DVDVR Message Board

NHL - March 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Edmonton has improved under Nelson and is the only team in the bottom four not tanking out the season. Nice try though. We're just honestly bad. Compared to the Sabres and whatever the fuck the Leafs are doing that's supposed to be an impression of hockey, the just thing is clearly for him to come to his new western home. It's only what's BEST FOR BUSINESS. All we need then is our GM to find 2 or 3 actual defensemen that are not the pathetic corpse of Nikita Nikitin and Justin Schultz.

It's unfathomable that all 30 NHL teams actually wanted Schultz out of college. He's the world's worst version of Tomas Kaberle ever. I would rather have Mike Green (with salary) and Mike Green might be the player I irrationally hate the most in the entire NHL. It's hilarious every time we go to Anaheim all six Ducks fans still boo every time Schultz touches the puck because he snubbed them, when he couldn't even crack their roster if he was in their system.

Boston will win the draft lottery on a 2% chance but don't worry they will just trade him in three years because he's "not a real Bruin".

Detroit with yet another terrible performance against San Jose. Their defense has disappeared and the goaltending has gone with it. Datsyuk is hurt and the young guys have all hit a wall. It's been a brutal couple weeks.

Edmonton has improved under Nelson and is the only team in the bottom four not tanking out the season. Nice try though. We're just honestly bad. Compared to the Sabres and whatever the fuck the Leafs are doing that's supposed to be an impression of hockey, the just thing is clearly for him to come to his new western home. It's only what's BEST FOR BUSINESS. All we need then is our GM to find 2 or 3 actual defensemen that are not the pathetic corpse of Nikita Nikitin and Justin Schultz.

Okay, fair enough, I'd rather McDavid go to the Oilers than the Leafs. (Though that's not saying much.) It's also a fair point that Edmonton is legitimately bad, and not deliberately tanking. (Though once again, they've been trading off vets for futures this season, even at positions they're weak at, so it makes you wonder how hard they're really trying to win...)

But they've been bad for so long, and have been drafting high for so long, that I don't think being bad is a legit excuse anymore. It's not exactly a recent revelation that you need competent defensemen in order to be a good NHL team. They've had enough kicks at the can when it comes to the draft, and I think there are lots of other teams more deserving of a potential franchise player, teams that haven't squandered the last several seasons, deliberately or not.

Calgary needs to keep LA out of the playoffs. Stop doing Calgary things Calgary.

With the way things have been going lately for Calgary, I think LA and Minnesota are just going to win out the rest of the season, so it won't matter what Calgary does.

I'm hoping Winnipeg starts to fall and Calgary can sneak into the last wildcard spot. In theory, finishing ahead of LA should have been the easiest option, but they've just been so hot, I'm not sure it's possible.

Calgary and Minny are playing tonight. C'mon tragic stadium collapse.

Would rid the hockey world of a team with terrible jerseys, Bob Hartley and Mike Yeo. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Don't care who wins this game, as long as it doesn't go to overtime. If jumbojustice doesn't stop saying mean things about the Jets, I am going to have to ask one of the moderators around here with power to ban him. :lol:

I have nothing in particular against the Jets, really. (I dislike Minnesota much more for all the shitty, boring hockey games they've subjected me to.) Just with all their injuries, the Jets seem the most beatable.

They haven't really though. 6-2-2 in their last 10. Calgary, do better.

All I know is that whenever I check the OOT scoreboard, all the wrong teams (including LA) seem to be winning.

I guess you're right, though. Calgary hasn't been quite good enough lately. Still, the fact that they're even in this position after losing Giordano is a minor miracle.

The Perron trade pissed me off, in the sense that losing a 26 year old guy in his prime for a first rounder and a guy stinks, though the price was fair. I don't actually mind the trade per se, though the context of said trade just flat out stinks.

On the Petry thing. Edmonton mainstream media circled the wagons and said "Petry never wanted to re-sign here, trading him was the only option". At least a couple of the hockey bloggers that actually matter have suggested flat out that this isn't actually true and that Edmonton management simply botched the whole thing. I believe it's some of both, to be honest. It was funny watching Mark Spector and Robin Brownlee try and demand that other people reveal their "sources" before they'd take them seriously though. Cute.

"The Oilers have been so bad for so long" is totally accurate and fair but I do wish people wouldn't pretend that season where they finished third in their division ahead of Calgary and Colorado (another completely dreadful franchise saved embarrassment by one ridiculously hot goaltending season) never happened. Colorado have no right getting off as easy as they do in the media. Leafs lose, Oilers lose, it's because they have shitty leadership and Kessel/Hall "need to step up" according to the media. Colorado plays just as bad so I guess by the media logic Landeskog must be a pretty shitty captain. Stamkos must have also been bad in the room those first 5 or 6 years.

Edmonton's problem is their own staff suck at evaluating talent and the only people that seem not to realize this are themselves. We don't want Boychuck and Leddy we want Nikitin. Hey Perron had his best ever year as a pro, sign Purcell and put Perron on the third line and piss him off. Hey, call up Marc Arcobello because we are dying at center, and he plays as well as could possibly be expected, then send him away for nothing (and he has 15 goals this year, so one less than Sedin A and 2 less than Sedin B). MacTavish saying he's confident he can go into next year with Nikitin, Schultz, and Ference as his veteran anchors if he has to. I don't even know where they come up with some of this shit because everyone that watches the team play can see you simply can't do that. Klefbom is good but Jesus he's not Oliver Eckman-Larson he's not going to hold that together. The problem with the Oilers is at the top. Lowe Must Go is old hat now but it's hard not to point the finger at the ONLY GUY that has been here through all of this goddamn mess.

Speaking of which I know he's stuck on an abysmal team but OEL's had an incredible year. Leads his team in scoring, has 20 goals, and maybe the bizarre part, 242 shots so far. He probably won't get any Norris consideration because Arizona are so bad but he's a complete stud.

Sorry I know that's a lot of words on the internet but the Oilers are making me do it.

We will NEVER forget Jamie Macoun crosschecking Dale Hawerchuk out of the playoffs in 1985, and out of our best chance to maybe, possibly beat the Oilers.

Well, that was likely never going to happen. The main problem is that we should have been in the shitty Norris Division all those years. At least that way, they could have made a couple conference finals before getting beaten by the Oilers.

The Islander board right now makes Chernobyl look like a wastpaper basket fire. Seriously, people are saying they are missing the playoffs and shit like that. I'm really fighting the urge to wind them up by saying they will win the lottery and give us McDavid.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/581485029097897984?s=09

Phil Kessel and David Booth got into a fight during practice.

WWJD? Punch Phil Kessel, apparently.

Can one of you post the Kids in the Hall skit with the guy who everybody Is compelled to hit in the face because that sums this up nicely?

Detroit with their first good game in what seems like forever, dominating Tampa 4-0. Jimmy Howard looks to have lost the starting goalie job to Mrazek. No surprise there - 21-23 record ain't good enough.

If NHL games ended after 2 periods, the Jets would be the goddamn 78 Canadiens. As it is, they go a full 3 and they're a middle of the road team with a lot of upside. Was at the game tonight and it was a noticeable different team that came out in the 3rd. They spent the first 2 periods keeping the Hawks on the ropes, then in the 3rd they became sloppy and very complacent in their own in.

Holy god, does Corey Crawford even know what rebound control is? Every thing came off of him fat and juicy. That's a saying, right?

Jumbo, that was better.

tumblr_mwkmrf9Ygs1rhly2xo1_400.gif

Just don't get any ideas of kicking us out of the playoffs.

Don't you feel like the season should just end, like, right now? It totally should, right?! Sorry Senators fans... oh, wait (there aren't any).