DVDVR Message Board

NHL - March 2015

Dolfan in NYC

So someone comes across on Sean Monahan and takes a blatant intentional headshot in open ice in full view of four officials and somehow it's only a 2 minute penalty because nobody died.

NHL refereeing is such a baffling magic 8-ball where "all signs point to no". I really don't understand how or why that isn't an ejection, sorry.

• Like 1

The entire punishment system in the NHL is awful and beyond broken. From the on-ice referees to the head office it's broken. Shanahan punished Kadri for whatever the fuck it was with the Leafs worse than he punished guys for trying to cripple each other in the head office. It needs a complete overhaul; no more of this wheel of justice and magic 8-ball shit and I'd really prefer they do it before something truly tragic happens.

It's what happens when they punish the outcome and not the act itself. That's the major issue I have with the system and it's been like that for years.

Anyway, Canucks win, Flames win, Kings lose.

tumblr_m0d1m2rhc21qlzef1o1_500.gif

C'mon Jets, also. So friggin' close!

NHL officiating is awful. It's ridiculous the stuff that refs see and don't call. It's ridiculous the stuff that gets reviewed and then suspensions not handed out. The NBA has at least sort of looked at their star system and league-dictated bias in favor of certain teams. The NHL? Nope. Heck, in the Wings game on Sunday, there was an Islanders player who took NINE full-speed strides to take a run at Justin Abdelkader in full view of at least one ref. No call. And that's just one tiny play among thousands in any game.

Flames pick up 4 points in two nights, and the Kings and Jets both lose over the same time period! Of course, the useless fucking Blues provide no help, losing to the Canucks (but of course, they'll play great when it comes time to face the Flames on Thursday). But I guess you can only ask for so much.

And yeah, the headshot on Monahan was pretty egregious. I don't really believe in the value of goons or fighting in hockey, but that's one of the very few times I find myself wishing McGrattan was still in the lineup (or at least that Bollig wasn't a healthy scratch). Because the refs clearly didn't give a shit about protecting anyone, in that instance.

I feel like there should be an analytic that specifically measures the last 3 minutes of periods because it's pretty much accepted hockey wisdom that getting scored on late in periods is death. Does this exist? Maybe this is my ticket to the slightly-less-small-time.

• Like 1