DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

There are a lot of similarities between Soaps and Pro Wrestling strictly from a writing standpoint. Back in the late 90's/early 2000's NBC had this soap Passions that you would swear was written by Vince Russo himself. The show's executive producer was a guy who loved his Dusty finishes (in this soap it was the dream sequence) and storylines that made no sense. They did so many bait and switches on the show to this day I still get pissed thinking about it and I haven't seen the show in a good 12 years. General Hospital/Young and The Restless have a LOT in common with the WWE. Plenty of young stars we want to see and other's we would rather not.

It was touched on earlier in this thread, but I too would love to see a kayfabe death of a character. The closest we came to it was the Ric Flair heart attack angle in WCW. Yeah in typical WCW fashion they just wrote it off in passing a week later, but something like that could be pretty damn amazing if written right. With Vince in charge of the WWE I wouldn't hold my breath on them pulling something like that off. Plus in a soap, no one is ever truly dead.

That footage of Sting rescuing DDP still gives me goosebumps. Sting's appearances were legitimately my main reason for tuning into WCW back then

That footage of Sting rescuing DDP still gives me goosebumps. Sting's appearances were legitimately my main reason for tuning into WCW back then

Likewise for me. I've always loved Sting vs. the n.W.o from September 1996-December 1997. That time is my favourite from Sting's career.

Likewise for me. I've always loved Sting vs. the n.W.o from September 1996-December 1997. That time is my favourite from Sting's career.

Is it weird that the best time period in a person's career they only wrestled one match?

I put $3 in this NBA contest on DraftKings last night.  First place won a WWE title belt and qualified you for a bigger tournament where you could win an all expenses paid trip/backstage access for Summerslam.  

Part of the Summerslam prize package was that you get to take over the WWE Twitter account for a few hours.  That seems like a fucking awful idea..... 

Is it weird that the best time period in a person's career they only wrestled one match?

WCW actually did an adaptation of classic hero's journey mythology and did it pretty well.  The hero is banished/exiled, the kingdom withers and suffers in his absence and under the thumb of the usurper, he goes to the underworld and back, and finally he makes his triumphant return and sets right what has been wrong.  The land is healed and he is vindicated.  He went from Achilles sulking in his tent ("all of you that did doubt the Stinger, you can stick it") to Odysseus clearing his house of the squatting suitors.  Implicitly grafting on the plot of The Crow without overtly drawing the parallel, just planting the association in people's minds by having Sting co-opt the look was a nice touch too.  They do nothing, thus they cannot screw it up with bad wrestling company writing, the work is all done for them in the fans' heads.

Except they completely fucked up the ending, of course. :)

• Like 4

Next month and a half or so for indie rasslin in my area:

Saturday 3/21:  Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL (Nikolai Volkoff appearing)
Friday 3/27:  Pro Wrestling Epic in East St. Louis, IL

Saturday 4/4:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO

Sunday 4/5:  High Risk Wrestling in Belleville, IL
Saturday 4/11:  Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO
Friday 4/17:  St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL
Saturday 4/18:  St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL (Gary Jay vs. Davey Richards), SICW in Millstadt, IL (Cowboy Bob Orton appearing)
Saturday 4/25:  SICW in East Carondelet, IL

WCW actually did an adaptation of classic hero's journey mythology and did it pretty well.  The hero is banished/exiled, the kingdom withers and suffers in his absence and under the thumb of the usurper, he goes to the underworld and back, and finally he makes his triumphant return and sets right what has been wrong.  The land is healed and he is vindicated.  He went from Achilles sulking in his tent ("all of you that did doubt the Stinger, you can stick it") to Odysseus clearing his house of the squatting suitors.  Implicitly grafting on the plot of The Crow without overtly drawing the parallel, just planting the association in people's minds by having Sting co-opt the look was a nice touch too.  They do nothing, thus they cannot screw it up with bad wrestling company writing, the work is all done for them in the fans' heads.

Except they completely fucked up the ending, of course. :)

Fucking up the ending is also one of the worst booking decisions ever. Basically because it was so easy to get right. Either A. Hogan gets no offense and loses after a 15 minute ass kicking or B. Sting gets 5 minutes of offense, Hogan cheats and gets 5 minutes of offense, Sting overcomes the cheating and beats Hogan.

Fun thing: March 16th, 1997's ending to WCW Uncensored and March 16th, 2015's ending to WWE RAW both had Sting appearing out of nowhere and killing all the baddies with his baseball bat.

For WCW, it was Sting finally firing his first shot against the nWo after weeks of hiding in the rafters. For WWE, it was Sting finally tearing through The Authority after hiding at home and sending in creepy video packages.

Exactly.  It's a 4000 year old finish, it's already written for you, and it has always worked. :)  How do you fuck it up, anyway?

Poor stupid WCW.

I think they got cute with the Montreal Screwjob. Hogan (and/or Bischoff) saw how much heat Vince got and figured they could do it better

For anyone near Brookhaven MS there is a great show this Saturday.

Rodney Mack is facing a midget named Texas Red.

Vordell Walker is teaming up with the Washington Bullets to take on The Legion. The Legion has The Nightmare Known as Jeremiah,who is the hottest heel in MS and LA currently.

And the main event,for the NWA North American title.

Champ Tim Storm vs John Saxon in a taped fist match.

Late Saturday or sometime Sunday I will upload the matches I film.

• Like 2

BobbyWhioux, on 19 Mar 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

Exactly.  It's a 4000 year old finish, it's already written for you, and it has always worked. :)  How do you fuck it up, anyway?

Poor stupid WCW.

Creative control brother

I was gonna post this in another thread but as I was typing this it didnt seem to fit so I'll put it here. I don't know how you would do it but with UFC and MMA being so popular I wonder if a strong style promotion would work in the US. Like more realistic striking and more hard hitting style. Don't get rid of the high flying but you can incorporate strikes and kicks into that style and the technical style. You can have the over the top personalities but if this is the "reality era" why not focus on the people outside the ring doing featurettes of the workers at home and working out in the gym like UFC does. And maybe make the womens division more serious. With the popularity of Ronda Rosey you think a promotion would take advantage of that. I guess what I'm trying to say is focus more on wrestling and less on sports entertainment. What im trying to say is I wonder if theres a way of running a wrestling promotion that is heavy on wrestling as an athletic contest but isnt up its own ass at the same time. If you can do the hard hitting pro wrasslin with tough fuckers and shooters and grapplers and high flyers all competing to be the best and the love of the sport all while winking at yourself. ROH could be an argument but that comes off due to the production values and the snails pace booking on second rate. Long winded rant coming to a close, could you do cutting edge wrestling now with how stagnant the sport has become without being proceeded as parody? Hey atleast I used punctuation.

I think the only way to do this would be to have a show that's basically a pro wrestling version of ice skating or gymnastics or cheerleading competitions. Two guys have a match, and you have a set of judges holding up numbers. "Told a great story, but your punches are weak and I heard you loudly

call a spot. I give it an 8"