn't even slightly risk a bigger rating for that.  That footage would be saved (and promoted) for prime time.  Guaranteed.  The shit move would be to get it and wait until the 11 newscast to show it.