DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Surprised no ones talking about todays CL semi final. As expected Barcelona qualified for the finals. Bayern won today 3-2, but Barca advance on agg. goals.

Suarez had 2 great assists to Neymar and Luis Enrique subbed him out for Pedro in the second.

Ter Stegen also had a great first half.

Bayern was dominating the aerial game, but failed to convert them. They also had some good shots on target, but ter Stegen wouldn't let anything get past him.

Bayern fans are awesome and still supported the club despite not advancing to the finals of the CL.

Real vs. Juve at the Bernabeu tomorrow is going to be interesting. Despite the previous Juve win in the first leg, I think we're going to get El Clásico CL finals in Berlin which is awesome.

Sorry, had to go to work. ;)

Ter Stegen and the quick Barca comeback basically turned this into a nothing match after roughly 20 minutes (and 13 minutes of hope for Bayern fans). I think, the biggest thing was Mario Goetze warming up for about a half and it seems a big talking point in the tabloids. People are asking if he will stay with Bayern or if he doesn´t. Lots of talk about Bayern going for new stars etc. It was still a good performance by Bayern and Barca helped a little by not going all out. Over 180 minutes, Barcelona was just the more explosive team and always looked threatening as soon as they geared up in offense. Bayern´s players - understandably - seemed tired after a long summer with lots of them playing major parts in the German World Cup win and a dominanting the first half of the Bundesliga campaign, but were able to look better with an emphatic crowd pushing them on in their home game.

I´m really interested in Juve vs Real, it could go either way though. Real could waltz over them, but it will take a really great game by Madrid I´d think. Juve seemed really really solid this year in CL and they will probably go to their limits.

edit: Clumsy Chiellini challenge gives away a pen to Real, Cristiano Ronaldo converts. Juve was doing really well for the first 15, keeping the ball away from their own danger zone, but Real seemed to be making progress over the last few minutes. Now it will be a different game, probably.

Edit 2: Congratulations to Juve! Wouldn´t have called this one before the CL start. Impressive campaign. Real failed to capitalize when Juve was reeling and was missing some of the luck they had last season (final especially). Real joins the club of CL winners who can´t quite repeat their great feat of previous year´s win. Since the competition has been rechristened "Champions League", no team was able to defend the championship. It was still a decent campaign from Real, but they were lacking the punch, even when they had quite a few counter attacks they couldn´t convert. .

• Like 2

Wayyyy calmer than me!  Man the last 30 minutes were nerve wracking, Madrid had their chances but that Old Lady Defense held it together!  Juve had a couple chances to put it away too, it could have been 2 or 3 more goals each.  But what a performance by the Bianconeri!  I don't know if they can stop the 3 headed hydra of Barca, but i'm just happy my 2 favorite teams made it to the final!  June 6th is gonna be one hell of a party!

• Like 1

I think Juve´s true strength in this away game was that they looked seriously interested in keeping the ball away from their box even before they went down 0-1. Even in the end Real looked more desperate than threatening. This Juve-side is very very solid, but Barca is going to be a hell of a job to contain. I´d say ultimately it´s the two most convincing teams of the k.o.-stages in the final, should be a good final.

• Like 1

Well the La Liga strike is over after Spanish courts vetoed the strike.  So Barca vs Atletico Madrid this weekend will likely decide the title, if Barca wins they are champs since they only need 3 points from the last 2 games to lock it up.

And after Serie A has done so well in European competition this year their coefficient has shot way back up, and could go higher after the big win yesterday and the italian games today.  It looks like Italy may get their 4th Champions League spot back after next season if they stay hot, and it could be at the expense of the Premier League!  Hopefully Napoli can pull out a big win today at Dnipro and get themselves into the Europa League final vs Sevilla as well!

The rumor mill today has Ancelotti being sacked and replaced by Klopp at Madrid.  And supposedly Madrid wants to trade Bale to Man United for De Gea and some $$

I went down to the 30th Anniversary of the Valley Parade Fire Disaster in Centenary Square on Monday. As you would expect it was moving particularly the reading of the victims with a bell toll and the live performance of You'll Never Walk Alone. Place was packed.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Why would Real want de Gea if they still have Iker and Keylor? It's been rumored for a bit now, but it still makes no sense to let Bale go for another GK.

United should clutch onto De Gea with an absolute death grip assuming he doesn't really care if he gets paid vast sums of money in England or Spain. He's been their best player this year, in my opinion. I really don't see how they could upgrade from him without getting Neuer which is not happening.

Insomniac alert: A League final between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC is on FS2 tonight at 1AM.

Also saw the NASL is putting a team in Hartford called Hartford City FC. If they play Brass Bonanza after every goal I wholeheartedly approve.

Guest Edwin

Man United were up 1-0 for 82 minutes of the game before Victor Valdes came in as a substitute for de Gea and Arsenal got an OG from Blackett. De Gea received an ovation as if the fans expected this was his last game at Old Trafford in a United kit.

La Liga title is up for grabs today. Barcelona with a 4 point lead over Real Madrid are currently tied 0-0 at the Vicente Calderon and Real is also currently at 0-0 away at Espanyol.

Guest Edwin

Barça beat Atléti 1-0 at the Vicente Calderón to win La Liga title with a seocnd half Messi goal bringing his season goal total to 41.

Real beat Espanyol 4-1 with another Ronaldo hat trick which pretty much locks the Pichichi title with 45 goals.

1 more game to go in the season and Atléti and Valencia fight for the third and fourth spots as Atléti currently hold a 3 point lead over Los Che.

The rest are far behind.

Córdoba is the only lock of being relegated so far after only having been promoted last season as they have only been held to 20 points.

Guest Edwin

Don't mean to spam, but I forgot to mention ESPN did an E:60 episode on Sepp Blatter and an investigation of the FIFA corruption. It's great. A true must watch.

Tight at the bottom of the Premier for the final relegation place. I think Villa & Sunderland are basically safe. It's really down between Hull & Newcastle. If Hull had an easier last game than Man Utd I think they'd be safe. I don't really see them getting the 3 points against United, perhaps a draw maybe. Although what's in Hull's favor is that there's a ton of pressure on Newcastle from the fans & whilst I don't see them beating Big Sam & the Hammers (the media/pundits are saying it's his chance to get revenge against Mike Ashley for sacking him). I think they could get a draw & finish 17th and stay up. Unless the players get fired up before the home crowd and go and put on a solid performance. Since Alan Pardew's left for Palace the club has imploded. I wouldn't place all the blame at Mike Ashley's door though, the players need to take accountability, as should the coach. There seems to be no real heart in the squad and considering earlier in the season they beat Liverpool et al then they do have the players to do the job, they just don't seem to be trying. If the Magpies do get relegated (although despite their current situation I see them hanging on this season) then they have to do some major work reconstructing the team because I don't see them bouncing back up again like they did with Chris Houghton at the helm. Plus they had Big Andy Carroll, Joey Barton et al back then and they had a lot of fight & team spirit and they got around or over 100 points to win the Championship. With their current squad I see them treading water for a few seasons in the Championship if they do go down.  

Guest Edwin

Orlando City just got their first MLS home win beating LA Galaxy 4-0.

Kaká had his best MLS game ever with an assist to Larin and a goal from a penalty.

Adrian Heath changed the starting line up and Tally Hall was the starting GK over Donovan Ricketts. Not sure how good Hall is as he didn't really get to do that much as LA had a horrible game on both ends and didn't really do much to challenge him in the box.