DVDVR Message Board

NHL - March 2015

Dolfan in NYC

With less than 24 hours until the NHL trade deadline expires, the New York Rangers and the Arizona Coyotes combined for one of the biggest deals of the season Sunday afternoon.

The Rangers have acquired defenseman Keith Yandle, defenseman Chris Summers and a fourth-round pick in 2016 in exchange for defenseman John Moore and top prospect Anthony Duclair, as well as a lottery-protected, first-round draft pick in 2016 and a second-round pick in 2015. The Coyotes are also retaining 50 percent of Yandle's salary in the deal.

I would care more but I am still irritated they lost to the Flyers

@FriedgeHNIC: Janmark is other prospect for Cole. So, it is Cole and a 3rd for Backman, Janmark and a second. DAL gets that pick back if...DET goes to Eastern Final and Cole plays 50 per cent of the games.

And to sign players to just the worst deals and trade them the next summer (and still be able to get marquee free agents because New York). With that in mind, Nonis could be the future Rangers GM!

The analysts (using the term loosely) on Sportsnet were talking about the Yandle trade and said the Rags gave up a lot. I'm not so sure. Duclair is the big piece but the success rate of late first round picks (note: it's next year's not this year's) is a lot lower than what the majority of people seem to think and John Moore is basically a guy that can skate and make a nice pass...  beyond that? I don't think there's much to his game. Yandle is a huge upgrade on Moore and they're trying to take that extra step for the cup, it makes great sense and is a really good trade.

Great game by the Jets in beating the Kings 5-2. Maybe the best they've played all year. Not sold on acquiring Stempniak, but he's a live body that can fill out the bottom 6. It's not been Columbus bad, but the Jets injuries this year have been ridiculous. The price to get him wasn't high either. Kilngberg is only 24, but has been kicking around the minors for 5 years and, while putting up decent numbers, hasn't seemed to be able to stick up on the big club for more than a couple games at a time.

And to sign players to just the worst deals and trade them the next summer (and still be able to get marquee free agents because New York). With that in mind, Nonis could be the future Rangers GM!

The analysts (using the term loosely) on Sportsnet were talking about the Yandle trade and said the Rags gave up a lot. I'm not so sure. Duclair is the big piece but the success rate of late first round picks (note: it's next year's not this year's) is a lot lower than what the majority of people seem to think and John Moore is basically a guy that can skate and make a nice pass...  beyond that? I don't think there's much to his game. Yandle is a huge upgrade on Moore and they're trying to take that extra step for the cup, it makes great sense and is a really good trade.

I concur with the added caveat that I'm not sure Anthony Duclair is THAT good, either.  I mean he did only score 1 goal in 18 games this year in the NHL.  I saw someone (Maybe Dave Lozo) say that he was a power-forward-in-waiting who could score 25-30 goals a season in the NHL and thought "When was the last time a power forward who stood 5'11 scored 25-30 goals in a season?!).  New York paid a hefty price, but I'm not sure it's THAT massive.

Also, two late-night trades if anybody's still up.

-Brett Connolly to Boston for two 2nd rounders

-Braydon Coburn to Tampa for Radko Gudas, 1st and a 3rd.

In my opinion, two pretty major over-payments.  I mean Brett Connolly's averaged under .25 points-per-game in his career, thus far.  Even with Tampa's high-powered lineup this year, he only has 15 points while Coburn has been declining pretty big this year and returns a 1st and 3rd.  Also Radko Gudas is going to be a legend in Philadelphia.

Man, I remember all the hype around Connolly and how it was just a matter of when and not if he would break out. What's the success rate of late 2nd round picks yielding NHL players? While Connolly is leaning heavily towards bust material, he will still likely be the better player than either of the players those picks turn out to be.

Coburn is a big dude that can skate pretty well but I've never really been impressed with his tools or his decision making. It seemed like he had Kimmo to bail him out whenever he made a bad read though.

I really don't like either deal from a TBL perspective. Gudas is awesome and is a match made in heaven for Philly fans, as you say. The 1st is for the 2015 draft? That's pretty damn good return on a player I think is way more hype than substance. Coburn won't have the Timonen safety net in Tampa either, so he could end up being a liability that Stevie paid a large price for.

Is it just me or does there seem to be way, way more action in the buildup to the deadline than years prior? I like it.

tumblr_inline_mhvg4wDHnT1qz4rgp.gif

Radko Gudas is a fucking great depth defenseman and he hits everything that moves.

I'm slightly underwhelmed, but not that surprised that Petry went frankly too cheap. He's improved dramatically this year, I was never a big fan before this year, but he has put in the work. I wish him well in Montreal.

So the Red Wings have picked up Eric Cole and Merick Zidlicky. They didn't give up much to get either guy so no real complaints here. Have no idea what Zidlicky's play has been like this year but Cole's been pretty decent. Will be interesting to see who sits. I'd guess Teemu Pulkkinen or Thomas Jurco among the forwards to make room for Cole and probably Alexey Marchenko among the defensemen, though he's played pretty well. Maybe Kindl instead.

The Blues going upside for Michalek even though he's dealing with a concussion. If he gets healthy there defense looks outstanding going into the playoffs. If he doesn't, we just traded a pretty interesting 2nd round prospect for a 3rd round pick.

And now they have Olli. :)

The Blues going upside for Michalek even though he's dealing with a concussion. If he gets healthy there defense looks outstanding going into the playoffs. If he doesn't, we just traded a pretty interesting 2nd round prospect for a 3rd round pick.

And now they have Olli. :)

I don't even know how to respond to this move.

Injury reserve C I guess.