DVDVR Message Board

NHL - March 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Symbolism and leadership is good and all, but if the cap drops (And there are rumors it could in the next couple years), the price of symbolism and leadership could be losing a good young player needing a raise. So, for instance, if Boychuk's contract resulted in the departure of, say, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Ryan Strome or Griffin Reinhart, would it still be a good deal. I'm not saying that will happen, but it's an interesting fluid situation.

In other news, my condolences Flames fans, Douglas Murray is practicing with the team after Ladislav Smid was ruled out for the season.

You can make a good case that Boychuck is the key reason Isles went from gong show to legit contender. Saw that the deal Is front loaded and drops to $4 mil for last 2 years so I don't think back end will be a Pronger like cap killer. Also think they still have plenty of room w/cap even if it does go down, not to mention almost all key players are locked up at reasonable prices.

Seeming as relegation will not be an option for major North American sports, what's the best solution to stop teams from intentionally tanking to get great picks? What about rewarding the teams that just miss out on the playoffs instead of shitty teams? It would kind of suck for small market teams that can't make great bids for free agents to make themselves competitive but, fuck, tanking is the worst.

• Like 1

Seeming as relegation will not be an option for major North American sports, what's the best solution to stop teams from intentionally tanking to get great picks? What about rewarding the teams that just miss out on the playoffs instead of shitty teams? It would kind of suck for small market teams that can't make great bids for free agents to make themselves competitive but, fuck, tanking is the worst.

Ron Wilson went on the air during TSN Trade Center and openly admitted he participated in matchfixing while in the NHL. I am not making this up. He literally sat there and said he was instructed by management to do everything in his power to ensure his team lost games, and that the challenge was figuring out ways to get his players to agree to do it without actually outright telling them to throw games.

This is an established, respected hockey figure. Nobody in the media said a word and the only legal action to come out of the show was Joffrey Lupul threatening to sue some guy on twitter.

The NHL doesn't care. They're not going to do anything.

I have to admit I find the glee some people have about their team losing to be shit. I don't want to lose. I want to win. I want to win every game. If that means the Oilers never pick first overall ever again, fucking great.

The only suggestion I can make is an absolute, straight lottery system between every team that misses the playoffs. But even then, it's capped at 20% now to get first overall. And look at this shit show. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

I don't think rewarding those who just miss helps because then if your bad your just bad and have little means to get out.

If you want to avoid tanking, just have a lottery for all first round picks among all non-playoff teams with everyone getting an equal spread.

Usually bad teams have a lot of cap space, meaning they could overpay for free agents. The problem is bad teams usually have a lot of cap space because their owners are cheapskates.

I don't think rewarding those who just miss helps because then if your bad your just bad and have little means to get out.

If you want to avoid tanking, just have a lottery for all first round picks among all non-playoff teams with everyone getting an equal spread.

Usually bad teams have a lot of cap space, meaning they could overpay for free agents. The problem is bad teams usually have a lot of cap space because their owners are cheapskates.

There are also some cares were top free agents don't want to go to bad teams, which plays in as well.

Ron Wilson went on the air during TSN Trade Center and openly admitted he participated in matchfixing while in the NHL. I am not making this up. He literally sat there and said he was instructed by management to do everything in his power to ensure his team lost games, and that the challenge was figuring out ways to get his players to agree to do it without actually outright telling them to throw games.

This is an established, respected hockey figure. Nobody in the media said a word and the only legal action to come out of the show was Joffrey Lupul threatening to sue some guy on twitter.

The NHL doesn't care. They're not going to do anything.

I have to admit I find the glee some people have about their team losing to be shit. I don't want to lose. I want to win. I want to win every game. If that means the Oilers never pick first overall ever again, fucking great.

The only suggestion I can make is an absolute, straight lottery system between every team that misses the playoffs. But even then, it's capped at 20% now to get first overall. And look at this shit show. It's ridiculous.

I want to see the Sabres win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime. We have a shot at a guy who would all but guarantee that happenig and a consolation prize of a guy who would be a pretty big step towards that goal. Tanking is really the only way things get better because even though Pegulia will spend $$$ it's next to impossible to get a franchise player via FA in the NHL because they almost never hit the open market. And then you end up giving stupid money to Ville Leino in desperation.

In other news, my condolences Flames fans,  Douglas Murray is practicing with the team after Ladislav Smid was ruled out for the season.

He can't be that much worse than Smid or Engelland, can he? In any event, he won't be eligible to play in the playoffs (assuming that the Flames make the playoffs), so if they do sign him, it's just to add more depth to their motley collection of bottom pairing D-men.

I do feel bad for Smid, though. Sounds like a pretty serious injury.

The NHL draft lottery sucks, since it allowes whomever wins to only move up a few spots. The old NBA lottery model was great, until Orlando just missed the playoffs and then won the lottery with their 1 ball, so Stern changed the rules. Shit, if I was in charge, all 14 NHL teams that miss the playoffs get one ball each, and every spot is up for grabs. First ball out drafts 14th, last ball out drafts 1st.

Shouldn't it be the other way? Wouldn't the first ball out be the "winner" or is it more of a Royal Rumble, who can last the longest before getting picked by Bettman's poison hands kind of thing?

First ball wins is a shitty way to make this a 30 minute television special. They can do it like the NBA, each team sends a representative that sits in the room looking very uncomfortable for the entire time.

• Like 1

A few years ago Puck Daddy had an article (sorry, couldn't find it) that had a good way to get rid of tanking. Basically, you keep track of the points a team accumulates once they've been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The team that collected the most points once they've been eliminated would be rewarded with the first overall pick in the draft. Not only would you get some exciting games featuring teams fighting for the last playoff spots but a Edmonton/Arizona or Toronto/Buffalo late season game would actually be somewhat enjoyable to watch.

Wouldn't that just result in a team tanking extra hard for the first half of the year? 

I don't mind the tanking but I don't like consistently rewarding shit franchises with top 5 picks for many years in a row. You should go to the back of the line if you get one, even if you still suck.

3 on 3 OT is absolutely ridiculous, especially if they go from 4 on 4 to 3 on 3 during the same OT. This such bush league garbage and is thus the most NHL decision possible. Christ, if the NHL must do something just make the God damn nets bigger already and stop fiddlefucking with these idiotic gimmicks.

How much bigger did the NHL make the nets after Mikita won the scoring title?

It's the damndest thing I have been looking and looking and I just can't find the answer to this anywhere.

Answer to the problem here is "fuck America's shitty war against ties" and go back to how it ever was, but if that's not an option, 3 on 3 is much better than the shootout.

Both of these skip the obvious solution of making goalies wear actual goalie equipment but it goes without saying the bitching and crying if that ever happened makes it impossible. Anyone that actually believes that with current technology we couldn't make 1980's sized gear that is safe to play with is beneath consideration. The biggest mistake hockey probably ever made was allowing goalies to fiddle with their equipment (read: make it bigger) year by year until these weird balloon suits became standard. If I could roll back one thing in hockey, it would be that. Catching gloves should be cut in size by half, pads by probably a third.

I can't think of a worse gimmick to compensate for the errors of expansion than making the nets bigger. I'd be fine with it as long as we start an entirely new record book, one for hockey, and a second for "sub-sport: hockey with big nets".

• Like 3

Yeah, OT should just be 3 on 3 the entire 5 minutes if that's what they're going towards. Fuck the shootout though, so even if it's a mickey mouse rule it's better than relying on the shootouts (even though Vancouver is finally good at them this year).