DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-23-15

MGFanJay

Yeah I mean this obvious insincere promo also had complete facts like Heyman taking Roman in Rumble and taking him over Bryan just because. Let's consider who's writing this, and let's consider the fact that he has no f'n clue how to get a babyface over in front of his audience in the year 2015. Most of the guys he tries to ship down the card end up more over than the ones he focuses on. If Vince started paying attention to Sandow I'm sure he could kill his reaction in a month or so.

Guys, don't worry Wrestlemania sells itself, everything is fine. All is well!

So, they managed to make me interested in Orton's return only to kill all that interest one night later. Wow.

I suppose Barrett vs Ambrose vs Ziggler vs R-Truth could be fun, given the personalities involved.

Heyman's promo was the wrestling equivalent of Marc Antony 'but Brutus is an honorable man' speech from Julius Caesar. The problem was that speech was designed to get Brutus heel heat, while this should've been designed to get Reigns a babyface reaction.

I did laugh at the crowds righteous indignation at Roman being compared to Bruno. 'How dare he say Reigns is better than some dude I've literally never seen wrestle!'

All that being said, when Reigns told Heyman to stand right here, I thought he was going to destroy him, and they segment was saved. He did not.

• Like 2

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the tag to Kidd that all of the announcers apparently missed.

Not much of a GIF guy, but the 85-year-old booing The Authority at the beginning of the show was kinda funny.

Dear WWE  stop saying Daniel Bryan and John Cena wont be on Wrestlemania.  Fucking Curtis Axle is confirmed for the show, I think those other guys will be booked. Jesus I try to defend this garbage and rationalize it, for my own enjoyment at least, but they insist on doing shit in the dumbest way possible.  The fans were hot for Orton, so instead of letting him RKO everything in sight they do this stupid rejoining the authority garbage.  They'll drag it out just long enough to dull his heat and then they'll pull the trigger. 

Did anyone notice Darren Young almost kill Konner/Conner/Con-Air with that overhead throw.  Yikes.  

• Like 1

Dear WWE  stop saying Daniel Bryan and John Cena wont be on Wrestlemania.  Fucking Curtis Axle is confirmed for the show, I think those other guys will be booked. Jesus I try to defend this garbage and rationalize it, for my own enjoyment at least, but they insist on doing shit in the dumbest way possible.  The fans were hot for Orton, so instead of letting him RKO everything in sight they do this stupid rejoining the authority garbage.  They'll drag it out just long enough to dull his heat and then they'll pull the trigger. 

Did anyone notice Darren Young almost kill Konner/Conner/Con-Air with that overhead throw.  Yikes.  

What IS Bryan doing at Mania? He seems to have no storyline that can lead to a match right now. 

What IS Bryan doing at Mania? He seems to have no storyline that can lead to a match right now. 

He's going to be the musical act:

9410%20-%20Team_Hell_No%20The_Dazzler%20

• Like 1

I was 100% sure Bryan was going to turn on Reigns during the main event, so the actual finish was a pleasant surprise. Dug Reigns laughing off Bryan's blind tag... a neat bit of character development for him. He's locked into the Mania main event and this match is completely meaningless in the big picture, so why should he be bothered by Bryan's shenanigans? "Sure, whatever, have fun with that."

Let me take this moment to be a man and publicly apoligize to Gregg for the shit I've given him over the year plus.  He was right, I was wrong.

Wrestling is much more fun to watch when you sit back and ride along instead of getting constantly pissed off and indignant when things don't go your way.  

I'd like to thank the Bryan Zealots for helping me see Gregg's point, and since I've backed off being constantly pissed at the show, I've enjoyed it much more.

This is 100% serious.

A lot of you should lighten the fuck up.

• Like 6

If stuff works for the people it's supposed to work for, then more power to them.

It'd be nice if the naysayers would stop pissing over other's opinions though. It's really become a dick-measuring contest in some perverse way.  And we all know Ebbie and I will win that contest in a walk.

No one is saying anyone has to like it, or can't take some issue with it.  Most of us agree stuff could be more cohesive and better written. But some folks just get caught up in complaining. I've heard of hatewatching, but the constant drama is masochistic.

A lot of you should lighten the fuck up.

Shouldn't you lighten up? I've noticed a lot of your replies seem to be anti-Bryan fan troll-posts, which is just as bad as the "I want it my way all the time" posts. 

I agree, wrestling is more fun when you sit back and don't stress too much, but you seem to go out of your way pretty often to moan about Bryan fans. It's not that serious.

Just funny to observe.

• Like 1

I was 100% sure Bryan was going to turn on Reigns during the main event, so the actual finish was a pleasant surprise. Dug Reigns laughing off Bryan's blind tag... a neat bit of character development for him. He's locked into the Mania main event and this match is completely meaningless in the big picture, so why should he be bothered by Bryan's shenanigans? "Sure, whatever, have fun with that."

I laughed when the announcers put over Reigns as a great guy for laughing off the tag and not reacting like the psycho with the rage disorder.  So basically, Roman deserves props for not turning on his tag partner for practically no reason?  That's setting the bar kinda low.

Count me in with the "Orton is going to RKO Rollins tonight" crowd.  Not sure how to take that segment.  I kinda assumed Orton rejoining the authority was some sort of ploy to get at Rollins.  Are we supposed to think Orton was a heel at the beginning of the show and was seriously considering rejoining the Authority, only to go off again because Rollins blind-tagged him?  That's kinda an odd way to build up a babyface.

Hey it's the PTPs! Don't worry about explaining why they're together again Maggle, we know its because they need SOMEbody to job to pushed super-jobbers Ascension. Darren Young looks weird with a beard.

They were actually pretty thorough in their explanation, for WWE. Titus saved DY last week, DY cut a cautiously optimistic promo on the app saying it could mean a reunion, and the announcers referenced all of that this week, when their reunion match occurred and they kicked off a mini-feud with The Ascension and looked strong by beating them when so many other teams, including Bryan and Reigns, couldn't. This was one of the most well-booked segments on the show.

Speaking of which.......last night made we want to get rid of the WWE app.  I was out for the evening and was smart enough to nor check my Facebook feed or anything so I could come home and watch the PPV unspoiled.  Completely forgetting that the app sends results out in real time.  So a when I glanced at my phone before heading home I saw notifications spoiling a lot of it.  Thanks. 

There is almost certainly a setting that allows you to turn off those notifications, if you have any other reason to keep the app around.

Also, is the crowd booing the thought that Reigns is better than Austin? Or are they booing at Heyman's obviously transparent lie?

Come on, dude.

ETA: If they really want to slow-burn this Orton thing, they could run Bryan/Dolph/Ryback/Rowan vs. Orton/Rollins/Show/Kane at Mania and save the turn for then. It would give all of those people something to do other than pad the Battle Royal.

Yeah I mean this obvious insincere promo also had complete facts like Heyman taking Roman in Rumble and taking him over Bryan just because. Let's consider who's writing this, and let's consider the fact that he has no f'n clue how to get a babyface over in front of his audience in the year 2015. Most of the guys he tries to ship down the card end up more over than the ones he focuses on. If Vince started paying attention to Sandow I'm sure he could kill his reaction in a month or so.

IF ROMAN REIGNS SAYS "I'm better than Austin. I'm better than Shawn Michaels. I'm better than..." -- I get why the audience boos. That's an arrogant statement. Even if he's a confidence face, if you like Austin better, you'll be mad at that.

But if the audience is booing for the reasons you say they are -- That members of the audience are watching a heel cut a promo on his client's opponent, and are sitting there and saying: "This isn't Heyman saying this. This is Vince McMahon trying to ram Roman Reigns down our throats! He thinks Roman is that good and he's not! He's not ready yet! He was carried in The Shield! BOOOO!!!!"

If it's as you all say, then we're at the point where wrestling fandom is the worst. Literally the worst. How is that line of thinking even remotely fun when you go watch a live theatrical performance? We're now at a point where thousands of people go to an arena to make these meta critical judgments about something they are watching unfold. Would you do that for movies?

How is that even remotely fun or productive for life in any manner whatsoever? WWE live audiences are now filled with Comic Book Guys. It's the worst.

• Like 4

But if the audience is booing for the reasons you say they are -- That members of the audience are watching a heel cut a promo on his client's opponent, and are sitting there and saying: "This isn't Heyman saying this. This is Vince McMahon trying to ram Roman Reigns down our throats! He thinks Roman is that good and he's not! He's not ready yet! He was carried in The Shield! BOOOO!!!!"

If it's as you all say, then we're at the point where wrestling fandom is the worst. Literally the worst. How is that line of thinking even remotely fun when you go watch a live theatrical performance? We're now at a point where thousands of people go to an arena to make these meta critical judgments about something they are watching unfold. Would you do that for movies?

How is that even remotely fun or productive for life in any manner whatsoever? WWE live audiences are now filled with Comic Book Guys. It's the worst.

Worst crowd ever, you might say. But yes - that crowd was much more anti-Roman than Memphis was and it was pretty clear to me why they were booing, regardless of what side of the issue any of us are on. Live theater and movies aren't a very good comparison, because the creative forces behind that are focused on giving their audience what they are currently seeking. WWE's creative is focused on Vince telling the people what they want and insisting on framing his company to look a specific way even if his loyal customer base is telling him to stop.

It really speaks to the passion of wrestling fans to go there just to say "fuck this shit," because if a certain director of films or theater consistently and deliberately pissed off their target audience, the audience wouldn't protest, they'd just stop going.

• Like 1