DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-23-15

MGFanJay

I couldn't work out if the Heyman promo was meant to be sincere or not.

It wasn't.

Once again, I think Roman is just fine, despite some of the protests here. I do have to agree though, that Orton agonizing over a blind tag instead of just using the tag match to set up an RKO on Rollins was fucking stupid.

• Like 1

You're all overlooking the fact that the ultimate sleazebag con man manager is the one saying this. It's not Vince McMahon in an earnings call here. This is a heel heeling and not anything more than that.

It's ineffective heeling though, because it doesn't make you want to see the match, it just makes you roll your eyes and with Reigns was one of the guys he's saying he'd beat.

• Like 2

It's what Heyman does. Talking about the longest steaks at mania other top guys had, talking about how king Cena had been on top... Build Brock's opponent up while promising that Brock is still better.

• Like 1

So...what happened with Brock? He was supposed to show up tonight, right? I didn't just imagine that notification from the WWE app, did I?

I never got a notification that Lesnar was supposed to be there. Just about the Bushwhackers, and the 24 hour preview of the Network.

You're all overlooking the fact that the ultimate sleazebag con man manager is the one saying this. It's not Vince McMahon in an earnings call here. This is a heel heeling and not anything more than that.

Seems to me the more heelish thing to do would be run down the babyface, not tell the crowd he's better than all their favorite wrestlers.

Heyman doesn't really do "mind games" - pretty much everything he's said the last year and a half or so has come to fruition. So when the endgame is Reigns inevitably defeating "the one in 21-1" I think we're supposed to think "Oh shit, Heyman was right. He beat Brock and he really is as good as all those guys."

Regardless if Heyman was serious or not(he's been putting Roman over hard since the night after the Rumble) they had Bryan come out and call Reigns Sir. lmfao. The end game has to be Heyman turning on Brock to side with Roman.

Playing the long con makes zero fucking sense for Orton. He should've come back a house of fire, and run through all the shitty ass Authority one by one until he finally gets to Rollins at Mania. It would be like Ambrose coming back from the cinderblock curb stomp acting like him and Seth were cool.

Oh for crying out loud Heyman was facetiously mocking Reigns based off his reputation as the hand-picked "next big thing".

Also, I enjoy the old schoolness of Stardust reacting to fans chanting his real name like Iron Mike Sharpe getting "Wimp!" chants from the crowd.

It's what Heyman does. Talking about the longest steaks at mania other top guys had, talking about how king Cena had been on top... Build Brock's opponent up while promising that Brock is still better.

But if he was being disingenuous like some are saying he really wasn't building him up. If he was being serious it did Roman no favors comparing a guy with zero singles titles to the all time greats. It just shined a light on how Roman is not even close to those guys. I thought Reign's comeback to Heyman was pathetic. If you can't raise your game opposite Paul f'n Heyman then you've got nothing.

• Like 1

I couldn't work out if the Heyman promo was meant to be sincere or not.

It wasn't.

Maybe it's just that it's late. I was wondering if it was meant to play differently to different sections of the audience - like, if you take it as sincere, it puts over Reigns, if insincere it doesn't really achieve anything, it's just snark and does nothing for anyone involved. Is the audience seen as a binary split between gullible and snarky?

It can be anything to anyone, depending on how someone takes it.  Which I imagine was the point.  Maybe it's this, maybe it's that--with Heyman, who knows?  It can go in several directions, and that can create interest.

But folks gotta give a dissertation-length moan and groan about it instead of accepting it for the likely open-ended promo it probably was.

• Like 1

So...what happened with Brock? He was supposed to show up tonight, right? I didn't just imagine that notification from the WWE app, did I?

I never got a notification that Lesnar was supposed to be there. Just about the Bushwhackers, and the 24 hour preview of the Network.

Speaking of which.......last night made we want to get rid of the WWE app.  I was out for the evening and was smart enough to nor check my Facebook feed or anything so I could come home and watch the PPV unspoiled.  Completely forgetting that the app sends results out in real time.  So a when I glanced at my phone before heading home I saw notifications spoiling a lot of it.  Thanks. 

But since this is the Raw thread.....thoughts on The Bushwhackers?  Who inducts them? 

And count me in the people who see that Heyman was trolling.  And that segment overall had a strong promo from Bryan, the always good heyman, and Reigns actually sounding comfortable and less forced, so overall I'd call it a positive. 

Yeah I kinda almost found myself defending it because of how annoying the Scott Keith-esque levels of moan-and-groan get here sometimes, but truth be told it really wasn't one of Heyman's finer moments. Especially considering that it followed up a really great Daniel Bryan promo that got across exactly what it needed to to progress the story along.

That Heyman promo was something else, and not in a good way. Reigns would beat Austin, Rock and Cena? That's so over the top that even as head over heels for Reigns as Vince apparently is, I can't imagine him scripting some shit like that. I have no clue what the fuck Heyman was doing there.

I'm gonna get all FSW here and mention that The Rock listens to about 30 seconds of Paul before he Rock Bottoms him.  Austin listens to maybe a little more so he can have a few more sips before he stunners him.  WHY CAN"T THEY GET THIS PART RIGHT????

• Like 1

Imagine Sami Zayn coming back after the beating he received by Kevin Owens, putting him out of action, only to be buddies again after Regal mediates the showdown between the two. The Orton stuff is absolute fucking garbage, I really liked Orton's return and the START of his promo, he showed fire and intensity and I could really get behind him.. until, around 3 minutes in when the Authority came out and supposedly manipulated him back into negotiations to rejoin them. Rollins nowhere to be seen. Ok, fair enough. I'm sure it's just a ploy until Orton eventually can get him alone in the ring later on in the show... but, the next thing they're all backstage, Orton and Rollins looking like goofballs standing next to each other, they shake hands, just cringe worthy. That's before all the shenanigans later on during the tag match. The crowd didn't know what to do when Orton was on the offense in the tag match. Orton looked like such a goof all night long. This was a real opportunity to put the rocket pack (cheers, Steve) on him and really build some serious momentum to a potential title challenge down the line for a heel Reigns or something. I understand what they're trying to do, Gregg, but it doesn't work with me, fuck all this subtle shit, Orton should have been destroying everyone in his path to get to Rollins.

• Like 1

Having Daniel Bryan co-sign Reigns really goes to show you how much WWE sees or at least acknowledges how over Bryan is.

I also dug the subtle Triple H acting job tonight. He was so disinterested and silent. Sting is fucking with him and can't focus on anything else.

And yeah, Heyman was heeling it guys. No one believes that, that's why he said it.

Having Daniel Bryan co-sign Reigns really goes to show you how much WWE sees or at least acknowledges how over Bryan is.

I also dug the subtle Triple H acting job tonight. He was so disinterested and silent. Sting is fucking with him and can't focus on anything else.

And yeah, Heyman was heeling it guys. No one believes that, that's why he said it.

If nobody believes it, then what's the point? What is it accomplishing? Who is it helping?

If nobody believes it, then what's the point? What is it accomplishing? Who is it helping?

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE IT! THAT IS THE POINT OF A HEEL LYING TO YOUR FACE! AHHHHHH!!!!