DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

They had the Freebird rule for the Spirit Squad, I believe.

Was Spirit Squad a Heyman creation?  They got put together around the time Heyman was booking, but it would have been near the tail end of his run, so Heyman might have been gone by then.  Not quite sure of the time line.  I know the guys were still getting pushed in singles gimmicks when Heyman came in.

Edit: Wikipedia says the Spirit Squad debuted on the main roster in Jan '06.  That's in the middle of Heyman's time in OVW, so, if that's correct, they started teaming together in OVW not long after Heyman took over.

I would like to see the return of comedy Kurt Angle to the WWE.  I hope it happens one day.  

I'll second that. It's funny to see him acting in such bad D-level movies now, because he was as good as anyone I've ever seen at doing the comedy stuff on screen in WWE.

Kurt's Z movies are the greatest thing ever. I can't decide if he was better as a serial killer clown, a gun-toting zombie hunting sherrif or a 1000 year old druid trying to take over the world and bring about the age of darkness.

Was Spirit Squad a Heyman creation?  They got put together around the time Heyman was booking, but it would have been near the tail end of his run, so Heyman might have been gone by then.  Not quite sure of the time line.  I know the guys were still getting pushed in singles gimmicks when Heyman came in.

Edit: Wikipedia says the Spirit Squad debuted on the main roster in Jan '06.  That's in the middle of Heyman's time in OVW, so, if that's correct, they started teaming together in OVW not long after Heyman took over.

Heyman ws booking OVW but the Spirit Squad was something WWE created. It caused a bit of a stir at the time. Punk outright refused to be a part of it.

My grandma's cat tried to give me a dead bird one time. Only the bird was alive, the sucker had survived the cat almost biting it's head off and was flying around the house for 30 mins.

I hate birds and cats.

• Like 2

On an actual discussion note:

I just read that Putin has been missing for a week and no one in the international community knows where he is and what he's up to. If this continues, will WWE pull Rusev and Lana? 

Nah, they'll just become North Korean.

• Like 1

On an actual discussion note:

I just read that Putin has been missing for a week and no one in the international community knows where he is and what he's up to. If this continues, will WWE pull Rusev and Lana? 

Only if the international diplomatic community thinks they're suspects in his disappearance.

• Like 1

when did Heyman start booking OVW and when did he leave? 

i remember there being a big buzz about the show at that time but i didn't watch it and am thinking of tracking it down online.

when did Heyman start booking O VW and when did he leave? 

i remember there being a big buzz about the show at that time but i didn't watch it and am thinking of tracking it down online.

Started booking OVW in July 2005, stayed until spring of 2006.  Not sure exactly when he gave up his duties in OVW, but the ECW relaunch was announced in late May that year and the show began shortly after.

His year of OVW really is worth tracking down.  Only a couple people went on to make much of an impact on the main roster, but the OVW was well-booked at that time and Heyman made guys like Johnny Jeter and Idol Stevens look like major stars.  The Jeter/Cappotelli feud might be my favorite thing from that year. 

• Like 2

I know some of the folks that work at a skating rink where CZW runs shows. I don't follow the promotion but I routinely get texts with gems like this from Saturday's show: "A wrestler had fans spit into his hand and then he drank it. His opponent was so repulsed he began vomiting in the ring and they had to cancel the match because the ring was covered in vomit and the guy couldn't wrestle. "

• Like 2