DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2015

Dolfan in NYC

It's really easy to forget NYCFC is an expansion club... if they could keep the other team from scoring in the last 20 minutes of EVERY MATCH and improved their own finishing, they'd be sitting pretty right now. Been way too many times this year where it seems like there's a freaking force field around the other side's goal.

Porto's up 3-1 on Bayern in the Champions League right now.

apparently Porto isn't gonna have a few guys for the return match in Munich.

So... Bayern by 5.

Don´t really know about that. Bayern has some major injury trouble, I guess it´s some type of karma for Sammer knocking Dortmund a short while ago for all their injuries. They had 4 players fit to play on the bench, no Ribery, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Alaba, Martinez etc. Lahm apparently got sick. Lots of quality missing. Of course, they still have a good team, but tommorow´s not going to be a walk in a park, Dante looked like he was finished in the last two games.

In the Bundesliga, Bayern are now 13 points ahead of Wolfsburg. This means they will very likely win the championship next week. It´s a month later than the year before, still way too early to account for an exciting season, I´d say. Gladbach drew at Frankfurt, Leverkusen took the chance and gained third place with a 4-0 thrashing of Hannover who are now in deep trouble. Augsburg, Bremen and Dortmund all took three points. After that horrible season, Dortmund is still somehow in contention for a possible Euro-League finish.

At the bottom, Freiburg, afromentioned Hannover (both on 29 pts) are followed by Paderborn (27), Stuttgart (26) and Hamburg (25). All of those teams lost last weekend. Hannover were the next club to release and replace their coach. Michael Frontzeck (trained Gladbach and St. Pauli in the past) takes over from Korkut.

• Like 1

In even more WTF news regarding Bradford City (at least to me, maybe you were already aware of it, Natural), there's this: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-stafford-heginbotham-martin-fletcher

1) May 1967: fire in Stafford Heginbotham’s factory at three-storey Cutler Heights Lane, Bradford

2) April 1968: fire at Genefoam Ltd, managing director Stafford Heginbotham, Cutler Heights Lane

3) August 1970: store-room explosion at Matgoods, founded by Heginbotham, in Wyke, Bradford

4) December 1971: tenant fire at Castle Mills building, Cleckheaton, owned by Heginbotham

5) August 1977: fire at Yorkshire Knitting Mills, in Heginbotham-owned Douglas Mills building, Bradford

6) December 1977: fire at four-story Coronet Marketing factory, Leeds Road, Bradford. Coronet Marketing a subsidiary of Tebro Toys, owned by Heginbotham

7) November 1977: fire with toxic fumes at Douglas Mills factory

8) June 1981: fire in plastics factory at Heginbotham-owned Douglas Mills

Unbefuckinglievable. I can't believe it would take 30 years for something like that to bubble to the surface.

Mixture of reactions I've seen to this: is it real, the timing of it, anger etc.

Bradford City always mark the anniversary of the fire disaster at the last home game of the season. I've been to some of them and one time the ceremony, in City Square on the date of the tragedy, 11th May. Emotional. I'll be attending the game on Saturday, not only the last home game of the season but the 30th anniversary. Roy Hodgson is going and there will be a one minute silence at all Premier and Football League games.

BT Sport will be airing a film on the day of the disaster, the 11th of May at 9:30pm. It will be free for all and will have no ad breaks.

Call me the worst DVDR-Footie-Pundit ever... the consistancy in calling shit 100 % wrong is astounding. Bayern - Porto 2:0 after 23 minutes and they are beating Porto like Don Frye beat Takayama´s face. Much like said face, this isn´t a pretty sight.

EDIT: Make that 3-0 after 26. Steamroller against bobby car so far.

• Like 2

Don't make Pep angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

Also I have seen a lot of PSG in the Champion's League the last two years and I've yet to see Sirigu make a single stop that "any good goalkeeper" wouldn't make. That's not really in relation to any one goal against but at some point if you want to knock off the Barcelonas and Bayerns of the world you're going to need a save of real importance.

Guest Edwin

And Muller nets a long shot from out of the box.

4-0 Bayern up in the first half without Robben, Ribery or Alaba.

6-3 on aggregate goals.

Guest Edwin

What's funny is that the Bayern players seemed afraid during the anthem, namely Thiago yet he scored the first goal and his reaction totally changed.

Except for Alonso who looked calm and Boateng who just looked intense.

After the Thiago goal, Porto just seemed overwhelmed. The Porto defense seems lost and frustrated.

Great performance by Bayern in the first half.

might be hard for Bayern to keep the margin at 5 thru the 2nd half. Might win this one by 8.

Ah, shut it. You were in cahoots with them all along, admit it. ;)

It was interesting to see how visibly shaken Bayern looked after the Porto goal despite being dominant pretty much all game. It looked as if they were going to go all out at the beginning of the second, but around the 60th it looked like the autopilot was activated. Porto scored and it became a little interesting for five or so minutes, but when Bayern regained control I would have bet on them scoring a sixth goal. Great performance from Munich all around.

I´m always a little critical of Thiago (I was pre-injury at least) and Goetze, who have both such great potential yet look as if they aren´t putting it together like they should with their skillskets, but they really tore Porto apart today. Mueller and Lewandowski put in quite the shift aswell. Benat, who just seemed very pedestrian and very mediocre for the majority of the CL-games, was great, too. Porto didn´t really happen and should have probably get a lot more yellows than they got, I was a little baffled by some of the ref´s calls. Although, to be fair, Badstuber´s rash challenge in the first could have been a direct red.

Up until now, I have to say Barcelona have looked strongest of all teams. It seemed they dispatched of PSG quite easily and they topped a very tough group. They are the team to beat imo.

Edit: I really don´t know if this as much an interesting fact as I think it is, but Bayern making the last four keeps the streak of German teams making it to the semis in the Champions League alive and at 6 in a row. It also means a team of either BPL or Bundesliga has made the Final four since the 2003/2004 season (said season included). This pales of course compared to the Spanish dominance, the last final four without a team from LaLiga/Liga BBVA happened in 1999 (Manchester, Bayer, Juventus and Dynamo Kiev being semi-finalists that year). Juventus or Monaco will be the first team not from Spain, Germany or England since the 2009/2010 (Inter Milan) season to make the semifinal. 

• Like 2

FC United breaks through a finally wins the Northern Premier, securing promotion to Conference North, and comes one step closer to the anticipated matchup with United.

• Like 1

This was Germany - Brasil reloaded. Great game from Bayern. One Difference: They almost struggled after the 1:5 goal.

One thing remained the same, David Luiz is still completely horrible at defense. 

Oh, i'm thinking of PSG.  Well Dante sucked it at Bayern too last game.  Why are Brazilian CBs so bad recently.

I´d say that Dante and David Luiz are good CBs, but they were always rated higher than their actual quality and have weaknesses that can be exploited with ease if they aren´t under strict damage control. David Luiz especially is very likely to throw tactics and discipline out of the window if paired against a strong opposition. If said opposition scores, he often gives up his posiion and does very stupid stuff like interpreting his role as that of an attacking midfielder instead of trying to sort stuff out, put in some solid defending and buy the coaching staff and his teammates some time to regroup and make adjustments.

A lot of him looking / seeming to play shitty comes from PSG splashing out 50, 000, 000 € I´d say and a probably much cheaper guy like Boateng being way more solid and tactically sound while playing the very same position and having the same major stregths (physicality, speed, good build up passing I´d think).

• Like 1

CL semifinals:

Barcelona - Bayern
Juventus - Real

Euro Leauge:

Fiorentina - Seville

Napoli - Dnipro Dnipropetrowsk ( I totally admit I c&p´ed that one)

Fun finals, however the semis play out. I have to say I really wouldn´t want "El Clasico" for a final, three years in a row with national finals would be too much for my liking. But it´d still be a great game for a final, of course.

• Like 1

Millwall and Wigan offered a Championship lifeline as Rotherham have been handed a 3 point penalty for playing an illegal player (a Derby Loanee a day after his loan contract expired in early april) in a previous game, that means that rather then a 4 point lead with a game in hand, they're now one up. They still have a good chance of survival though, as Wigan and Millwall only have two games left and Rotherham have 3.