DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Interesting. What's left that WWE doesn't own?

Gulf Coast, Knoxville, Portland, Georgia (minus whatever WCW had), etc.  Lots of stuff still out there.  Now how much was preserved and who actually owns what is the real question.  And the Lawler DVD contents makes it look like Memphis is still up in the air.

Gulf Coast, Knoxville, Portland, Georgia (minus whatever WCW had), etc.  Lots of stuff still out there.  Now how much was preserved and who actually owns what is the real question.  And the Lawler DVD contents makes it look like Memphis is still up in the air.

Add Southeastern(supposedly they kept all the stuff from when they went national), Detroit(don't know what is left), WWA Indianapolis(which supposedly does have some film), ESPN's AWA, UWF/ESPN's UWF, ESPN's GWF, ESPN's USWA Texas, Savoldi's USWA/GWF, possibly other GWF stuff, Savoldi's ICW, NAWA, Southwest(if it exists), GLOW, WOW, POWW, LPWA, Polynesian/Hawaiian Wrestling, WWC, IWA Puerto Rico, IWA Mid-South(it does have a ton of stuff of current stars) and maybe more.

GWF is tricky as WWE says they own it, but the Savoldi's aired stuff for years under the name, ESPN has aired some stuff and I think there is some stuff from the 1994/1995 GWF stuff that WWE might not have.

I don't think the USWA situation will ever be solved. Don't know what the issue is, but they haven't figured it out in a long time.

I'm no Bix, but couldn't a portion of the Memphis stuff be public domain since nobody figured out to claim it in 30ish years?

That's not generally how public domain works these days. Although it would depend in part on how old the footage was (for instance, the situation that led to Night of the Living Dead falling into the public domain so quickly wouldn't apply to a movie made today.)

WWE getting the WWC footage was part of Carlos Colon getting in the HOF last year. There appears to be an opposite deal with the footage going on too. Recently the Classicos de Lucha Libre section of the WWC TV has shown old Invaders matches from MSG.

Add Southeastern(supposedly they kept all the stuff from when they went national), Detroit(don't know what is left), WWA Indianapolis(which supposedly does have some film), ESPN's AWA, UWF/ESPN's UWF, ESPN's GWF, ESPN's USWA Texas, Savoldi's USWA/GWF, possibly other GWF stuff, Savoldi's ICW, NAWA, Southwest(if it exists), GLOW, WOW, POWW, LPWA, Polynesian/Hawaiian Wrestling, WWC, IWA Puerto Rico, IWA Mid-South(it does have a ton of stuff of current stars) and maybe more.

GWF is tricky as WWE says they own it, but the Savoldi's aired stuff for years under the name, ESPN has aired some stuff and I think there is some stuff from the 1994/1995 GWF stuff that WWE might not have.

I don't think the USWA situation will ever be solved. Don't know what the issue is, but they haven't figured it out in a long time.

I thought that the rule for most of the ESPN stuff (for AWA at least, if not the others if they own them) is: WWE owns the AWA library in full (including ESPN'S AWA), but since ESPN originally aired the shows, they have the right to reair them as well.

If I recall correctly, ESPN likes to sign contracts that give them perpetual (as much as legally possible) rights to air whatever they air. They were still airing NASCAR footage on ESPN Classic even after NASCAR originally left them back in 2000. 

And someone mentioned IWA:MS above, which opens up an interesting thought. If CM Punk hadn't left, Ian might've gotten a pretty penny for the IWA:MS tape library, if only for its usage in another CM Punk career retrospective. For a similar reason, Sinclair probably stands to make quite a bit of money off of ROH if they ever decide to sell. Vince could take the ROH library and make a fortune off of it given the guys that they've produced. You honestly can't do a good Daniel Bryan career retrospective without ROH footage and the Punk one was missing something because it was missing some of his work in ROH. 

Greg Daves, who wrestled in the SoCal area as Cincinatti Red passed away this afternoon after a heart attack in Victorville, CA. He was 40 years old.

WrestlerPic03.jpg

When I got into the local business back in '99, Red was booking the first company I worked for. He was also Samoa Joe's original trainer. He was a very cool guy and easy to deal with. He'll be missed.

• Like 2

Rodney Mack is facing a midget named Texas Red.

Tell me there's a fun backstory to this one, brother.

No idea. 3 months back the promoter sent me the line up. Back then Texas Red was facing Frankie Superkick Thomas and his valet Lil Brit AKA the Cockupine. Today the card got changed to Rodney Mack vs Texas Red and Frankie is in another match.

Not Concubine but....Cockupine?  :lol: :lol:

Short version.she got that nickname in a now defunct fed. Some of the fans heard the story and it has spread. Not like we chant it at her. But at least one time last year a ring announcer has slipped up and called her "Lil Cockupine". 

Need a longer version here...what happened to give her that nickname?

OK Long version

Lil Brit is the niece or sister,we are not sure,of the Faroh of Phunk. Who ran NWA Battlezone in Magee MS. He was also the NWA MS state champ 30+ times. Well Lil Brit was known for sleeping with the wrestlers. During a show in intermission,someone in the locker room said something about how much of a ring rat she is. She got mad turned to Faroh "Well aren't you gonna say something about this?" He yelled back "IT IS LIKE GRANDPAPPY SAID... IF YOU HAD AS MANY COCKS STICKING OUT OF YOU AS HAS BEEN STUCK IN YOU. YOU WOULD LOOK LIKE A COCKUPINE!!!" Intermission ends and Lil Brit has the next match. Turns out the crowd heard what Faroh said. So a COCK U PINE chant started.

Then about 6 months later one of the wrestlers that had left NWA Battlezone told a fan the story and it has spread. Kind of like Brit's legs.

• Like 1

She is a very poor man's Melissa McCarthy from Australia.

This is  backwards and wrong. Melissa McCarthy is a talented actress that allows herself to shill poor physical comedy and poop jokes for the big pay days. Think of her like modern Big Show.

Rebel Wilson is multifaceted and legitimately funny with a razor sharp wit and incredible timing but, because of McCarthy's over-saturation and unwillingness to develop, is often and incorrectly pigeonholed. Think of Bam Bam Bigelow or John Tenta.

Both fit a particular mold, and while one is more over with the casual audience and gets to "define" that mold, the other is better at it in most ways and has a much deeper skill set.

Like Tommy Dreamer said, everything is indeed pro wrestling to us.

And I really go there and see Rodney Mack vs. Texas Red, sounds like tons of fun.

I will be recording that match,the 6 man tag and the NWA North American title street fight. Will post links in the 2015 internet thread sometime late Saturday night or Sunday. 

It wad posted in the lucha section -looks like its true.

One of the top stars in Mexico, El Hijo del Perro Aguayo, reportedly died early Saturday morning after taking Rey Mysterio's 619 maneuver at a AAA show Friday night in Tijuana, Mexico.

According to news reports, El Hijo took the 619 in the trachea trying to avoid the move, causing severe whiplash. El Hijo was placed on a backbrace by paramedics and taken out of the Municipal Auditorium arena to Del Prado hospital.

The Zeta publication initially reported that El Hijo was stabilized at the hospital after losing consciousness. However, local news outlet El-Mexicano.com reported that El Hijo was pronounced dead around 1:00 a.m. local time. Zeta followed up with a headline story also reporting that El Hijo died early Saturday morning.

Rival promotion CMLL issued a statement early Saturday morning joining the lucha libre community in mourning El Hijo's death.

El Hijo main-evented AAA's "Rey de Reyes" PPV in a tag match against Mysterio just two days earlier. It was Mysterio's first match since leaving WWE.

A short time before Mysterio's match Friday night in Tijuana, Mysterio tweeted about his scheduled WrestleMania Weekend appearance at "WaleMania" in California this coming week.

*video deleted*

Edited by ChesterCopperpot