DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Spring 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Been away for a while, here is what happened in Germany.

Cup: Besides Werder Bremen losing to third division Bielefeld, Round of the last sixteen pretty much concluded as aspected. Bundesliga teams won their respective matches, with both Bayern and Dortmund being troubled a bit. Same goes for Bayer Leverkusen who needed an extra time win at home against second division Kaiserslautern. Quarterfinals:
Bielefeld - Moenchengladbach, Dortmund - Hoffenheim, Bayer Leverkusen - Bayern Muenchen, Wolfsburg - Freiburg

Bundesliga: On the bottom end, Stuttgart and Freiburg are the teams you have to be most-worried for, at 18th and 17th place which would mean direct relegation. Paderborn is - as of now and barely - clutching 16th, a place that would mean a play-off against second divisions third place (very open race there, lots of teams tied and close to each other on points). What speaks against those three is their incredibly negative trend: Freiburg and Paderborn both won one match in 2015, Stuttgart managed three draws and no win so far. Speaking FOR at least Paderborn and Freiburg is the fact that both teams are only - again, as of now - one win (2 points for Paderborn, 3 for Freiburg) away from places which would prevent relegation. Hertha BSC Berlin and Hamburger SV sit on 14th and 15th place, both having won 25 points so far. Last season, 27 points were enough for Hamburg to win 16th place and enter the relegational playoff, I´m pretty certain you will need more this year.

Dortmund seems stabilized after all the domestic trouble they went through so far this year, but 29 points at the moment mean that they are not out of the battle against relegation yet. They are six points away from the danger zone (relegation), but still would have nine points to catch up.

Werder Bremen - somewhat of a team of the second half of the campaign, winning as many points as the top two Bayern and Wolfsburg - and Hoffenheim (after getting lots of praise in the early parts of the season) are both sitting on 33 points, which still means five points to go for an Euro League spot.

The battle for CL-qualification is shaping up very interestingly: Augsburg (6th), doing amazing work for quite a few years, are tied with Schalke (5th place) and only one point behind fourth place Leverkusen, which would mean a Champions League qualification spot. Gladbach in third place hasn´t pulled away yet, they sit at 41 points.

Bayern profited from a Wolfsburg loss and horrible refereeing, turning a 0-1 deficit at Hannover into a 3-1 win. Bayern´s 61 points mean they are eleven ahead Wolfsburg. The form they have shown over the last three domestic games however aren´t very promising for their Champions League campaign. It will be interesting to see if their is a different showing on European level.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Reise - It's funny seeing how long (or short) Paderborn's win streak lasted. If I recall correctly they had a strong series of wins early in the season and then just sort of feel off to the point they're at the very bottom end.

Bayern will be fine in the CL. Next match is at home and it's a huge one they should win, but then again that's what was expected from them last time around and it they seemed to have held back and struggled a bit on offense.

Reise - It's funny seeing how long (or short) Paderborn's win streak lasted. If I recall correctly they had a strong series of wins early in the season and then just sort of feel off to the point they're at the very bottom end.

Bayern will be fine in the CL. Next match is at home and it's a huge one they should win, but then again that's what was expected from them last time around and it they seemed to have held back and struggled a bit on offense.

The Paderborn win streak was one of those common "surprisingly promoted clubs" phenomena. They were pretty fast out of the gate, got some troubled opponents in the first few games and thanks to that got a few wins under their belt. Everything turned into a big party for a while up until they lost big to a team that was bottom tier at the moment (0-4 to Werder on matchday 13 it was, they haven´t been the same since. Right now they loose to teams they are on level with. Nobody expects them to beat Bayern, Gladbach and teams like that, but getting pummeled by Mainz and losing to Hamburg at home by three goals are losses that hurt. Of course there is still lots of time and 30 points to be won, but it´s not going to be easy for Paderborn. It never was to begin with, so maybe that will turn out to be the club´s biggest strength.

I think Bayern should beat Donezk, but over the last three matches (Cologne, Hannover in the Bundesliga, Braunschweig in the cup) they looked sluggish. Set pieces, Neuer and at times the refereeing seemed to be the only thing to work from the get go. Of course, when you are up 1-0 after a great 45th minute free kick against a lower division team or get awarded debatable free kicks at the edge of a box and gifted a penalty against opposition that was testing you, the match will be way easier at one point, but it´s nothing to rely on. Especially considering there are stronger teams than Donezk with actual home games.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Well done PSG.  Out goes the miserable dick Mourinho and his merry band of dicks. 

Cabaye rubbing it into Costa's face was nice.

Guest Edwin

So the transfer rumors for Pogba link him with possibly staying at Juve or a move to PSG, Man United, Man City or Chelsea.

If you had tomorrow (and not today) in the shit hitting the fan on YSv2.0 hosting a soccer team (complete with whining from Yankee players), YOU LOSE! I can't wait to see the "we are too good to support a team who plays in Jersey" types if they end up having to groundshare with us in Harrison.

And then there's this.

sod-couple.jpg

The best part of Mike carping about NYCFC? Not only is he a season ticket-holder for them, he signed up before I did. :D

Wasn't really carping about them, just hate the "We can't support Metro because they play in Jersey" types who are a blight on humanity. Also, I knew this was going to happen with the Yankee players and their fans bitching about sawker ruining their field (apparently they are made of less stern stuff than the Yankee teams who shared the old stadium with the old Generals in the late 60's). MLS rushed into this while ignoring just about every precondition they had for an expansion franchise because they saw $$$ and it's come back to bite them in the ass. Sad part is that even with as bad a job as the City people have done and all the mistakes they have made the initial signs have been far more positive than I expected. Actually, here's a solution I can see happening: team reaches an agreement with the Wilponzis to play at Citi Field, because they don't give a flying fuck about their team or fans so they'll gladly take the money. BTW major bonus points to you if you can screen capture my name on the STH scarf :-) . With City at this point I am almost hoping they are a great success to the point they embarass the Red Bull morons into selling the team.

• Like 1

So, they've announced the teams for the Asia Cup pre-season tournament. Singapore XI vs Arsenal, Everton vs Stoke City.

Stoke vs Arsenal as a pre-season friendly. Who would have thought it?

I actually just thought of this: NYCFC should try a ground-share with Columbia at Wien Stadium. On the smallish side (17K) to be sure and there's no real parking, but they could easily port in temporary seating and the sightlines would be a million times better plus you have beaucoup public transit options between subway, bus and Metro North all a few blocks away.