DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Was Larry Zybysko ever actually any good?  All I've seen of his work are a few highly unimpressive matches here and there on old WCW shows.  

He was good enough for you to choose one of his catchphrases for your screen name apparently...

• Like 9

Was Larry Zybysko ever actually any good?  All I've seen of his work are a few highly unimpressive matches here and there on old WCW shows.  

He was good enough for you to choose one of his catchphrases for your screen name apparently...

I never thought much of him as a commentator either.  When coming up with ah handle, I was just thinking of some sort of wrestling related term to use and thought of this one, partially because I always thought it was corny, yet memorable.

If Larry was a baseball player, he's a guy who will hit 6th or 7th and consistently hit .280 for 15 (glorious) years with a .300 year or two thrown in.

Although he'd be worse than fucking Nomar in the batter's box.

• Like 6

Zybysko was fucking great. The entire heel turn on Bruno with the promos and matches is some of the greatest Pro Wrestling of all time.

Shit. He lived off that angle for 30 (glorious) years and deservedly so. I made my baseball analogy earlier, but he killed the ball that season.

Larry probably would have gone on to be one of the great IC champs ever had he managed to not get himself blackballed. Taking nothing away from Don Muraco, but there is probably an alternate timeline where it's Larry who takes the big Superfly splash in the Garden, not Muraco.

I never liked Larry Zybysko. The Bruno angle was great and after that? Nothing. For 30 years, nothing.

He had the great Georgia angle where he bought the National title from Killer Tim Brooks, his AWA run had great matches with Bock and he was the guy who turned Bock Face, him helping Hennig to turn heel ruled, there was that awesome AWA title match with Saito, his whole AWA run was great, the Dangerous Alliance was awesome, his face turn against Regal kicked ass, and him against Bischoff was a blast.

• Like 3

Holy shit, FRANK SOBOTKA!

Cena shrugging off the sledgehammer shot and knocking Triple H the fuck out with his hat was the best.

Shockmaster!

Yeah, pretty much the best thing ever. At the end he asks if we honestly wanted it to be an hour long? Well, um, yeah, I totally did. 

I'm pretty sure '...ah, fuck it, it's Ric Flair, he's AWESOME' should just be the standard argument winning reply to any negative comment about Flair too.

That cast list is insane. Adam Rifkin, Seth Green, it also says Christopher Daniels, Kazarian, JTG, and Shad are in it, though I didn't see them.

Daniels and Kaz are surrounding Josh Peck (of Drake and Josh fame) during the "We fucking hate Triple H!" scene.

OOvwchE.gif

• Like 1

When I met Larry at Fan Axxes during WM 30 I shook his hand and said, "the human game of chess". He laughed and then repeated it in his gimmick voice. So awesome. I also asked him to sign the HOF section of the program, to which he looked for Bret Hart class and signed over it. Was there heat between Bret and Larry?

Kevin Nash is wrestling in Toronto (well, Mississauga) this Sunday for Destiny Wrestling at Don Kolov Arena (at Santino's Battlearts Gym) He teaming with Randy Reign (who just had an NXT tryout at the Arnold Classic show) against Cody Deaner & RJ City...should be fun, The whole show actually looks pretty great.

He still needs a lot of seasoning. He'll probably finish out the year in New Japan and then he could and should sign with NXT. He's so lanky and a bit awkward physically. I think working in an extremely physical style such as New Japan's is going to do him a lot of good.

Just a little piece I wrote elsewhere re: Wrestling Isn't Wrestling

The message is so appropriate right now

The story always goes on. Even if we don’t like the story right now in this moment, it’s gonna go on. It will eventually get better because that’s how this pro-wrestling thing works. Sure they’ll stick with shit that doesn’t work (Triple H 2000-2010) but there’s other shit that does work and once they’re done with the shit that doesn’t work, odds are they’ll be more good shit. Using Triple H’s career as a whole there are a ton of entertaining years of his career and there are a few really bad years. Some of the stuff that looks bad, looks a little better now that we know the ending of the story arc. In the end some of us may not like the idea of Roman Reigns Main Eventer and some of us do, but guess what the story’s gonna go on. Roman Reigns story will end way before our ability to watch WWE and/or pro-wrestling will. No one is bigger and lasts longer than wrestling. Not Vince McMahon, not Bonnie Hammer, not Ted Turner, not Paul Heyman, not Daniel Bryan, not Roman Reigns, not CM Punk, not me, not you, no one. Wrestling will go on long after we’re all dead and buried because it is so real it’s not real.

• Like 1