DVDVR Message Board

NHL - March 2015

Dolfan in NYC

I'm deeply sorry Jets fans for laughing so hard at the end of that game, but god damn.

That was the most Pavelecian goal ever.

Honestly, the Jets are a total coin flip, you never know what team is going to show up game to game. Go down 4-1 on 11 shots? Sure. Come back and tie it in the 3rd? Why not? Give up the winning goal on a dump in from center? OF FUCKING COURSE!

Really, if the Jets could win a fucking faceoff, this wouldn't have even mattered. If they hit 35%, I'd be shocked.

Naturally, the Wild and Kings won too.

Regardless of what happens, I love what the Jets did this year. Not only made moves to improve the team now and prove to a doubting fanbase that they are trying to make the playoffs, they also managed to add a couple interesting prospects. The only prospects they moved out were a middling forward who hadn't been able to stick with a mediocre Jets team for any length of time and the bottom man on a long list of goalie prospects. Plus, they moved out a locker room cancer without sacrificing any pennies on the dollar.

This team might flame out this year, but with Trouba, Scheifele and Hutchison already up, and Ehlers, Armia, Morrissey, Petan, Lemieux, Hellebuyck and Comrie in the pipeline, 2017 and up looks pretty sweet,

On one hand I'm happy for Devan Dubnyk but on the other hand did it have to happen with fucking Minnesota? Absolutely no one likes watching the Wild play hockey.

Rename them the North Stars and bring back the old N logo/unis. Would that help?

The only good memory I have of the North Stars was giving up *that goal* to Mario Lemieux.

That goal is just ridiculous. Just rewatched it again. IMHO, Mario is the greatest hockey player of all-time but what video shows is that he was also a heckuva skater at one time. I tend to think more of the half-speed-but-still-better-than-everyone-else Mario we saw toward the end of his career but the Mario who won Cups could MOVE. All hail Super Mario - only dude to score every possible type of goal (shorthanded, even strength, power play, penalty shot, empty net) in one game.

The only good memory I have of the North Stars was giving up *that goal* to Mario Lemieux.

That goal is just ridiculous. Just rewatched it again. IMHO, Mario is the greatest hockey player of all-time but what video shows is that he was also a heckuva skater at one time. I tend to think more of the half-speed-but-still-better-than-everyone-else Mario we saw toward the end of his career but the Mario who won Cups could MOVE. All hail Super Mario - only dude to score every possible type of goal (shorthanded, even strength, power play, penalty shot, empty net) in one game.

The idea of a Red Wings fan saying anyone but Gordie was the greatest of all time strikes me as blasphemy.

And my great NS memory was the Whalers winning a game at the old Met Center in the last second of OT on an Adam Burt goal in 1991.

The idea of a Red Wings fan saying anyone but Gordie was the greatest of all time strikes me as blasphemy.

:)

Mario was bigger, stronger, faster and led the league in scoring while missing half a season with cancer. Easy decision :)

:)

Mario was bigger, stronger, faster and led the league in scoring while missing half a season with cancer. Easy decision :)

Gordie was a slightly above average NHL 'er... in his 50's. And I think you would get an argument on the strength thing from Lou Founiano (sp?), whose face Gordie famously rearranged in a fight in the 50s.

Islanders re-sign Johnny Boychuk, 7 years, $42 million.

I don't like the deal for the Isles.  I don't think Boychuk is a $6M a year player for one, but the other is he's already 31 and plays hard, physical hockey, those guys tend to decline quicker than your Kimmo Timonens.

What could possibly go wrong signing a 31 year old to a 7 year contract? Garth Snow needed to shake off those pesky backers in the media.

Oh no, they're still backing him.  The only people I see criticizing the length of the deal are the analytics-type guys.  MSM guys are still saying "So many people were calling for Snow's head, where are they now?!"

FWIW the people on the Islandermania board are doing backflips over the deal. People criticising the deal fail to understand how symbolic this is to the Isles fan base. Remember this is the team that traded for a retired player they weren't going to have to pay just because his cap hit would get them above the floor. But not only is the deal good for credibility, it was important because Boychuck has made an incredible impact on this team and they couldn't afford to lose him.

Symbolism and leadership is good and all, but if the cap drops (And there are rumors it could in the next couple years), the price of symbolism and leadership could be losing a good young player needing a raise.  So, for instance, if Boychuk's contract resulted in the departure of, say, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Ryan Strome or Griffin Reinhart, would it still be a good deal.  I'm not saying that will happen, but it's an interesting fluid situation.

In other news, my condolences Flames fans,  Douglas Murray is practicing with the team after Ladislav Smid was ruled out for the season.

• Like 1