DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

If someone finally got control/ownership of the Boesch tapes, what are the odds they're only talking about starting a streaming service to get WWE to pay more for the footage?

I'd imagine that WWE already has enough backlogged footage that still needs to be digitized that they can wait out any negotiation. 

She is a very poor man's Melissa McCarthy from Australia.

This is  backwards and wrong. Melissa McCarthy is a talented actress that allows herself to shill poor physical comedy and poop jokes for the big pay days. Think of her like modern Big Show.

Rebel Wilson is multifaceted and legitimately funny with a razor sharp wit and incredible timing but, because of McCarthy's over-saturation and unwillingness to develop, is often and incorrectly pigeonholed. Think of Bam Bam Bigelow or John Tenta.

Both fit a particular mold, and while one is more over with the casual audience and gets to "define" that mold, the other is better at it in most ways and has a much deeper skill set.

• Like 1

So I told Max Landis on twitter he needs to make a second 'Wrestling isn't Wrestling' video going over the Playboy Buddy Rose story. It stars Rebel Wilson.

I told him I wanted to see Kane develop from a demonic burn victim to a yes man for a guy who accused him of necrophilia.

• Like 1

She is a very poor man's Melissa McCarthy from Australia.

This is  backwards and wrong. Melissa McCarthy is a talented actress that allows herself to shill poor physical comedy and poop jokes for the big pay days. Think of her like modern Big Show.

Rebel Wilson is multifaceted and legitimately funny with a razor sharp wit and incredible timing but, because of McCarthy's over-saturation and unwillingness to develop, is often and incorrectly pigeonholed. Think of Bam Bam Bigelow or John Tenta.

Both fit a particular mold, and while one is more over with the casual audience and gets to "define" that mold, the other is better at it in most ways and has a much deeper skill set.

Like Tommy Dreamer said, everything is indeed pro wrestling to us.

And I really go there and see Rodney Mack vs. Texas Red, sounds like tons of fun.

• Like 1

So I told Max Landis on twitter he needs to make a second 'Wrestling isn't Wrestling' video going over the Playboy Buddy Rose story. It stars Rebel Wilson.

I told him I wanted to see Kane develop from a demonic burn victim to a yes man for a guy who accused him of necrophilia.

That always bothered me about Kane as a corporate stooge. Who willingly works for someone that accuses them of necrophilia?

That always bothered me about Kane as a corporate stooge. Who willingly works for someone that accuses them of necrophilia?

The man is obviously mentally disturbed, so after everything that's happened, including him thinking his Jacob Goodnight, he's blocked out most of the last decade. This is why when it's brought up in front of the entire Authority, EVERYONE looks uncomfortable

Weird, though, that the Fangoria article treats Dr. Death almost as if he hadn't been wrestling for several years before his stint in WWE (if my understanding of the word "burgeoning" is correct).

http://www.fangoria.com/new/ring-of-horror-2-the-brawl-for-all-aka-the-final-destination-of-pro-wrestling/

Interesting article about the Brawl For All, from Fangoria of all sources. I had no idea they paid Dr. Death the win bonus ahead of time!

Jim Ross denied that on Twitter, in a discussion with Bob Holly who originally made the claim.

I always assumed it was a situation where "da boys in da back" knew Williams was buddies with JR, knew he was getting a big push, and knew he was the favorite of the office to win Brawl for All.  So a rumor started "hell they already paid him the money!". 

The man is obviously mentally disturbed, so after everything that's happened, including him thinking his Jacob Goodnight, he's blocked out most of the last decade. This is why when it's brought up in front of the entire Authority, EVERYONE looks uncomfortable

Kane was never supposed to be much of an independent thinker, right?  Every time he's tried to be independent it's ended pretty badly and he usually has someone pulling his strings.He's a big dumb dog in need of a master.  And with Paul gone and Taker defeated he's just been lurching from owner to owner. 

I get the impression that his only true moments of feeling complete as a monster are when he is actually submitting to someone else's will.  Like that moment he handed his mask to Stephanie was a kind of intense psychotic pleasurable experience for him.

In a way that makes him perfect middle management.

• Like 3

Interesting. What's left that WWE doesn't own?

Gulf Coast, Knoxville, Portland, Georgia (minus whatever WCW had), etc.  Lots of stuff still out there.  Now how much was preserved and who actually owns what is the real question.  And the Lawler DVD contents makes it look like Memphis is still up in the air.

Interesting. What's left that WWE doesn't own?

Gulf Coast, Knoxville, Portland, Georgia (minus whatever WCW had), etc.  Lots of stuff still out there.  Now how much was preserved and who actually owns what is the real question.  And the Lawler DVD contents makes it look like Memphis is still up in the air.

Add Southeastern(supposedly they kept all the stuff from when they went national), Detroit(don't know what is left), WWA Indianapolis(which supposedly does have some film), ESPN's AWA, UWF/ESPN's UWF, ESPN's GWF, ESPN's USWA Texas, Savoldi's USWA/GWF, possibly other GWF stuff, Savoldi's ICW, NAWA, Southwest(if it exists), GLOW, WOW, POWW, LPWA, Polynesian/Hawaiian Wrestling, WWC, IWA Puerto Rico, IWA Mid-South(it does have a ton of stuff of current stars) and maybe more.

GWF is tricky as WWE says they own it, but the Savoldi's aired stuff for years under the name, ESPN has aired some stuff and I think there is some stuff from the 1994/1995 GWF stuff that WWE might not have.

I don't think the USWA situation will ever be solved. Don't know what the issue is, but they haven't figured it out in a long time.

I'm no Bix, but couldn't a portion of the Memphis stuff be public domain since nobody figured out to claim it in 30ish years?

That's not generally how public domain works these days. Although it would depend in part on how old the footage was (for instance, the situation that led to Night of the Living Dead falling into the public domain so quickly wouldn't apply to a movie made today.)