DVDVR Message Board

NHL - March 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Did the Canucks just get Bärtschi for a 2nd rounder? He's been dog shit for the Flames by the looks of it but he had real potential. Pretty good but not great numbers in the A. But for a 2nd, I really think it's a good move.

TSN sez it's a 2nd from this year, so slightly steeper in price than Stewart. Stewart is purely for the present whereas the Canucks jumped ahead in terms of development with the 2nd for Bärtschi. They did a similar thing when they traded Forsling for Clendening. I liked that less, as Forsling was showing real promise but I suppose it was a case of selling high after the WJC.

Just finished the Gordie Howe autobiography that was released last year. Highly recommend fun read. Also finished a book called Birth of a Dynasty on the 1980 Isles that made for interesting reading. Never realized how close Roy Bowe's financial plight came to killing the team just before the glory years. He owed the Rangers an indemnity and they took him to court. According to the book, they wanted to leverage the debt to force the Isles to give them Potvin. Imagine how that would've changed history. But Pickett stepped up and saved the day.

The Blues going upside for Michalek even though he's dealing with a concussion. If he gets healthy there defense looks outstanding going into the playoffs. If he doesn't, we just traded a pretty interesting 2nd round prospect for a 3rd round pick.

Apparently St. Louis almost dealt for him a week or two back before he got hurt, so I wonder if they got him for cheaper than what they'd traded for earlier.

Not sure how I feel about the Cole-Bortuzzo swap.  I feel like Cole is maybe the better defenceman while Bortuzzo is tougher.  With the Blues adding him, and Chicago adding Andrew Desjardins, I feel like Chicago and St. Louis are preparing for WWIII in the first round.

Murray recognized our glaring strength (goaltending) and addressed it by getting rid of Neiverth #Tank4Connor

I enjoyed the back-and-forth between Buffalo and Arizona this past few weeks/months, culminating in the Neuvirth deal AKA "We've got Lindback and Ocho Cinco in net?!  You can't top that!" followed by Arizona dealing for David Leggio with a sly "Oh no?!"

Did the Canucks just get Bärtschi for a 2nd rounder? He's been dog shit for the Flames by the looks of it but he had real potential. Pretty good but not great numbers in the A. But for a 2nd, I really think it's a good move.

This has a real danger to be a 'Nino Niederreiter' deal for the Flames.  Like, it's not going to overly hurt them, but you'll look at their roster in the coming years and wonder how much better it would look with Baertschi in the line-up.  He may not pan out (His pro numbers haven't been great) but you can't imagine a guy who clearly has a coach and GM who give no shits about him was ever extremely motivated.  He's also going to Utica to play under Travis Green, who was an Assistant when Baertschi excelled in Portland, which is a nice added touch.  I still think it's weird the Canucks didn't move Kassian, who is CLEARLY not Desjardins favourite player, but whatever.

James Wisniewski to the Ducks for Rene Bourque, William Karlsson and a 2015 second rounder.

Love this move for both sides.  Ducks get another solid puck-moving d-man and don't give up their top prospects (Etem or Rakell) or their 1st, while Columbus subtracts Wiz's big cap hit and makes room for David Savard and Kevin Connauton while adding a quality prospect in Karlsson.  I wish there were more deadline deals like this one.

Baertschi trade was out of nowhere. I don't really mind it for either team.

If the Flames think he's not going to pan out, it's better to admit failure and get a potential asset. If the Canucks think they can salvage his development, he's a better bet than what they'd get with a second round pick.

I don't feel like any of the trades really make too much of a difference to anyone's chances. I guess Timonen is the only one I could see really being a difference maker if he somehow turns back the clock.

Giordano is out 4-5 months, so let's officially welcome Los Angeles to the playoffs.

Hey, the Flames did manage to pick Schlemko off waivers, so that should make up for at least some of the loss, right? RIGHT?!

...yeah, they're fucked.

Stupid, stupid hockey.

Baertschi trade was out of nowhere. I don't really mind it for either team.

If the Flames think he's not going to pan out, it's better to admit failure and get a potential asset. If the Canucks think they can salvage his development, he's a better bet than what they'd get with a second round pick.

Apparently Baertschi wanted out, and didn't intend on re-signing with the Flames, according to the Flames GM. (Can't really say I blame Baertschi -- he was far from a perfect prospect while he was here, but the Flames did dick him around a fair bit.) So yeah, not a bad return, considering it was a forced move.

I'm still a bit bummed about the situation though. I thought he still had potential to be a good NHL player, and I thought we might even get a chance to see what he could do on the Flames for the rest of the season, given that Glencross departing leaves a hole at LW.

I am not joking when I say that the Sabres have probably been on national TV more times this season than any other NHL teams. That has to be a violation of the Geneva Convention right?

Luongo with the run-in to save the day. This is so wacky.

Apparently something like this has never occured since they changed the rules in 1967 so if you're missing it there's a good chance you'll never see it in your lifetime.