DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-23-15

MGFanJay

Remember in Office Space how, when Peter gets hypnotized, afterwards he's in this blissful state of not giving a fuck? That's me right now. I watched Raw last night, and nothing moved me. I didn't like it. I didn't dislike it. My mental needle only quivered once: Daniel Bryan blind-tagging in and Roman laughing it off. I laughed along with them. Why so serious, right?

It's absolutely liberating. Bryan a Mania afterthought? Whatever. WWE still doing everything they can to make Reigns a main-eventer and crowds still not buying it? Hey, cool. Orton's booking sucks? Eh, it's Orton. That was gonna be the case sooner or late, right? The never-ending Raw thread battle between people who don't like what's happening and people who don't like that other people don't like what's happening? Can't be bothered.

Even NXT isn't really tempting me to renew my Network subscription which expires today. I'll miss that, but the folks I'm watching there will probably just get ruined on the main roster when they get called up. Maybe give NJPW World a try?

I'm not far behind. Sunday night I couldn't even muster up any interest in watching Fastlane.  Out of obligations I turned it on for the main, This would have been unthinkable a few months back. As I was sitting watching the Oscars with my wife she was as confused as I was. 

When Bryan lost, it really didn't bother me. I no longer care.  Maybe I'm finally released from this unhealthy wrestling obsession. 

At some point this board began to resemble a group therapy session for the recovering wrestling obsessed.

I can understand why that would get tiresome for certain people.  

Well I watched for the first time in a few weeks and thought the Orton stuff was strange. I think the idea of him going through guys to get to Rollins is the best route to go but they chose this other way so, yeah...he's kinda boring again. Alot of stuff on this show wasn't BAD it was just strange. Nothing happening at the end of the main. The strange Reigns-Heyman promo. Ascension being played up as undefeated to lose to the PTP with no fanfare. Just a strange show that left me feeling how it ended...flat. 

Remember in Office Space how, when Peter gets hypnotized, afterwards he's in this blissful state of not giving a fuck? That's me right now. I watched Raw last night, and nothing moved me. I didn't like it. I didn't dislike it. My mental needle only quivered once: Daniel Bryan blind-tagging in and Roman laughing it off. I laughed along with them. Why so serious, right?

It's absolutely liberating. Bryan a Mania afterthought? Whatever. WWE still doing everything they can to make Reigns a main-eventer and crowds still not buying it? Hey, cool. Orton's booking sucks? Eh, it's Orton. That was gonna be the case sooner or late, right? The never-ending Raw thread battle between people who don't like what's happening and people who don't like that other people don't like what's happening? Can't be bothered.

Even NXT isn't really tempting me to renew my Network subscription which expires today. I'll miss that, but the folks I'm watching there will probably just get ruined on the main roster when they get called up. Maybe give NJPW World a try?

I'm not far behind. Sunday night I couldn't even muster up any interest in watching Fastlane.  Out of obligations I turned it on for the main, This would have been unthinkable a few months back. As I was sitting watching the Oscars with my wife she was as confused as I was. 

When Bryan lost, it really didn't bother me. I no longer care.  Maybe I'm finally released from this unhealthy wrestling obsession. 

At some point this board began to resemble a group therapy session for the recovering wrestling obsessed.

I can understand why that would get tiresome for certain people.  

See I watched Cena-Rusev and then switched to Walking Dead. Bryan-Reigns went exactly how I suspected it would go and regardless I never had desire to see it in the first place so I didn't watch. Maybe I'll watch the match on the app or something but anymore I'm just kinda feeling apathetic on the product as a whole. 

Someone in this mess a minute ago mentioned that they probably don't want Orton to be hotter than Reigns so they didn't pull the trigger there and that is one of the few sane things said so far. Everybody knows its coming (and I don't just want RKOs all around I want my PUNT) so no point wasting it in a match with two guys they want big face heat on for Mania... it just looks super fucking lame how they did it. 

It's almost like we've been down this path before with Gregg and then Gregg said he wasn't going to comment on Raw anymore.

I've been thinking this too. What's needed now is someone with the pathological investment and determination to scour the board incessantly for quotes to shore up this belief.

Which, ironically, describes Gregg.

• Like 1

*checks to see if the board's "nice guy" is back to talk down to anyone who disagrees with him while demanding that everyone watch something exactly the way he does or else they're big dumb meanies*

Yep, looks like a RAW thread again.

• Like 1

I think Orton is the perfect example of this: On NXT, he would have come back RKOing everything in sight. Some people might argue, "Well, they have to fill three hours on RAW, so Orton couldn't just do that. They had to draw the story out," but this is a show that gave a women's tag match about sixty seconds, so I don't think that argument works.

"Holding pattern" booking never works. If a plane tries to stay in a holding pattern indefinitely, it eventually runs out of gas, stalls out, and plummets to the ground. Same applies to wrestlers. 

Is it a holding pattern or reintroducing the story? You have to do something to refresh in the audience's mind what the issue is at hand. And now you have the whole "Randy playing mind games with Seth" part at hand. It's the inverse of what Seth did to Rollins when he was worming his way into HHH/Steph's favor.

In the past, the commentator would simply re-introduce the story by reminding the audience "this is for when they put him out X months ago in that dastardly attack!" Simple, effective, and the crowd gets catharsis from seeing the guy just come in and start beating dudes up. 

Re: Cristobal's view. I get that. I personally love NXT too much to not watch it weekly + the specials. The NXT Championship and NXT Women's Championship are genuinely important to me. Honestly, they're the most important titles to me in North American wrestling by a fair amount. Sure, those guys will get booked into the ground on the big show, but right now, they're all competing for the richest prizes in wrestling, and I want to keep up with that.

I actually still do have the Network, which is good for Vince's bottom line, but probably hurts me because I watch 1996 Nitro or a random mid-'80s Mid-South or 1997 RAW and realize just how much shittier the current Thanksgiving sides are than 80% of the stuff on Vince's own network. 

I didn't watch Fast Lane and had no desire to, though I did go back and check out Cena/Rusev on account of this board. I'm skipping on WM, which I think will probably be WM XI-level bad. Oddly, what seemed like the best deal about the Network (super-cheap current PPVs) is the least-useful thing about it to me now.

I liked the show. Thought the 2 big talking segments were very well done. Reigns came off great with his words, Bryan did a good job bringing his promo all the way around and I enjoyed Heyman's piece too. Cena/Rusev/Lana was an awesome promo segment. Lana was great as always, Cena brought the fire and passion with one of his really great promos and then Rusev came right back and delivered just as good. Loving Rusev's promo style lately. Like the IC title 4 way program with Truth getting a chance and found the tag titles rematch really good before the finish. The divas match was of course a shame, nice to see Emma for 30 seconds. I actually like how the Mania card is shaping up top to bottom so far.

forgot to add, Bryan tagging himself in and Reigns laughing it off was a great touch, loved Cole putting it over like these two buddies are doing it right and having fun.

• Like 1

Way too many people around here are learning to stop worrying and love the bomb. It's disconcerting.

I don't love the bomb, (or the stuffing instead of potatoes, for that matter.) I've just come to terms with the fact that the WWE is run by a septuagenarian lunatic who thinks he isn't a wrestling promoter. And I can't change that. Grant me the serenity, etc.

Re: Cristobal's view. I get that. I personally love NXT too much to not watch it weekly + the specials. The NXT Championship and NXT Women's Championship are genuinely important to me. Honestly, they're the most important titles to me in North American wrestling by a fair amount. Sure, those guys will get booked into the ground on the big show, but right now, they're all competing for the richest prizes in wrestling, and I want to keep up with that.

Registering displeasure doesn't work. Registering apathy won't, either, but I can move on to something else.

See I think the Divas match being short is leading to something. Emma failed as a partner. Next week another random diva fails. Paige has to go to the big guns, being either her former bitter rival AJ Lee or her momma

Or former NXT rival Charlotte?

Paige bringing out Charlotte as her mystery partner at Mania would go over like an f-bomb in church.

Meltzer and pwinsider are both reporting that Lesnar walked out before the taping was over last night, and was pissed about something. The road to WrestleMania is a rocky one this year!

Paige bringing out Charlotte as her mystery partner at Mania would go over like an f-bomb in church.

Meltzer and pwinsider are both reporting that Lesnar walked out before the taping was over last night, and was pissed about something. The road to WrestleMania is a rocky one this year!

• Like 2

Curt McGirt, on 24 Feb 2015 - 3:11 PM, said:

Someone in this mess a minute ago mentioned that they probably don't want Orton to be hotter than Reigns so they didn't pull the trigger there and that is one of the few sane things said so far. Everybody knows its coming (and I don't just want RKOs all around I want my PUNT) so no point wasting it in a match with two guys they want big face heat on for Mania... it just looks super fucking lame how they did it. 

There was talk of that being the reason on another board, and I tend to agree with it.