DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Let's start his off on the right foot. It's Mania month. Let's all smile and be happy about that fact. I'll be the voice of dissent when I say I actually see the potential for a great spectacle with Taker/Bray. A supernatural passing of the torch. I think that Brock can carry Reigns to something good even though I have no doubt that Roman isn't ready to be "the guy." My one concern is where Bryan will be on the card.

I only started really caring about wrestling in 2001, so I don't have a lot of Sting backstory. Is there something stopping him from saying that he opposes "new world orders" on principle, and that thwarting the Authority is an extension of that?

The whole WWE/WCW icons thing is really cutting the legs out from under him as some kind of avenging figure.

WWE is booking him as the Sting of 1996-1997 so he appears to be mute.

Like I said before, what Triple H is saying isn't bad. He's a villain so of course he'd try to frame it in a way that benefits him.

What he's saying would/will be fine if/when someone actually steps up to call him out on it. That's historically the issue with HHH's promos, though; he says what a heel is "supposed" to say, and presents himself as the strongest, smartest, toughest, most iconic star in the history of the WWE...and then the face responds with, "all of those things are absolutely true, but I'm going to beat you anyway!"

Like I said before, what Triple H is saying isn't bad. He's a villain so of course he'd try to frame it in a way that benefits him.

What he's saying would/will be fine if/when someone actually steps up to call him out on it. That's historically the issue with HHH's promos, though; he says what a heel is "supposed" to say, and presents himself as the strongest, smartest, toughest, most iconic star in the history of the WWE...and then the face responds with, "all of those things are absolutely true, but I'm going to beat you anyway!"

That's the biggest thing - HHH isn't a fucking icon. He'd like to think he is, but he isn't. And nobody has sat in their home fantasy booking a HHH-Sting feud. I'm sure the match will be good, but I could have lived with not seeing this matchup just fine.

Independent shows in my area in March:

Saturday 3/7:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO; Pro Wrestling Epic in Pontoon Beach, IL
Saturday 3/14:  Pro Wrestling Championship Series in Granite City, IL; Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO
Saturday 3/21:  Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL (Nikolai Volkoff appearing); World League Wrestling in Troy, MO (Trevor Murdoch appearing)

That's the biggest thing - HHH isn't a fucking icon. He'd like to think he is, but he isn't. And nobody has sat in their home fantasy booking a HHH-Sting feud. I'm sure the match will be good, but I could have lived with not seeing this matchup just fine.

Sting did apparently as it was the only other match he seemed particularly interested aside from vs. Taker.

Sting did apparently as it was the only other match he seemed particularly interested aside from vs. Taker.

Triple H is an icon because he was the only one who stayed in WWE for as long as he did. It's the parallel that he was trying to draw with Sting.

Sting just needs to show up and be like "lol I don't care about you being an icon, I'm here because you're a dick."

• Like 1

I'll probably regret asking this question, but.... if Triple H isn't an icon, who does fit your definition?

Just curious.  I know a lot of people hate Triple H - I'm not a huge fan either - but I generally find the way people minimize his contribution to the past 15-20 years kinda odd.  I'm not sure that I agree with the idea that he carried the company while other stars on his level (Austin, Rock) went on to greener pastures, but a case can be made for that.  It's not an crazy idea.