DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Random WWE thought, but does the last 10 or so years of WWE wrestling all kind of blur together in anyone else's mind?

Yes, absolutely. This has been a problem for me for a long time. It started in the Attitude Era. I thought it was just because I was getting older. I can still remember a ton of stuff from when I was a kid watching wrestling. Late 80's & early 90's stuff. But everything from like 1998-present all sort of blends together. I can't even tell someone what the last five Wrestlemania main events were, or who the Undertaker wrestled anymore. I completely forget that guys like Edge were ever even main eventers. It all blends together because none of it matters or feels important.

• Like 1

I think its due to the sheer tonnage of stuff in the modern era.

Back in the 80s, you had one or two wwf shows, one or two nwa shows in syndication and tbs, a couple shows on cable.

And most of those were squashes with an angle every so often.

Now,just a constrant stream for hours and hours at a time

• Like 1

I checked out for a while after Benoit, but even so, I'd say right around the ECW re-launch was when the main shows all started bleeding together. Honestly, the only think I remember from 2007 was someone here having a signature that said "I remember when wrestling was fun. 2007." with a bunch of pictures of, like, Ken Kennedy and MVP. The only thing I feel like I missed out on was that Jericho/Michaels ladder match with that sweet Metallica song in the promo

I think its due to the sheer tonnage of stuff in the modern era.

Back in the 80s, you had one or two wwf shows, one or two nwa shows in syndication and tbs, a couple shows on cable.

And most of those were squashes with an angle every so often.

Now,just a constrant stream for hours and hours at a time

I think that is definitely the biggest reason.  The good stuff really stood out, because it was more spread out.  Also, everything was MUCH more organic.  Big moments felt big because it all felt genuine.  WWE now is so concerned with creating moments, that it all feels forced and fake.

Nah you guys it's because we're old.  My 15 year old cousin can run down title histories and ppv cards for the last decade just like I could for the 90's.  You can just give more time and attention to meaningless trivia when you don't have girlfriends, wives, kids, careers, bills etc competing for your time.

There is a lot more stuff now, but I feel it's mostly just age.  It happens with other entertainment too.  I could rattle off the complete mythology of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but I always had to refresh myself on Breaking Bad before the new season would start even n though both were my favorite shows at the time I was watching them.

• Like 3

Nah you guys it's because we're old.  My 15 year old cousin can run down title histories and ppv cards for the last decade just like I could for the 90's.  You can just give more time and attention to meaningless trivia when you don't have girlfriends, wives, kids, careers, bills etc competing for your time.

There is a lot more stuff now, but I feel it's mostly just age.  It happens with other entertainment too.  I could rattle off the complete mythology of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but I always had to refresh myself on Breaking Bad before the new season would start even n though both were my favorite shows at the time I was watching them.

Dude you're one of my favorite posters here, but this doesn't fit with my narrative of everything being better back then, so I have no choice but to disregard. Sorry man

• Like 1

pretty much the best non-contrived reason to have the Sheepherders in WCW involves them being brainwashed by the Dungeon of Doom.

Man, The Bushwhackers were still with the WWF well into 1996.  I kind of wonder how they would've done as The Sheepherders in WCW except I know damn well they would've been brought in as the same goofy babyfaces and ended up doing cotton candy brawls with The Nasty Boys.

This is all truth, there's no real shortage of massive angles and storylines, even just looking at summertime (When WWE typically does its biggest storylines/angles)

-2007 had the Orton-Cena feud that included Orton punting Cena's dad and the Jackass stuff which was memorable for all the wrong reasons

-2008 was pretty meh with Edge-Undertaker, Punk-JBL, Cena-Batista and 

-2009 had the Legacy stuff (Which was more interesting on paper), as well as Punk-Hardy

-2010 had Nexus which was pretty massive, game-changing stuff, even if it ended up in the same place

-2011 was the CM Punk pipebomb

-2012 had Punk-Cena as well as Lesnar-Triple H stuff

-2013 had Bryan's rise up the card

-2014 had Lesnar after the title

Those are all angles on par with most of what was going on in the mid to late 90s, truthfully, it's just that we're all older.  I mean, look at Summerslam 96, that had the terrible Vader-HBK storyline and Mankind-Undertaker.  Neither of those two angles are really all that more memorable than what was going on in WWE in 2010 or 2011, but we remember it more because we were younger, more excited, less internet-y.

Heath Slater is pissed off.

@HeathSlaterOMRB: I hate the fact that every path I have taken leads me Nowhere!!!! http://t.co/gC8KDGCwoL

"First I get beaten up by every returning legend and it goes nowhere; then I start a comedy heel group of guys in a band with no guitars and it goes nowhere; then I get arrested and it goes nowhere!  What am I doing wrong?!"

I'm sure in some recesses of the IWC people will bitch and complain that Connor is getting the honor and not Rude, Owen, Stevens, whoever. I'm expecting some fans to show they're absolutely horrible human beings. There will likely be solid crossover between those people and people who think Benoit was framed and murdered.

• Like 2

I know we aren't supposed to talk about RAW live but this HoF inductee is the best thing ever.

EDIT - Didnt realise it was already out. I shed a manly tear just now. Good thing I have an hour before work!

I'm going to need a box of tissues nearby during the HoF induction. My mom's brother passed away from cancer when he was 12. I can't imagine having the kind of strength to endure such a horrible disease as a child. My mom also lost her father to cancer when he was 50. What makes it worse is that my uncle and grandfather passed only a few months apart. Fuck cancer and all the pain it causes.
  • Like 1

A lot of indignation here about what imaginary people might do maybe.

Hey man, if you're referring to my shit, I made a bad joke and I feel bad about it

Don't be. A guy I know just quit a Facebook group he was in cause they were all going on about how Benoit deserves to go into the HoF before the kid.

Wow....that's a shitty bu

Hey man, if you're referring to my shit, I made a bad joke and I feel bad about it

Don't be. A guy I know just quit a Facebook group he was in cause they were all going on about how Benoit deserves to go into the HoF before the kid.

Wow...that's a shitty bunch of people.

• Like 1

I was as big of a Benoit fan as there was, but what kind of person expects him to get into WWE's HoF after murdering his wife and child? What kind of person also complains about a kid with fucking cancer being inducted into the HoF?
  • Like 1

I was as big of a Benoit fan as there was, but what kind of person expects him to get into WWE's HoF after murdering his wife and child? What kind of person also complains about a kid with fucking cancer being inducted into the HoF?

Shitty, awful fucking people.

• Like 4

Presumably people that think Kevin Sullivan was the real killer.