DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-23-15

MGFanJay

Oh man, Gregg, I love you, but you aren't some sage that has crucial life wisdom for us. You're just a dude that rationalizes poor booking decisions on a bad wrestling show. I appreciate that you enjoy this show, but it's pretty clear that you are in a minority, and I think reducing why to "People just like to hate things" isn't very logical at all. 

It's also incredibly condescending that he's telling us how we should be fans.

• Like 3

Yeah, Orton, before he took a break, was going crazy and had an edge again. He was actually fun to watch. Then he returns, with thunder sound effects in his entrance music, and we're back to where we were 2 or 3 weeks before he left.

I think Orton is the perfect example of this: On NXT, he would have come back RKOing everything in sight. Some people might argue, "Well, they have to fill three hours on RAW, so Orton couldn't just do that. They had to draw the story out," but this is a show that gave a women's tag match about sixty seconds, so I don't think that argument works.

"Holding pattern" booking never works. If a plane tries to stay in a holding pattern indefinitely, it eventually runs out of gas, stalls out, and plummets to the ground. Same applies to wrestlers. 

It's just my opinion, but I would prefer him to come back all crazed, looking for revenge against the guy who put him out of commission for months, as opposed to trying to re-boil a pot of water.

The motherfucker is already boiling and is ready to go. No need to take that shit off the burner.

Do you think there would be a bigger pop had he RKO'd Seth on RAW or when he eventually and inevitably turns in a few weeks to set-up the Mania match?

It's not like we're building up to Austin hitting the stunner on McMahon here. Orton ALREADY RKO'd Rollins back in November. I mean, this exact scenario that WWE is setting up literally already played out four months ago. Orton was wavering in The Authority, they convinced him to stay, but he finally snapped and RKO'd Rollins, then attacked him again, then they wrestled a match, then he gets jumped and put out of action for four months by The Authority.

Why do we need to hit rewind and do that whole thing over again? He doesn't need to "inevitably turn" because HE ALREADY TURNED. He came back as a super over babyface. This is just lazy ass illogical writing by the WWE.

Orton was the most fucked up booking of the show last night, but everyone wants to argue about Roman Reigns being ready to face Lesnar. Orton should be RKO's Noble, Mercury, Kane and Big Show every show between here and Mania, where he can finally get revenge on Rollins. Instead, they have him playing nice with Rollins for some reason.

Do you think there would be a bigger pop had he RKO'd Seth on RAW or when he eventually and inevitably turns in a few weeks to set-up the Mania match?

My prediction: Randy RKOs everyone in sight BUT Seth, who keeps worming his way out or whatever, to save it for the Mania match.

It's a build. Randy just came back. Build up the tension in his story. If he came back and RKOd Seth last night, what comes next? They'd probably have Seth try and curb Randy again but fail and eat an RKO, so Randy would be in the "lead" headed into their match. I don't want that. I want the returning guy to have to fight from underneath in at least some capacity.

I think Orton is the perfect example of this: On NXT, he would have come back RKOing everything in sight. Some people might argue, "Well, they have to fill three hours on RAW, so Orton couldn't just do that. They had to draw the story out," but this is a show that gave a women's tag match about sixty seconds, so I don't think that argument works.

"Holding pattern" booking never works. If a plane tries to stay in a holding pattern indefinitely, it eventually runs out of gas, stalls out, and plummets to the ground. Same applies to wrestlers. 

Is it a holding pattern or reintroducing the story? You have to do something to refresh in the audience's mind what the issue is at hand. And now you have the whole "Randy playing mind games with Seth" part at hand. It's the inverse of what Seth did to Rollins when he was worming his way into HHH/Steph's favor.

The problem with this Orton/Authority booking (aside from the fact that it's counterintuitive, as Craig has covered) is that they have never shown us why being in the Authority is an advantage of any kind. Does Randy Orton get more title shots or make more money if he's teaming up with HHH and Stephanie? It was the same problem with Ryback during Survivor Series. "Join us! Your reward will be standing behind Seth Rollins and helping him win things, despite the fact he just spent two weeks cowering in fear at your mere presence!" The Corporation was always shown as a way for heels to get ahead quickly, and a way for the already dominant face to cement himself and become a champion or make oodles of money. The Authority tries to pull people in by promising.....I dunno, job security? It's stupid. I think people would be ok with this whole segment/angle if Steph had flat out tried to pay Orton off or something. Then we understand that money talks, and Orton has a history of being a jackass. When he finally does turn, it becomes a cool moment because he said "You know what? Fuck this. No amount of money is worth holding the camera during Seth Rollins dick pics" and the crowd goes nuts. Instead, we have to fill in the blanks ourselves, and we are left thinking that Randy Orton is either doing something for no reason, or he is playing the long game, which makes no sense because he has demonstrated repeatedly that he can RKO everyone and then walk off like a bad ass. He doesn't need to play the long game. Not everything needs to have twists and turns.  

• Like 1

Remember in Office Space how, when Peter gets hypnotized, afterwards he's in this blissful state of not giving a fuck? That's me right now. I watched Raw last night, and nothing moved me. I didn't like it. I didn't dislike it. My mental needle only quivered once: Daniel Bryan blind-tagging in and Roman laughing it off. I laughed along with them. Why so serious, right?

It's absolutely liberating. Bryan a Mania afterthought? Whatever. WWE still doing everything they can to make Reigns a main-eventer and crowds still not buying it? Hey, cool. Orton's booking sucks? Eh, it's Orton. That was gonna be the case sooner or late, right? The never-ending Raw thread battle between people who don't like what's happening and people who don't like that other people don't like what's happening? Can't be bothered.

Even NXT isn't really tempting me to renew my Network subscription which expires today. I'll miss that, but the folks I'm watching there will probably just get ruined on the main roster when they get called up. Maybe give NJPW World a try?

• Like 1

At the same time Randy's finally learning. If he RKO's Rollins there are at least 4 guys who are going to kick his ass (J&J, Kane, Show). So he either needs to get them away from Rollins or get them to not care about Rollins fate. My guess is he's going for the latter of the two. My guess is Bryan will try and goad Rollins into putting up his MITB briefcase. Rollins wisely says no. Steph wants to get rid of Bryan so she books a triple threat with Rollins, Bryan, and Randy Orton. Orton gives assurances he will make sure Rollins leaves with the briefcase. Mania comes around, Rollins goes to curb stomp Bryan, RKO out of nowhere, Orton covers Rollins and is the new MITB holder.

At the same time Randy's finally learning. If he RKO's Rollins there are at least 4 guys who are going to kick his ass (J&J, Kane, Show). So he either needs to get them away from Rollins or get them to not care about Rollins fate. My guess is he's going for the latter of the two. My guess is Bryan will try and goad Rollins into putting up his MITB briefcase. Rollins wisely says no. Steph wants to get rid of Bryan so she books a triple threat with Rollins, Bryan, and Randy Orton. Orton gives assurances he will make sure Rollins leaves with the briefcase. Mania comes around, Rollins goes to curb stomp Bryan, RKO out of nowhere, Orton covers Rollins and is the new MITB holder.

Well that sounds like a fucking terrible match.

They did a helluva job killing any interest in Orton's return.  Don't want to fantasy book, but there's many different way they could have done that better.

What annoyed me much more was how the Divas match was extrelemy short.  Some people are quick to dismiss anything online, but I sure as shit believe it when I read the Divas are pissed they don't get time.  Brie Bella said in an interview that if she was in NXT she'd not want to be called up (per the Observer)  Given that, Vince/whoever else goes all "Haha, fuck you, one minute match!" and that's it.  What sucks is is that you just know Vince isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  It's silly to think a mutiny is going to happen or make a difference.  But considering how many there walk on eggshells they're going to just grumble to each other and not say a word.  It's sad.  If I'm Charlotte or Sasha I'd fight to stay in NXT until they get their shit together.

And good on you, Cristobal for that Office Space mindset.  I could go for some that when watching Raw as well.

YOU ARE BURYING D-BRY!!!!!!!!!

It's not like we're building up to Austin hitting the stunner on McMahon here. Orton ALREADY RKO'd Rollins back in November. I mean, this exact scenario that WWE is setting up literally already played out four months ago. Orton was wavering in The Authority, they convinced him to stay, but he finally snapped and RKO'd Rollins, then attacked him again, then they wrestled a match, then he gets jumped and put out of action for four months by The Authority.

Why do we need to hit rewind and do that whole thing over again? He doesn't need to "inevitably turn" because HE ALREADY TURNED. He came back as a super over babyface. This is just lazy ass illogical writing by the WWE.

I agree. I think this is just another case of WWE overcomplicating something that should be so simple. Randy's such a gifted athlete but his problem seems to be motivation. His psycho and man on a mission characters are pretty much the only incarnations that are interesting. 

Remember in Office Space how, when Peter gets hypnotized, afterwards he's in this blissful state of not giving a fuck? That's me right now. I watched Raw last night, and nothing moved me. I didn't like it. I didn't dislike it. My mental needle only quivered once: Daniel Bryan blind-tagging in and Roman laughing it off. I laughed along with them. Why so serious, right?

It's absolutely liberating. Bryan a Mania afterthought? Whatever. WWE still doing everything they can to make Reigns a main-eventer and crowds still not buying it? Hey, cool. Orton's booking sucks? Eh, it's Orton. That was gonna be the case sooner or late, right? The never-ending Raw thread battle between people who don't like what's happening and people who don't like that other people don't like what's happening? Can't be bothered.

Even NXT isn't really tempting me to renew my Network subscription which expires today. I'll miss that, but the folks I'm watching there will probably just get ruined on the main roster when they get called up. Maybe give NJPW World a try?

Martin Heidegger would call this releasement. :)