DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KOFI KINGSTON

RIPPA

w/Kelly Kelly vs Santino Marella and Layla

vs Edge

w/R-Truth and Brodus Clay vs The Miz, Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger

w/R-Truth, Christian and Santino Marella vs David Otunga, Cody Rhodes and The Prime Time Playas

vs Dolph Ziggler

Is there a youtube montage of his royal rumble escapes?

Well?  I looked, couldn't find any.  There SHOULD be one.  

Kofi Kingston from Jamaica > Kofi Kingston from Ghana.

Yep.  I didn't like it when it first debuted, but now I've mellowed (pun intended) with time and Kofi's happy-go-lucky fake-Jamaican gimmick was pretty fun.  Kinda like an ethnic RVD with less stiffness and arrogance.  

Is there a more "we said meh" wrestler ever?

YES, FOWLER, MANY!  Prince Iaukeau was "meh", Dennis Knight with his clothes on was "meh", Kofi is pretty damn good.  

I once met a man with strong opinions on Kofi Kingston.

Was it me?  

This thread makes me sad.  And sort of stabby.  But mostly sad.

Yeah, it does make me feel a little bit like 

C'mon, guys.  Kofi Kingston is a high-flying, crowd-pleasing, children-amazing, highlight-reel-feeding everlasting gobstopper of a wrestler.  WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM?  That his matches are too formulaic?  Gee, in modern WWE corporate-scripted land with ten agents and a hundred writers, I'm sure that's all his fault.  What are his downsides?  He's gotten hurt a coupla times and hurt some other guys a coupla times, but those were all standard-business Act Of God unfortunate accidents that are inevitably gonna happen during a wrestler's career.  (And don't gimme that "Bret Hart never hurt anybody" bullshit, Bret's well-known for his own high opinion of himself and there's no way in his entire career that he literally never once made a mistake which ended up with the other guy going to the hospital; or worse, toughing it out through the next set of dates.)  

Kofi flips, flops, and flies just like Rob Van Dam but with WAY less injury to his opponents.  What, you think some of his moves look a little light?  Then you go fucking make his house show bookings yourself and do it better.  Every day of the week.  Fifty-two weeks a year.  With the WWE's infamously demanding travel schedule and their infamously cold-hearted attitude towards guys who don't come back quickly enough.  (And don't say "Hey yeah but they let Stone Cold sit out for an entire year," that's because he's STONE COLD and they weren't taking any chances with the goldenest of geese, they were treating him like Steve Rhodes treated his semi-unpleasable wife Marcy and bowing to his every whim and he STILL made a questionable decision to do the barely-walking "run-in" at Backlash)

Kofi has a Royal Rumble gimmick.  How many other guys have that?  Serious question.  Maybe Shawn Michaels, Kane, Kevin Nash... and are you going to seriously tell me, with a straight face, that Kofi Kingston isn't a consistently better in-ring performer than Kevin fuckin' Nash?  

And can you IMAGINE the pressure he's under to make those planned Royal Rumble moments work?  He's KNOWN for it.  He has to top himself every year.  And he has to do it live on television and in front of thousands of screaming people.  Under the hot sweaty lights, on the cold concrete, that shit is HARDER THAN YOU THINK to do.  And has he ever botched it?  Well?  I can't remember any incidents offhand.  

"Meh".  Jesus wept.  

• Like 2

Nash's best matches are better than Kofi's best matches.

As some WKO guys tend to say, Ultimate Warrior's best matches are better than Brad Armstrong's best matches.  So what?  Is anybody gonna argue Warrior is a better worker, a better ring general, and which one of them would YOU rather trust your body with on a bodyslam?  And if Kofi had the luck or selfishness to get booked or book himself in countless matches against all the greatest superworkers of his generations in top main event spots with all the promotion's focus and money and everything giving the rocket-to-the-moon push (instead of doing jobs to guys like Miz in the midcard of an infinite number of forgotten Smackdowns) then maybe just maybe Kofi could've netted himself a few of those five-snowflake epic matchterpieces.  The main knock against Kofi's finish is that it doesn't look like it hurts enough; the main knock against Nash's finish is how goddamn dangerous and painful and injury-prone it was.  Also, I'd be willing to wager that Nash's WORST matches make Kofi's worst nights look like Flair/Steamboat in comparison.  

To put a little description with the 'meh':

To me, Kofi's just... there. He doesn't do anything that makes him stand out or interest me, and he doesn't do anything to make me actively hate him. Maybe passively hate him because he doesn't stand out at all, but that's it. He's in the middle of all wrestling, almost a ghost. If you notice him and like him, more power to you.