DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] WELCOME TO MARCH MADNESS 2015~!

RIPPA

I realized that I was stressing these fucking brackets for no good reason. So here we go. This first post is basically me cut & pasting Jae's stuff from last year. (With some tweaks). Brackets and pick'em will eventually be in the 2nd post.

DVDVR MARCH MADNESS 6

March Madness started in 2009. I think. It was a bit messy with more emphasis on madness. In the second year it became the sort of Wrestler of the Year competition though it really isn't.

For the 2nd straight year, we include the world. (The first 4 years were only US/Canada folks). I tried to include a good mix without letting my old man biases dictate who was in it. The WWE is still heavily represented as there are like 23 or 24 guys from there but I want to force y'all to watch some other guys too.

I know that a lot of you haven’t seen shit from a big chunk of these folks. I ask that you at least give each unknown a shot before voting. A match or two isn’t asking much and who knows maybe you’ll find something you can watch when your company of choice starts putting Randy Orton on TV.

RULES
Generally speaking one votes based on a wrestler's performances over the last year. People are allowed to argue in favor or against any wrestler, as well as post any video evidence needed to back up said arguments. However don't take shit personally - this is all in good fun, and any trolling should be recognized as such. 

IMPORTANT: If you take things too far, or become too much of a nuisance - you'll be getting a time out. So if you're trolling and having a laugh- don't go over the line. If you're being trolled, wake the fuck up. Above all: Don't be an idiot. 

HALL OF CHAMPIONS

2010: Rey Mysterio

2011: Daniel Bryan

2012: Daniel Bryan

2013: Daniel Bryan

2014: Antonio Cesaro

*It should be noted that CM Punk was runner-up every the first 4 years. Daniel Bryan runner-up last year.

POLLS OPEN MONDAY, MARCH 2, 2015

• Like 4

Here are the brackets. Please know that I dropped the names into a randomizer and then ran it 20 times to mix up the names. 31 of the 32 matchups came about totally randomly. I only rigged one. I did move a couple of matches just to avoid all WWE brackets but the rest are the real deal (which might be disappointing to some). All spelling errors are my own since I have fat fingers.

THE BRACKETS

PROMO AZTECA

John Cena vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Rampage Brown vs. Hideo Itami (KENTA) - 3/2

Kota Ibushi vs. Chris Masters - 3/3

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Minoru Suzuki - 3/4

Alberto el Patron vs. Drew Gulak - 3/2

Dolph Ziggler vs. Dean Allmark

Jimmy Havoc vs. Black Terry - 3/4

Hechicero vs. Sami Zayn - 3/4

HAMADA UWF

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Timothy Thatcher - 3/4

AR Fox vs. Titus O'Neil - 3/3

Ryback vs. Finn Balor (Prince Devitt)

Deam Ambrose vs. Yuji Okabayashi - 3/2

Luke Harper vs. Jun Akiyama - 3/3

Negro Casas vs. KUSHIDA - 3/3

Jay Lethal vs. The Panther (Cachorro)

Virus vs. Grado

WING

Dave Mastiff vs. The Big Show - 3/3

Tyson Kidd vs. Seth Rollins

Adrian Neville vs. Pentagon Jr. - 3/4

Cesaro vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 3/3

Kohei Sato vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - 3/2

AJ Styles vs. Riccohet (Prince Puma) - 3/2

Kevin Owens vs. Randy Orton

Biff Busick vs. Cavernario

GAEA

Kazuchika Okada vs. Dragon Lee - 3/2

Roman Reigns vs. Ultimo Guerrero - 3/2

Drew Galloway vs. Bray Wyatt - 3/4

Tyler Breeze vs. Goldust - 3/4

Big Ryck vs. Rusev - 3/3

Rush vs. Hirooki Goto

Tomoaki Honma vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Brock Lesnar vs. Daniel Bryan

PICK EM LINK: http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=457330 (Assuming I did that right)

PICKS DUE BY 9 AM EST - MONDAY, MARCH 2

If not for Bryan/Lesnar, I would have guessed that Cena/Tanahashi would have been the rigged one. 

Having to vote in Bryan/Lesnar might make Jraq's head explode like that dude in Scanners

Looking at that, I think I need to get a :

"The Case for Ultimo Guerrero" post up.

He's got the Atlantis match but also:

Ultimo Guerrero/Euforia/Niebla Roja vs Mistico/Volador Jr./Valiente 2/15

Negro Navarro/Trauma 1/Trauma 2 v. Ultimo Guerrero/Magnifico/Rey Hechicero Cara Lucha 1/31

Rush vs UG - 10/31

and

Ultimo Guerrero/Blue Panther v. Black Terry/Solar CMLL Sanchez 11/15

Unfortunately, I just haven't seen any of those yet. 

A couple of random notes since I am sure folks will ask

- I softened my stance on the "injury" rule - hence why Randy Orton did make the field. This is mainly because I realized that by the letter of my own law I would have had to have left Rush out. But since he is booked the first week of March and Randy Orton just returned so my conscious is clear.

- Ultimo Guerrero took Blue Panther's spot as grizzled old lucha veteran.

- Grado took the "comedy TNA worker spot" from Rockstar Spud. I adore Spud but I knew I would have been wasting everyone's time. (I probably am with Grado too).

- Cena/Tanahashi happened naturally and I almost wet myself when I did. I just moved the match to the very first matchup because I figured we might as well start and end with a bang.

- I am going to try and avoid matchups over the weekend but I can't promise that yet. Mainly since I haven't fully worked out the voting schedule yet.

I made my picks based on a weird amalgamation of how I'd vote and how I think the voting will actually go.

My final four ended up as Zayn/Nakamura and Rollins/Rusev. I'm fairly confident about the first three, but I don't know if Rusev can get past Brock or Bryan. Hell, if enough people take the time to watch matches, he might not get past Rush...

- Grado took the "comedy TNA worker spot" from Rockstar Spud. I adore Spud but I knew I would have been wasting everyone's time. (I probably am with Grado too).

Well, yeah. He's up against Virus who had Busca coach stuff, more good singles matches than anyone in CMLL, a bunch of trios matches against the Panther family, and some awesome indy stuff.

• Like 1

I wish that I could get into trios matches done lucha-style. When I see wrestling from Mexico, my favorite stuff is always when two guys have a bloody singles-match brawl. I have a very hard time enjoying other stuff that isn't in that vein, and it sucks. I know I'm missing out. 

Crap, Ryback vs Balor is a tough one to call. 

EDIT: My bracket is hilarious. I didn't do one last year because it led to me making some bad personal choices and I'd rather cause havoc in an honest way and not just for the sake of my bracket. I expect to bomb out early. 

I have Zayn vs Rusev in the finals.

Bryan had HHH's best match ever and Reigns's best match ever...

...but Brock is a force of nature. Plus he was in the best WWE triple threat ever. 

I can live with either guy winning.