DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

HumanChessgame, on 18 Mar 2015 - 6:01 PM, said:

Speaking of injuries, it looks like one of the Usos is hurt and they're not going to be at Mania.  Looks like Brass Ring Club are keeping the belts for a little longer.  I wouldn't be surprised if the tag title match is on the pre-show, if it even happens at all.

Perfect opportunity for Brock to destroy the other one in an angle that would keep them out of Mania to mess with Roman.

• Like 1

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/2015/03/survey-says-the-somewhat-definitive-history-of-wrestlers-on-family-feud/

All the pro wrestling Family Feud appearances on Youtube in one place. Of course TNA did a five game series *shakes head*

And I believe they were the only ones who didn't play for any charity IIRC.

I can see it.  It's fantasy booking, only monetized.  If advertised correctly, that's a steady stream of income for WWE.

It is more the implementation.

Are they only going to run it on RAW and PPVs?

How do people get points?

Etc...

Etc...

Remember when wwe.com did their own weekly fantasy game for a couple years in the mid 2000s? It'll probably be like that. You get $X and pick a team of any number of wrestlers that fits the budget. Pick a new roster each week that gets locked in a couple hours before Raw, week runs Mon-Sun. Get points for appearances, matches, wins, finishers, gimmick matches, main events, foreign object shots, title wins, etc. Each "season" lasted about 3 months and they had weekly prizes for the top 10 weekly scores, and big prizes for the top 10 at the end. The overall winner got 2 front-row ppv tickets with airfare/hotel/limo. That was me for Summer Slam 06, btw (my Chris Jericho "first ever undisputed champion" moment in fantasy competitions).

Hell yeah, Carlito debuting and winning the U.S title got me a ridiculous amount of points and I loved him for years just because of that.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but anytime I read or watch anything, I tend to think about how things would work out if this was wrestling.

I've been watching some soaps lately(General Hospital 1983 to be exact) and I really think wrestling(not necessarily WWE) could borrow a lot of things from them. I'd think we would need a completely fresh presentation of wrestling to make it work, but I think some things could be borrowed. You'd need a really open mind on what wrestling is, but something might be there.The main things that really impressed me were:

- The fact that they had 5 storylines or more playing out 3-5 times per week. You don't like one storyline? There's a few others to choose from.  While they usually weren't all amazing, they all ended up at worst making sense and at best being great. The amount of work that had to be put in to some of these things was impressive. They also made all the characters equally important and pushed/depushed them depending on where they were in the story. John Cena doesn't always need to main event and Jey Uso doesn't need to always curtainjerk. By giving more people storylines, you have more to work with and can shuffle the cards a bit.

- Storylines beginning/ending at different times with there never being a time where there is nothing going on. There's no day after Wrestlemania period where the season ends.

- Characters referencing/analyzing other characters and bringing up histories and past interactions. All of the characters seem connected in some way. I feel like I know the characters already before seeing them as they get played up and talked about. I guess some of this would be in the announcer's hands, but current announcers are so bad that I'd never trust it. I just think it'd be cool to get like say Kofi Kingston's thoughts on Brock or something and then building somehow off of that.

- The use of parties, social events and other gatherings of various sorts to get different characters to interact and to build storylines. In theory, I guess this would be your Royal Rumble or Battle Royale, but I feel like it could be other things like backstage segments.

- They make it so that you can't miss an episode or multiple episodes. There's seriously no good place to start as current storylines build on past storylines which built on past storylines. They referenced tons of stuff that I didn't see but now want to see to understand the story better. As for missing an episode here or there, I watched about 3 weeks straight and one episode was missing. While I only missed one episode, I felt like I missed a lot. Wrestling needs to copy from this. I feel like I can miss an episode of Raw and be okay, but I am really wanting to see that one episode of General Hospital that I missed out of three weeks. This is how I should feel when missing an episode of Raw.

- The use of generalized and somewhat corny professions to build stories. You usually tend to have a doctor, a policeman/detective, a mobster and sometimes like a restaurant owner who end up butting their head into whatever is going on somehow. These are all pretty simple and easy characters to do, and maybe wrestling could borrow from it. Maybe Randy Orton is pressuring the WWE doctor for scoops on how bad John Cena is injured for their upcoming match or maybe a head of security is in charge of figuring out who attacked a wrestler(most relevant example I can think of is Foley trying to figure out who ran over Austin). Maybe it's kind of hokey, but I think there could be something there.

One thing I'd also like to see is a promotion do a kayfabe death of a character. Comics kill off people, movies kill off people, so why can't wrestling? I know wrestling is quasi pushed as a sport/tv show, but it really is just a show at the end of the day and the wrestlers are no different than your average TV character except for the bumps. WWE obviously looked into this idea with Vince's limo explosion and it would have been interesting to see where it may have gone.

Okay, I'm done, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

• Like 5

Dude, General Hospital is my mom's shit HARD. I only remember when it was "better in the '90s" with the controversial Robin AIDS angle, and when they had to bring back old stars like Luke & Laura to pop the crowd.Sonny vs a guy named Jasper I wanna say was going on around the same time as the NWO, and I remember that being her Sting vs. Hogan. I seem to also recall Brenda (still the hottest chick I've ever seen, even at 8 years old) having a little too much fun poppin' gimmicks around this time after they were trapped in some sort of cave? (It's not hot!)

Soap operas are fuckin' weird man.

• Like 5

With 20 writers i dont know why there isnt more storylines especially for the midcarders. they have over 6 hours of TV a week they can fit in so many storylines for guys not in main event or title pictures. They should have a group of writers for like IC and US titles writers for the divas and writers for the tag team and just give them a certain amount of time each week. Like The Prime Time Players beat the Ascension. Their first lost. Why arent Konner and Viktor attacking PTP backstage and cutting promos about the lose and the damage it has had on their self esteem and what not. and the PTP should be on Raw and Smackdown everyweek beating different teams instead of just beating the Ascension again on the first run UK show. And when they are not making PTP's life hell The Ascension should be on an unbeaten streak themselves albiet even if its jobbers. But what do I know ive just been watching wrestling for 14 years. Smark comment of the day.  

Dude, General Hospital is my mom's shit HARD. I only remember when it was "better in the '90s" with the controversial Robin AIDS angle, and when they had to bring back old stars like Luke & Laura to pop the crowd.Sonny vs a guy named Jasper I wanna say was going on around the same time as the NWO, and I remember that being her Sting vs. Hogan. I seem to also recall Brenda (still the hottest chick I've ever seen, even at 8 years old) having a little too much fun poppin' gimmicks around this time after they were trapped in some sort of cave? (It's not hot!)

Soap operas are fuckin' weird man.

I'd honestly never seen one until about a week ago but man they are def as carny and as pro wrestling as pro wrestling is for sure. Wrestling and soap's have so much in common and I'm beginning to think the only thing separating them is that wrestlers take real life bumps and interact with the crowd.

With 20 writers i dont know why there isnt more storylines especially for the midcarders. they have over 6 hours of TV a week they can fit in so many storylines for guys not in main event or title pictures. They should have a group of writers for like IC and US titles writers for the divas and writers for the tag team and just give them a certain amount of time each week. Like The Prime Time Players beat the Ascension. Their first lost. Why arent Konner and Viktor attacking PTP backstage and cutting promos about the lose and the damage it has had on their self esteem and what not. and the PTP should be on Raw and Smackdown everyweek beating different teams instead of just beating the Ascension again on the first run UK show. And when they are not making PTP's life hell The Ascension should be on an unbeaten streak themselves albiet even if its jobbers. But what do I know ive just been watching wrestling for 14 years. Smark comment of the day.  

I've always thought of the idea of having a group of writers in charge of maybe a group of wrestlers or having them in charge of booking a title. You'd have to have some communication between the groups to avoid overlap or plans getting messed up, but I think it would definitely be a good idea.

• Like 1

What you need to do is get your hands on some of the soap opera dirt sheets. My mom used to read those and they're really the closest thing to pro wrestling. I don't know for sure what they were all called but I remember them being big because there's so much speculation over a show that is on daily and never ends.

Lots of backstage politics.

I've always thought of the idea of having a group of writers in charge of maybe a group of wrestlers or having them in charge of booking a title. You'd have to have some communication between the groups to avoid overlap or plans getting messed up, but I think it would definitely be a good idea.

Thats why you have booking meetings (not trying to sound snarky) and Patterson and Hayes could give input on angles from every division. If they had a group of writers write for certain guys or division then everybody could theoretically be doing something. Like Adam Rose should have angle. i don't know why they didn't reveal someone as the bunny Like Justin Gabrial just cuz he was one of the guys under the mask. but that was months ago. But for example The New Day isnt doing anything why not spend time developing them make them something other then dancing black guys who like church or expand on that make it multilayered. Idk im bored and feel like picking apart the stuffing instead of potatoes.

What you need to do is get your hands on some of the soap opera dirt sheets. My mom used to read those and they're really the closest thing to pro wrestling. I don't know for sure what they were all called but I remember them being big because there's so much speculation over a show that is on daily and never ends.

Lots of backstage politics.

There used to be several soap opera specific magazines, but that's gone by the way of the dodo with there only being four daytime dramas left.  Most gossip is spilled on message boards like this one and blogs/podcasts. My mother used to read Soap Opera Weekly. Soap Opera Digest is still around, but it's not the same as long ago.

Soaps and pro wrestling have so much in common, it ain't even funny.

Midcard guys should have plenty of story.  For example, Adam Rose is easy to write for.  A decent looking guy with an accent who brings his own entourage to every city?  Hello, traveling party promoter/DJ with a mysterious past that can be revealed in a feud with Fandango!

Hell yeah, Carlito debuting and winning the U.S title got me a ridiculous amount of points and I loved him for years just because of that.

Ironically, I'm super thankful for Carlito doing the job at WM 22 against Kane and Show, since the 8 or so people above me had staked their grand prize hopes on Carlito and Masters winning the tag titles. Definitely the only time I ever got excited for a Kane/Show tag match.

Midcard guys should have plenty of story.  For example, Adam Rose is easy to write for.  A decent looking guy with an accent who brings his own entourage to every city?  Hello, traveling party promoter/DJ with a mysterious past that can be revealed in a feud with Fandango!

Or why arent Fandango and Adam Rose a tag team. And bring back Fandango's confetti tights. I dont like the black dress pants.

I was gonna post this in another thread but as I was typing this it didnt seem to fit so I'll put it here. I don't know how you would do it but with UFC and MMA being so popular I wonder if a strong style promotion would work in the US. Like more realistic striking and more hard hitting style. Don't get rid of the high flying but you can incorporate strikes and kicks into that style and the technical style. You can have the over the top personalities but if this is the "reality era" why not focus on the people outside the ring doing featurettes of the workers at home and working out in the gym like UFC does. And maybe make the womens division more serious. With the popularity of Ronda Rosey you think a promotion would take advantage of that. I guess what I'm trying to say is focus more on wrestling and less on sports entertainment. What im trying to say is I wonder if theres a way of running a wrestling promotion that is heavy on wrestling as an athletic contest but isnt up its own ass at the same time. If you can do the hard hitting pro wrasslin with tough fuckers and shooters and grapplers and high flyers all competing to be the best and the love of the sport all while winking at yourself. ROH could be an argument but that comes off due to the production values and the snails pace booking on second rate. Long winded rant coming to a close, could you do cutting edge wrestling now with how stagnant the sport has become without being proceeded as parody? Hey atleast I used punctuation. 

Short answer, the Japanese already opened that Pandora's Box and that's why we have MMA in the first place, so, no. I can't imagine getting people to watch a match in UWFi/RINGS style when I can't even get fans of obscure wrestling here to do it. BattlARTS seems more like what you want so maybe, but you better be damn good at doing it.

I didnt mean per say a UWFi style promotion. I'm not familiar with the BattlARTS promotion what Iwas trying to say was could you incorporate the physicality of UFC with the human drama that down at its core is wrestling. I don't think I'm getting out what im trying to say. I guess in a sense would a more physical in ring style with the nior/comic book aspects of pro wrestling work? Its more of a shell of an idea than an actual fully formed idea.

Yeah you might be on to something. I was asking myself what would a true alternative to the WWE be? What would a viable #2 national promotion have to present? and that concept is what I came up with.